Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is upgraded Plenum worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is upgraded Plenum worth the money?

I am nooby when it comes to 997T upgrades.

I've been reading about these plenums, in particular about IPD Race Plenum, which is sold by Suncoast.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=997TURBO

The following is written:

"Adding bolt-on horsepower to the 997 Turbo is a continuous quest by many enthusiasts looking for more power. Reverting back to old tuning technologies, Agency Power has developed a larger throttle body and plenum kit for the Porsche 997 Turbo to gain added performance. The point of a larger throttle body is to get in more air. The more air you bring in, the more power you make. The 997 Turbo's engine intake system works off pulses, so how that air is diverted to either side of the engine is not as important as the volume incoming. The plenum kit includes an OEM Porsche Cayenne Turbo throttle body (part# 94860511503) which is a direct bolt on and plug in for the electronic throttle control with no modifications needed. This throttle body has a 77.64mm inner diameter compared to the stock one of 75.64mm. We chose to go with this smaller diameter throttle body to give the car more low end horsepower and torque. If the diameter of the throttle body is to big, it will increase turbo lag and performance gains will only be made at the mid to top end RPM range. Since most 997 Turbo users drive their car on the street and track, we developed this product to substantially increase throttle response and improve "usable" power.

The Agency Power plenum kit is made using high quality 6061 aluminum that has been TIG welded and pressure tested in a T shape to mimic the OEM design. The CNC machined 4 bolt throttle body flange features a groove to accompany a rubber o-ring to ensure a secure and sealed fit with the OEM Porsche Cayenne throttle body. The T plenum features the necessary fittings for stock vacuum hoses and breather lines and includes a 1 way check valve needed. Each T plenum is powder coated gloss black for an OEM look and includes new silicone couplers in black and worm clamps to secure it to the factory intake manifolds. The installation of the plenum requires removal of the factory airbox and Y pipe to access the component. Recommended installation time is approximately 3 hours. Installation of the Agency Power plenum kit DOES NOT require the ECU to be flashed. The factory ECU will adjust accordingly to the change in throttle body diameter. However, corresponding mods including an ECU flash will only bring out additional power. As it stands alone, the plenum kit will add a bolt on 20 wheel horsepower to your Porsche 997 Turbo. As tested on a VR700 kit, the plenum added nearly 45 horsepower and 60 ft/lbs of torque. This product features the Agency Power 90 day warranty and is Made in the USA."

My car is 6-speed 997.1 2007 Turbo with 200cell cats and ECU flash, producing peak 565bhp and 560lbft. Stock clutch. H&R springs.

I have questions:

1) Would addition of just Plenum (without reflash) improve the performance (power and response)?

2) Is concurrent installation of improved Y-pipe necessary or more like "icing on a cake" (=even more added performance)?

3) The diameter increase for this particular plenum is only 2mm, but the promissed power increase on stock car with no ECU flash is 20hp (45hp on a VR700). Is it realistic or just a marketing trick?

4) What is a better performance upgrade: improved exhaust manifolds or plenum?

Thanks for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all.. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FOR YOUR TURBO BY AGENCY!!! That kit is a total piece of garbage. Poorly made..Poorly engineered.. It's a piece of crap.. All Agency stuff is crap. Their CF airbox is a total joke. And don't get me started on Vivid.. I had it (the plenum and TB kit) on my car and took it off after a month... A total waste of money.

Plus if your going to change your throttle body it should be the GT3 TB and not the Cayenne TB that Vivid sells.

Anything you do to increase airflow and cooling will increase performance on a turbo. So if you do all those IPD mods you should get a revised ECU map for the best results. What flash do you have? Promotive of Softronic I hope.. What exhaust is on the car?

Since you have already done the flash.. You might want to consider an IC upgrade before the plenum and Y pipe. I started a recent thread on the GT2 RS inercooler mod you may want to take a look at..

The parts from IPD are expensive. It's up to you.. If you want to do the plenum and TB make sure you order IPD's kit. It has the correct TB and a decent coupling hose for the TB to the Y pipe.. if You plan on a DIY for this (like I did) you will need to loosen the motormounts to lower the engine to give you enough room to work on the plenum and plumbing. It's not an easy job..

You have been warned about Agency...

Last edited by phillipj; 06-27-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Save your money. The plenum upgrade from what I've heard is more myth than performance upgrade.

Jay
Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

phillipj. Sound advice Buyer beware.

DJ23. Agree totally. I recall my last ipd plenum install on my 997S. My butt dyno couldn't feel a damn thing no matter how hard i tried. My wallet did though
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

DJ23. Agree totally. I recall my last ipd plenum install on my 997S. My butt dyno couldn't feel a damn thing no matter how hard i tried. My wallet did though[/QUOTE]

Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Thumbs up

DEAR FELLOW PORSCHE OWNERS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by phillipj
First of all.. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FOR YOUR TURBO BY AGENCY!!! That kit is a total piece of garbage. Poorly made..Poorly engineered.. It's a piece of crap.. All Agency stuff is crap. Their CF airbox is a total joke. And don't get me started on Vivid.. I had it (the plenum and TB kit) on my car and took it off after a month... A total waste of money.

Plus if your going to change your throttle body it should be the GT3 TB and not the Cayenne TB that Vivid sells.

Anything you do to increase airflow and cooling will increase performance on a turbo. So if you do all those IPD mods you should get a revised ECU map for the best results. What flash do you have? Promotive of Softronic I hope.. What exhaust is on the car?

Since you have already done the flash.. You might want to consider an IC upgrade before the plenum and Y pipe. I started a recent thread on the GT2 RS inercooler mod you may want to take a look at..

The parts from IPD are expensive. It's up to you.. If you want to do the plenum and TB make sure you order IPD's kit. It has the correct TB and a decent coupling hose for the TB to the Y pipe.. if You plan on a DIY for this (like I did) you will need to loosen the motormounts to lower the engine to give you enough room to work on the plenum and plumbing. It's not an easy job..

You have been warned about Agency...
Phillip, my car is manual 2007 Turbo with rear LSD.
It has Sportec exhaust with 200cell cats and Sportec ECU map for peak 573hp and 766Nm. Also H&R springs.

Thanks for the tip, I will not think about plenum anymore.
What do you think about GT2RS intercoolers, worthwhile upgrade? Mind you, I live in a country where 30+C temps are quite seldom (maybe one-two weeks a year), otherwise 20-25 degrees. Also, I do not do any track whatsoever, only highways, winding 40mph roads and city.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Also, what about the upgraded engine mounts, like these:

Are these worthwhile upgrades?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Phillip, my car is manual 2007 Turbo with rear LSD.
It has Sportec exhaust with 200cell cats and Sportec ECU map for peak 573hp and 766Nm. Also H&R springs.

Thanks for the tip, I will not think about plenum anymore.
What do you think about GT2RS intercoolers, worthwhile upgrade? Mind you, I live in a country where 30+C temps are quite seldom (maybe one-two weeks a year), otherwise 20-25 degrees. Also, I do not do any track whatsoever, only highways, winding 40mph roads and city.
Our cars sound very similar. Read the thread here on the GT2RS intercoolers. I am thinking about getting them as well. They are not "plug and play". I'd like to hear some more feedback about them first....
Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Also, what about the upgraded engine mounts, like these:

Are these worthwhile upgrades?

I'm not knowledgable about these mounts. I do know that you may get more feedback in the cockpit.. That can include additional vibration as well, I'm not qualified to really give an opinion....

Quick Reply: Is upgraded Plenum worth the money?