Sponsored by:

Tracking My 997 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Tracking My 997 TT?

I use to track my 08 MB CLK63 AMG Black Series. The BS is designed for the track so I had no problems. My "tracking" friends are going to the Virginia Internaitonal Raceway (VIR) in August to track their M3's and Ferrari's and want to know if I would bring my 997. Question-is the 997 a good track car too? If so, what can I expect and how will the car perform on a typically dry, hot, humid 3.3 mile professional road couse?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 997 is up to the task of track duties over and above any M3 and from what I've seen ferraris as well. Take it and find out for yourself. Just do a brake fluid change with synthetic and wind on as much neg camber on the front alignment as the strut towers will allow (should be @1 deg or a touch more) and go and chase yourself some ferraris and m3's down.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I use to track my 08 MB CLK63 AMG Black Series. The BS is designed for the track so I had no problems. My "tracking" friends are going to the Virginia Internaitonal Raceway (VIR) in August to track their M3's and Ferrari's and want to know if I would bring my 997. Question-is the 997 a good track car too? If so, what can I expect and how will the car perform on a typically dry, hot, humid 3.3 mile professional road couse?
There are a few things you can do to be very competitive but have to happen before you get to VIR full course. I track my turbo pretty regular so pm me and we can discuss.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your 997TT will do great! Your friend's Ferraris will be parked in the paddock with overheated brakes, trannys and engines. Now, go represent.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Your 997TT will do great! Your friend's Ferraris will be parked in the paddock with overheated brakes, trannys and engines. Now, go represent.
Yep. They drop like flies. The "friends" will be be regretting you ever bringing that dang 997tt to the party lol.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

PM sent
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
floridaBMW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is great on track. Flush the brake fluid no matter what and a good alignment then go have fun. Once ur comfortable with a boosted rear engine car then start modding the suspension....imo.

Ken
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Although I've read and watched videos of TT's on the track I still wanted to ensure the info was correct. IMO the only way to get the real story/truth is to ask the opinions of those who have actually tracked their cars. I've tracked my BS at VIR (blew almost everyone away) last year which can be a brutal and at the same time, very challenging and rewarding experience. Thinking I might track again this year I recently changed my brake fluid to Royal Blue and my motor oil to Motul racing and, I changed the air and cabin filters . My tires are filled with nitrogean and my alignment is good. Anyway, that's what I did for my BS last year. What about cooling and shifting? I left my BS in auto mode (did not use my paddles) which BTW shifts better than a human can and since my car is a tiptronic should I do the same?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have heard to leave the A/C on as it will help with the cooling of the engine. The computer will shut off the compressor as needed. I would put the car in sport mode and let the car do the shifting until you get comfortable with the car and the track.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Although I've read and watched videos of TT's on the track I still wanted to ensure the info was correct. IMO the only way to get the real story/truth is to ask the opinions of those who have actually tracked their cars. I've tracked my BS at VIR (blew almost everyone away) last year which can be a brutal and at the same time, very challenging and rewarding experience. Thinking I might track again this year I recently changed my brake fluid to Royal Blue and my motor oil to Motul racing and, I changed the air and cabin filters . My tires are filled with nitrogean and my alignment is good. Anyway, that's what I did for my BS last year. What about cooling and shifting? I left my BS in auto mode (did not use my paddles) which BTW shifts better than a human can and since my car is a tiptronic should I do the same?
Get my PM I sent you?

Here are some in-car vids on my TT on track at Roebling Road and VIR North course. Stock power levels and minimal suspension and brake mods. At RRR I'm sub 1:20s with a passenger my 1st time there in this car. It has high 1:17/low 1:18s in it with practice which is what my buds in there GT3RSs run on shaved RA1s.

RRR: Watch in 480P

VIR: Watch in 720P
Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by function12
I have heard to leave the A/C on as it will help with the cooling of the engine. The computer will shut off the compressor as needed. I would put the car in sport mode and let the car do the shifting until you get comfortable with the car and the track.

Some tracks may get unhappy about that as is it dripping water on track. Not a lot but some of the track s have a hair up their A$$s . . . LOL.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running a mix of 50% unleaded race fuel (~100 octane) with 50% premium unleaded will ensure you don't get pre-detonation and will keep the ecu from pulling timing to compensate. It should be available at the track. Gas is cheap; motors are expensive!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You are on the right track :-) No pun intended. You will have blast. As for tire pressures, go with 28 psi all around (cold).
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Doc GTO for the invaluable tracking info you sent in your PM. I will begin making the changes this week. BTW, I'm going to replace my OEM N-spec Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. From what I've read they seem to be a very good tire for daily driving (although my 997 is not a DD) and an adequate track tire.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 512bb
You are on the right track :-) No pun intended. You will have blast. As for tire pressures, go with 28 psi all around (cold).
You're right and I found that out the hard way last year when I tracked my BS. I checked my tire pressure after my first circuit and found that it had increased approximately 15psi (from 38psi nitrogen) which caused my Pirelli Corsa's (great track tire, terrible street tire) to lose traction. Upon lowering the pressure to 25psi cold my traction problem disappeared. So, I will lower my pressure to 28psi cold all around before I get on the track. Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Tracking My 997 TT?