Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second round of mods - H&R and cosmetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a word of advice, with all due respect.
Everything that we own, of the material things, is in my humble opinion worth what the next man is willing to pay for. Sitting on 2 sets of wheels, brings zero in your pocket, they collect dust, and become even more difficult to sell as they get older. In the end you do a garage sale and let them go for nothing in 10 years.
Get a few grand now, I am not saying give them away, but compromise with what you THINK they are worth and what they ARE worth. And blow the money on the 997TT, on a tune or suspension (wait you did that!!) or yellow seatbelts, and a yellow tacho meter like our favorite Greek moderator did, or an exhaust (best money I spent on the car). You will be a lot happier by doing so, and your garage will have less junk.

Unless of course you still have the aforementioned 997S and 996... then pardon me just put them on and sell the stock ones!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

This bloody yellow gauge will prolly hunt me for ever.

After all the effort that went into the GT3.. what most people will notice first is the gauge face.. Now I know why it was so cheap.. : )

Your car looks great! You know that I don't really understand all this LED frenzy, but I can appreciate your hard work and passion.

How shorter are the HR springs? Do you have their rates?
Lower might look good, but it is not always better.

By design the 7.1 TT had quite a compromised suspension (travel wise) in the front.
Combined with a -10mm lowered chassis height than the C4 (on which it was based), different front-axle cross members, pick up points, modified wheel bearing housings, widened track by 18mm and a 22.5 x 3.5 front anti-roll bar, the TT's PASM made for an interesting exercise for suspension manufacturers and tuners that wanted to improve it.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

According to my readings on the 6, it is apparent that although there is no official info on the rates, the H&Rs have marginally softer rates than the factory! Of course being a progressive spring, and a shorter one for that matter, it makes up for a ride which is not softer overall, but certainly not "banging" stiff. I would rate it 10% stiffer overall. They are about 1 inch shorter, I will be measuring them over the weekend.

I had driven in Skandalis car which has these on, and the result for street driving was impressive. I have to admit I have not tracked this car, and I would like to occasionally, so we will put it to the test then.

Of the available springs the techarts are apparently one notch stiffer, and the GMG's are the stiffest. Both are eibach's under different specs.

Also there are several other things to play with including trailing arms and anti roll bars which I will pass for now, and revisit based on the needs of my driving.

Led frenzy is based on being different without altering the characteristics and "model" specs of the car... Plus it looks sooooo good in the rear view mirror! What is the point of having a huge turn signal????
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick you are awesome.. Your advice on the wheels is well taken. I have tried to sell my wheels and tires and very low price,, Still no takers... I will continue to try. And yes I agree about the exhaust..

Even though I already have a Techart exhaust I'm going to replace it with a custom 90mm catless system my "mad scientist" Turbo friend is making for me.

And just so you know why exhausts cost so much just the stainless and the labor for bending of the tubing is about $3k. My friend taught himself to TIG weld (and he's very good) so he will do the welding himself..

His car sounds like a CUP car..It's nasty and I love it. Fastest car I have ever driven.. Stock VTG's but custom IC's, Methanol injection, Custom made "Y" pipe (he made that too) 4 stage clutch and all kinds of other little "go fast" goodies. His car is blinding fast with almost no turbo lag.. And he is a very skilled performance driver (self taught as well.) I attached a Picture of his Turbo..

I guess I got off topic... Sorry.

My friend did the LED conversion to his turn signals as well. It looks awesome.. A very good mod. Should have come from Porsche like that in the first place..

All the best to everyone!

P.S. I'm a pretty good driver as well.. I can tell you that the H & R springs have almost eliminated the horrible understeer that car had with the stock set up. Now it goes where you point it.. Next will be sway bars..

Last edited by phillipj; 05-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I wonder if your understeer was dialed out form the alignment post installing the springs, or from the springs themselves...

Driving impressions:
The car drives stiffer, about 15% I would say. On open road avenues, with uneven pavement with speeds of 50-60 miles, I could even call it bouncy. Certainly not jarring or harsh, just bouncier. Lets say the type "if I were female, I would be needing a bra" bouncy! LOL. Thats due to speed over short bumps I guess.
On fast open highway, it transforms the car. Wobbly feeling gone. 100% gone. Ridiculous speeds autobahn style the car felt planted. Pushing the sport button was a must before, but the occasional unevenness on the pavement was jarring. Now, its not. No sport button, steady as she goes, warp speed.

