Sponsored by:

Input on moving to another 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Input on moving to another 997 TT

I currently have an 07 TT. Although I love it it's getting up there in mileage (59k) I'm thinking of trading it in for another 997 TT.. I love my car in every respect except that it's black and I can't deal with cleaning it twice a day.

What do you think about trading it in for a 08 or 09? I wouldn't care if it was another 07 actually.. I'm not going to bother trying to sell it.. I have a independant Porsche dealer I work with that will give me a good price for my car and find me another car. The new TT in 2013 will be out of my price range so that is not an option..

Should I keep my car? The value of these 07 TT's goes off a cliff after 60k miles.

I said when I got the car I don't car how many miles I put on it but......

Would like to get everyones input on this.. All my current mods would transfer to the next car..

Thanks !!!

Phillip
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

The 09 has the updated electronics (NAV, SAT and iPod input and control) I had to spend nearly 2k to get that on my 07. If those things aren't important then go with a low mileage 07 or 08. You could also look for options you wish you have on your current car such as sport chrono or sport seats, etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did trade out of a black 911 for my current Altas Grey and I gotta say, it is lower maintenance on the cleaning!!!

If you can get a good deal then why not!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If the car is set up to your liking, have you thought about repainting it a different color? I know what you mean about black cars.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I currently have an 07 TT. Although I love it it's getting up there in mileage (59k) I'm thinking of trading it in for another 997 TT.. I love my car in every respect except that it's black and I can't deal with cleaning it twice a day.

What do you think about trading it in for a 08 or 09? I wouldn't care if it was another 07 actually.. I'm not going to bother trying to sell it.. I have a independant Porsche dealer I work with that will give me a good price for my car and find me another car. The new TT in 2013 will be out of my price range so that is not an option..

Should I keep my car? The value of these 07 TT's goes off a cliff after 60k miles.

I said when I got the car I don't car how many miles I put on it but......

Would like to get everyones input on this.. All my current mods would transfer to the next car..

Thanks !!!

Phillip
My input would be unless you really can't stand your current car and can tolerate the depreciation hits then move to another car.

As for your current car's value falling off a cliff when it hits 60K miles I don't know about that.

What I do know is the value falls off a cliff when you buy the car new or another car used and then on top of that take a hit on your trade in.

But if you really really can't stand dealing with a black car...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If i were selling my tt.1 at this late stage in the game i'd look at a gen 2 manual. If you don't plan making 900whp i fail to see the point in changing one gen 1 for another gen 1 based on mileage alone. I know a lot own guys here are stuck on the idea the gen 1 engine is more bullet proof but there is no evidence to date that would support the gen 2 engine as being weaker. Porsche has clearly moved on from the gen 1. and havent stopped increasing the cars perfromance. I also doubt they would be using an engine which has future development limitations, in fact to the contrary. The only drawback in the gen 2 series appears to the pdk box which by tests has so far proven to have limitations to how far you can go increasing the engine's HP. But let's face it, how many of us really end up upping the power beyond 600 whp anyway? The gen 2 car is clearly a better package out of the box so, on that score there is at least some justification in paying extra dollars for a changeover in 997 cars. Having owned 2 basalt black 911s previously I'm a big fan of black 911's and whilst i love the change to GT silver my next TT will be probably be a black one again. Colour is a personal thing anyway so just go for what ever your colour of choice is and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Your'e the one driving the car. GL. And is so far as the mods you can always sell them off and take your price if they don't suit the gen 2 car.
There are tunes for the gen 2 and exhausts etc, probably all which produce a better result than what you currently have now.

Last edited by speed21; 08-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 557 Posts

I can understand moving on because of the black maintenance. My son had a black '07 TT, had fun with it, and moved on with growing family to a Chevy Avalanche truck. Happier now.

I keep my Porsches around 10 years, and am now at 64K. I would not move on for miles reasons.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally, I am not a fan of black cars, but it so happened that I got a black-on-black 997TT. It's a bitch to keep clean so I do not bother much (I clean it, but I do not sweat it when it rains and I want/have to drive, wash it once a week or fortnight), anyway, this car is for driving not for showing off. A little bit of dirt on the sides and the back does not bother me. On the other hand, if I could choose, I'd get the same car with same black HREs but, in Audi-speak, "Daytona Gray" color, I love that color.

