Sponsored by:

Engine belt noise and center consul rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM
JH911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine belt noise and center consul rattle

Hi guys, new to this site but have been recommended here because it seems to give the right answers to questions.

I have a stock 997 Turbo 2007 with about 17,000 miles on the clock. Got the CPO extended warranty that will be over in about 2 months so wanted to see if this is something that can be addressed before it runs out and I get stuck with the whole bill.

I have two questions:
1. I have a squeak coming from the engine.
- I believe that it’s coming from the main belt - as the markings on the belt seem to go by in rhythm to the squeak. I have made a few movies of it and will link to a YouTube page.
- Video 1 & 2 – are from last year and show the normal sounds the car was making
- Video 3 & 4 – are from today and you can hear the sounds
- You can hear it in the movies but much more obvious if you are sitting in the car. The movies do not show how loud the noise is in and outside of the car.
- The noise happens after the engine is warmed up and is constant after 10-20 mins of driving
- It used to be worse when it was hot out and the engine was cold but now seems to be coming and going randomly.
- Pushing in the clutch makes the squeak go away or at least improve it.
- They have also replaced the clutch and throwout bearing
- I have already had the car in and they have replaced the AC compressor as they originally thought it was that.
- Car does not have any check engine or warning lights.
- Have been told the bests have an auto tension system on the so sounds like a bearing issue but not sure.
- Techs are saying that it is a normal sound and just to live with it….I’m not convinced but want to hear what you all think.

2. Rattle coming from the center console right under the shifter (car is a manual)
- Sounds like a plastic washer rattling but not sure what it could be. Have already had the techs take the whole thing apart and they say it’s nothing they can see. They do say they hear it as well but there is nothing they can do about it.
- Not a piece of plastic around the shifter, not from the hand break or from the storage compartment – as I have pushed on all of these areas and no change to the sound
- The only thing that does make it better is pushing down on the silver trim at the 6 o’clock position on the shifter.
- Did have the throw-out bearing replaced and that did resolve the problem for like 3-4 months last year but now its back just like before.
- Only happens if you are going over bumpy pavement.
- Clutch in or out has no difference.
- Just wondering if there is a common washer or plastic component that comes loose

Besides these little things, the car runs great as my daily driver and hasn’t had any issues.

Thanks for reading all this and for your comments and suggestions. I have run this by a few people and they are out of suggestions. If there is anything that I can answer more on please just ask. please just ask.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds a lot like a belt pulley making noise. When they replaced the AC compressor, did they check all of the pulleys and tensioner?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
JH911
AutoX

Yes they said they checked it and it was all ok.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
T_Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Video3 is where I hear the squeak coming from. Sounds like a tensioner or pulley.
What about when you turn on and off the AC? Any changes to the squeak?

Also, welcome to Rennlist
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM
JH911
AutoX

There is no change with the A/C on or off currently.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar rattle from the console. Had the console repalced and several attemts to stop it. On a recent long drive I determined it was the relase button on the hand break! It manifests like its around the gear lever but I held it depressed lightly and it stopped. I then pushed and twisted it a bit and to my surprise it stopped. May not be your issue but it sounds very similar. This had been going on for about a year.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
JH911
AutoX

I'll check that out but when I was playing with it before that did not change the noise. It seems to be coming from around the 6 o'clock position of the stick. Does anyone what runs under that area, just wondering if there is some wires or other plastic that could be loose.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
JH911
AutoX

Thanks for all the quick replies already!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM
T_Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Did they replace the serpentine belt when you had it in for service?
By the way, that definitely does not sound "normal".
Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
JH911
AutoX

Thank God someone agrees with me haha! I did think I was going crazy and this was normal. I didn't think it was either but have had it in 3 times and they say its "just a normal sound to this engine" and I would have to get used to it. I do not think they replaced it but not 100%
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like the alternator bearing is going out
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Spray the front part with wd40. Not the belt or pulley but between them. If the noise goes away then it's the alternator
Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
JH911
AutoX

For sure, I will try that.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick
I had a similar rattle from the console. Had the console repalced and several attemts to stop it. On a recent long drive I determined it was the relase button on the hand break! It manifests like its around the gear lever but I held it depressed lightly and it stopped. I then pushed and twisted it a bit and to my surprise it stopped. May not be your issue but it sounds very similar. This had been going on for about a year.
I had the same issue. Dealer replaced the Hand Brake.

Another rattle which seemed to be coming from the dash turned out to be 2 loose screws in the wheel arch.

Last edited by mm450exc; 07-27-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM
JH911
AutoX

Thats amazing, I would have never linked those two places. Thanks for that tip!

Quick Reply: Engine belt noise and center consul rattle