I am impressed. It looks better, handles better and the sacrifices are few and measurable. And even if I fear the front lip will be one, it has yet to scrape hard (but then I am more cautious and the car has less bounce).

Measurements
REAR
Before: Reads 27.2 in. Cant read it of course, but I wrote it down.

After: Reads 26.5 in. Angle of the pic is slightly from above, dont be fooled.

FRONT
Before: reads 26.7

After: Reads 26

The car of Skand, one of the newer members here and a friend which we measured a couple of weeks back, has had them on since 2010 and measured 26.3 rear and 25.8 front.

Someone who has done a lot of research on suspension issues over on the 6, Cannga, (to give credit where due) prefers measurements to be done the factory way, from under the car, floor to specific points and he does have a point. The above method has a lot of margin for error of a few millimeters, to throw you off. But, my arm no longer fits under the car when lying on the floor to reach those measuring points!! And the 2ton "semi" pro car lifting thingamajig I have no longer fits under the car either for me to lift it at home!

So for future reference, here is the drawing he has uploaded, if someone wants to really measure the car's height properly, I consider it very good info. Stock measurements are 132mm front/153mm rear and most spring should be down 24mm or 1.1 inches approx.

--------------------

Finally, for the photo shoot part of this thread, here are the before and after pics, as well as the artistic ones!

Rear spacers are 16mm, and after lowering I urgently need fronts! Will go with factory 5's I think, or H&R 7s if I can get a pair easy.

BEFORE

AFTER (funny dip in the pavement, and a child in the back seat alters the way the car is sitting, seems more raised in the front.

BEFORE

AFTER

And the other side

Closeup

Overall Stance... and new black stone guards. Rusty rotors curtesy of the fresh wash!

Apart from the aforementioned springs, new mods include: GT3 Smile, black vinyl stone guards, and interior led lighs (dome & footwells)... And not in this pic, daytime running lights (conversion from factory with led replacement - Thanks for the hard work Skand, the result is spectacular).
Still waiting for the flat black hood crest which was sent back to be replaced...

Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing !
Always enjoyed seeing pictures of your car, still do :-)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Now you can make your own too Denis! We have the same car, same color!
I love those yellow brakes tho... that is next on my wish list, that is why I enjoyed your feedback with them. Keep posting as you put more miles on them... Its an expensive transplant, so I need to read up as much as I can.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick your car looks amazing. Great pictures......Love the black wheels with the Grey.. The ride height looks perfect. I get my spacers this week.. Like you mentioned... It needs them desperately!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good Nick.

Couple of things:

Is it just my eyes or is the rear a little lower than the front?

This bouncy reminds me of the coilovers. How is it in sports suspension mode now? Or do you mainly use the normal now the springs are in?

What is your rear camber settings? Looks like you have @ 2 looking at the pics. What is your front neg?

16mm spacers on rear to bring the wheels out sounds quite a lot too. You may need the dog bones.

I must as GTO Doc if he had to use spacers....
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
I love those yellow brakes tho... that is next on my wish list, that is why I enjoyed your feedback with them. Keep posting as you put more miles on them... Its an expensive transplant, so I need to read up as much as I can.
Looking for a quality German chip tuner I came across this, maybe it has some use for you:
http://www.schmid-motorsport.de/temp...=788&eid=22498
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I have the best tuner around, Skandalis, who looks after my car. His primary work is software, and I have seen, tested and driven his product as it has been installed in my partners car. Amazing.

Oh you mean brakes. Hmmmm.... will look into it with my babelfish translator...

Paul I will revert with alignment specs, handled by Dimitris. The front height is 26in the rear is 26.5... the first set of pics as I write over it there is a dip on the road which makes it look funny, and a 30kg child in the back seat!!! The pics in front of the graffiti should be a better reference...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Ok apparently for now, he has dialed -1 camber fronts with 0.8mm toe in and -1.8 camber in the rears and 2mm toe in. After a few spirited runs we will fine tune more...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

And the final mod is done and installed! Blacked out hood emblem.
I am content now... Will take a break for a weeeee bit.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you're not going a tune then Nick? I see the APR has come down now....or maybe not in Greece...
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

No not in Greece.
To be honest I am struggling with the idea. Perhaps next year. I have been against it in principle, especially on such a powerful car out of the box. But its tempting having seen what difference it makes... So I am struggling with it. For now, as long as I drive it so little and everytime I do the power is so "wow" I will leave it. Once the novelty (after a year and a half) wears perhaps I will succumb to the sirens...

Quick Reply: Second round of mods - H&R and cosmetic