Right now I wish I could change to a 2008 GT2 (also black on black in fact) that I found for sale. It is fabulous. Unfortunately I cannot afford it, and I cannot afford switching to another, newer, Turbo. Mine is 2007 with 43k on the clock (I put 6k on the clock in 3 months! cannot stop driving it!) and tuned.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is, Phillip.
If I were in your position (though I do not know how you have it financially), I'd go for GT2. For me this is The pinacle of 997 model and generally The pinacle of 911 line.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
If i were selling my tt.1 at this late stage in the game i'd look at a gen 2 manual. If you don't plan making 900whp i fail to see the point in changing one gen 1 for another gen 1 based on mileage alone. I know a lot own guys here are stuck on the idea the gen 1 engine is more bullet proof but there is no evidence to date that would support the gen 2 engine as being weaker. Porsche has clearly moved on from the gen 1. and havent stopped increasing the cars perfromance. I also doubt they would be using an engine which has future development limitations, in fact to the contrary. The only drawback in the gen 2 series appears to the pdk box which by tests has so far proven to have limitations to how far you can go increasing the engine's HP. But let's face it, how many of us really end up upping the power beyond 600 whp anyway? The gen 2 car is clearly a better package out of the box so, on that score there is at least some justification in paying extra dollars for a changeover in 997 cars. Having owned 2 basalt black 911s previously I'm a big fan of black 911's and whilst i love the change to GT silver my next TT will be probably be a black one again. Colour is a personal thing anyway so just go for what ever your colour of choice is and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Your'e the one driving the car. GL. And is so far as the mods you can always sell them off and take your price if they don't suit the gen 2 car.
There are tunes for the gen 2 and exhausts etc, probably all which produce a better result than what you currently have now.
Ferrari has also moved from F40, but I still would love to have that old-school Turbo-animal.

Porsche did not mind putting 3.6 in the GT2 RS, the swansong of 997 line. The problem is - that engine is too dirty given current emissions limitations and also has relatively high consumption (even though this should be of minor concern for owners, but look at Aventador that will come with start-stop and cylinder shut-down to save a couple of litres of fuel). But most important of all, that engine is simply too expensive to produce, and manufacturers like to increase their margins, even Porsche (now part of VW, and look at that "Porsche" Macan, that is made on Audi platform with Audi engines...)

Also, at least for me, it is not all about power and another 0.5 seconds to 125mph.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Thanks so much for all the input everyone.. Just to clarify.. My car has every optiion you can think of.. So it's not that the car is lacking.. The thought of a PDK for my "fun" car is not acceptable.. I have driven them with P car loaners and they are quite boring. I'm guess I'm old school. I guess I'll put my feelers out there and see what happens. If I could find a white one with a black interior with PCCB's and yellow belts I will jump on it...

Interesting enough I was talking to my independant dealer (i have bought three P cars form him) yesterday. I told him to start looking for a car for me. He sent me a link for a white 07 with PCCB's and 46k miles. They (Auto Gallery) wanted $83k for it!!! He said he could get it for $78k.

That is more than I paid for my car two years ago (I paid 76k with 40k miles and my car has way more options than this white one.)

He told me that the price has actually gone up on the 07's recently... Hmmmmm.... When you look at the ads there is so much disparity in price...

I guess the problem is I'm very obsessed about keeping my cars clean. I have been around race cars all my life and my father instilled that quality in me. I cannot drive my car if it is dirty...Sick I know but true. So that is why I clean the car twice a day.. I cleaned it before I came to work and I'll clean it again before I go to the gym later..

I'll see what happens.. As far as getting a GT2... My friend has a GT2 RS.. Oh my God what a beast. That is my dream car but out of my reach financially at this time.. I'm starting a new job in January with a Hedge fund... Maybe then I can step it up....

Than ks again everyone.. I'll let you know what turns up...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Editorial in one of the UK indy Porsche mags touched upon the rise in used Porsche values. IIRC this arises from an improving (?) economy and a short supply of good used cars due to poor sales there for a few years.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Interesting.. Well I guess that's a good thing.... Improving economy?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

[QUOTE=phillipj. I told him to start looking for a car for me. He sent me a link for a white 07 with PCCB's and 46k miles. They (Auto Gallery) wanted $83k for it!!! He said he could get it for $78k.

...[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't buying this car defeats the purpose of selling your current car
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj

He told me that the price has actually gone up on the 07's recently... Hmmmmm.... When you look at the ads there is so much disparity in price...
Smells like good old sales BS to me. I wouldn't count on it.

Buy the '09 and pick a color of your choice and the upgrades listed above.

Geoff
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If you change go for an '09 with less than 20k mls. Otherwise I do not see a benefit.

You could wrap the car in any color you want if color is bothering you. You could go for a cool color like riviera blue.

Quick Reply: Input on moving to another 997 TT