Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 997 TT owners regret not getting PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Any 997 TT owners regret not getting PDK?

Thinking about changing things up down the road, and I'm torn between going with the traditional manual or giving in and getting the PDK.

Having had a DSG in a VW GTI, and realizing that the PDK is more impressive for many reasons (obviously), I know the potential of these gearboxes, but they leave me somewhat bored. I tended to leave the DSG in drive and hold a cup of coffee in the other, when I should have been working the paddles.

The power and delivery of the turbo would make sense with a PDK, but is it as fun? My friend's TTS is SICK fast, but I felt the only thing involved in driving it was my stomach (which was in my throat), and my right foot. My heart, not so much. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.

I'd appreciate your comments even though this is something that I just likely have to answer myself.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 AM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all. Six speed is the only way to go for me.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Noway!
I stick with the manual as long as I can, I do not care if I am slower than one of those robots. Yes, I do drive my car daily in city traffic.
I tried robot once - I was bored beyond belief.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Stick is still the ticket for me. Maybe in retirement or when yours truly is old, I'll go for a PDK, but till then I will be holding the stick fort!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

In 2006 when PDK was around the corner at Porsche (we hoped) I was really longing to get that new technology in my next car. When it was clear it was not coming I 'settled' for a manual turbo. When the PDK cars finally came out I wanted to test drive one asap. So I did. Felt unexcited and was happy to get into my manual turbo. Still my next car was DSG equipped and although it is far from bad it turned out to be just an other automatic. Once the novelty wore off I didn't use the paddles anymore and just left it in D. I found shortcomings when parallel parking on steep slopes. All in all I prefer a full auto (daily family car) or manual (fun weekend car).
PDK, as it turned out, is not for me.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

FWIW I think the PDK is the only trans you can get in a TTS. There is no 6-speed option. However, I think you have the option of a 6-speed or PDK with a regular 2010 (6-speed or TIP-S 07-09) or later turbo. I haven't driven a car with the PDK so I can't compare the two. However, I did have the option of an 07 with a TIP or a 6-speed and chose the TIP for DD use in VA and DC (horrible traffic). I agree with the other posters though, my TIP is boring but very efficient for DD use.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is another topic that can run and run infinitum. For every driver that says he prefers a manual there will be another who swears by his tip or PDK. Just get what works for you and be happy with that. Me personally, if the car is a sports car, i'm a manual guy at heart, altho that said whenever i have that rare moment stuck in a stop start traffic situation i ponder the thought of getting a slush box. Funny thing is that thought never lasts much beyond that day/situation purely because the next minute/day im back driving it as it's meant too be driven. And, I figure if owning a car like this results in wasting the majority of its mileage in bumper to bumper traffic then that defeats the entire purpose of what this car was essentially designed for (ie sporty driving fun). There are simply better cars to use in regular heavy traffic environments and whilst a Porsche can be used if its pdk/tip, there are better cars for that. That said, if you want an auto then no problem, just get it bought and be happy with it. It's not as if a pdk or tip porsche is a bad thing.....far from it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

No regrets, and I'd do it again today. '09 Turbo cab is 6sp, and though I know the PDK crowd loves their PDK, it's not for me. Get what YOU want....drive both, then see. If you like the way the PDK feels to you, you'll know. I know it's not for me, as I love rowing the standard gearshift through the motions....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Rodbuster
Intermediate

No automatic for me, stick shift FTW!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Another 6-speed guy. I just can't imagine getting PDK (or previously Tip).

When I got my 09TT one challenge was finding a 6-speed with the right options (lots of Tips around at the time). Luckily my dealer had just received my car with basically EXACTLY the options I would have ordered (Adaptive Seats, short shifter, thicker steering wheel, limited slip, PCCBs, and the usual basic but desirable options, plus all red taillights and body colored Turbo designation both of which I wouldn't have ordered but like a lot.)

I've been driving sticks for virtually my whole life and can't see changing, at least until I hit 80 or so.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

For track PDK is king....for the road you can never top shifting
Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Not that the 'voting' needs another manual vote, but my '12 Turbo is also a manual and nothing else needs apply for the job. I am entirely content with my other cars being 'automatic', but in no variant of the 911 does it makes sense for me. The 911 is such an involving car and to make it a PDK - at least for me - has me bored in 10 minutes. When I hear about the launch control and 1/4 mile times, my response is always ....'really, you buy a 911 to drag race it???. I don't get it.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tbo12
Not that the 'voting' needs another manual vote, but my '12 Turbo is also a manual and nothing else needs apply for the job. I am entirely content with my other cars being 'automatic', but in no variant of the 911 does it makes sense for me. The 911 is such an involving car and to make it a PDK - at least for me - has me bored in 10 minutes. When I hear about the launch control and 1/4 mile times, my response is always ....'really, you buy a 911 to drag race it???. I don't get it.

I can't remember the last time i longed for lauch control in my TT.. Maybe if I'm entered in a Cup race with a standing starting grid... That doesn't happen too often..
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm losing inerest in the PDK in SF. It has some of the manual issues that one cannot finesse or control given no clutch pedal. The clutches definitely disengage. I stalled on a hill in SF yesterday as a result!! Had I been in complete control with clutch and gas and anticipated it then the stall never woulda happened. Odd!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Now in Sport Plus mode in the ttS I am quite a bit faster per lap on the road course than I am in my 6 speed tt, but, it is rare that I run the ttS at the track since for me anyway it does not make sense to take a 170k + car thru those paces when I have a 50k car that is more set up for it and I stand to damage less on the lower valued car.

I feel they are both amazing in their own way and I can see why some who love sawing away at the manual might miss that if they had an automatic.

Quick Reply: Any 997 TT owners regret not getting PDK?