Sponsored by:

Engine belt noise and center consul rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JH911
Thats amazing, I would have never linked those two places. Thanks for that tip!
Tell me about it! I was 100% sure it was just under the passenger side dash - I thought the whole thing has to come out. The dealer tracked it down to the wheel arch but could not pinpoint the problem - they took the light out and when pressing on the wheel arch plastic it made that squeaking noise. They wanted the car for a few days but I had no time. So I took it apart at home and found the problem.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Another thing to check is the belt tensioner wheel. My '91 had a similar squeak and it was the bearing in the belt tensioner wheel. Not sure if the 997 has one but if it does its something else to check. An old trick is to get a long shaft screw driver and place the handle in against your ear and the tip on the various housing etc and listen for the noise. I think they also make an automotive "stethoscope" that has a long probe and ear pice but a screw driver works as well. Just be careful of moving parts!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
JH911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. I did play around with the hand break and that noise has almost disappeared.....that is amazing. The belt is still squeaking but according to the GT3 forum its a non-issue. Will keep an eye on it and if something does blow up, at least the dealer says everything is ok back there.

Thank you all again for the input!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. I did play around with the hand break and that noise has almost disappeared.....that is amazing. The belt is still squeaking but according to the GT3 forum its a non-issue. Will keep an eye on it and if something does blow up, at least the dealer says everything is ok back there.

Im not sure about it being a non issue. I recall on my last C2S a similar squeak. Wound up being the alternator. These things do get wet and for some reason can pack it in. It's not uncommon. The belts shouldn't be squeaking for no reason.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Late in the #3 video/audio clip I hear what to me sounds like a bad idler roller bearing.

My 03 Turbo developed a similar noise which I described as a dry bearing sound toe everyone I talked to. I managed to locate a shop (on a Saturday in Tehachapi CA) where the owner generously put the car on a lift with the engine idling.

Under the car we both heard the noise.

First we looked for any fluid leaks and found none. The noise as best we could tell was coming from up high in the accessory drive area.

Next Monday -- I cut short my road trip and turned around and headed home to get the car fixed (there was another problem, too, a non-functioning radiator fan) -- at the dealer the tech id'd the source of the noise as a bad idler rolller bearing the idler next to the power steering pump. He said the bad one was the cheapest to buy and repair.

No matter for this repair was covered by the car's CPO warranty. I do not recall the miles but I'm pretty sure it was under 40K miles.

With the engine cold and off check the belt. The ribs can have fine cracks across them, you can see these where the belt bends backwards around and idler roller, but none of the ribs should have any missing sections.

Also, feel the edges of the belt. When my 02 Boxster was making a noise I removed the belt to confirm the noise was not present if the belt absent with the engine running and accessory drives not spinning.

I determined the water pump was suspect #1 due to its play at the pulley/shaft compared to the other accessory drives which had no play.

But I noticed the belt's inner edge (new belt too, at most just a few months of being put into service) was sharp while the other edge was dull, rounded. I dug the old belt out and it had the same dull/rounded edges.

Clearly the new belt was rubbing and it was rubbing on the water pump pulley's inner side due to play that had the belt tracking wrong and rubbing as a result.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
JH911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much guys, I do not know what more to do. I keep telling the dealer that this is not normal but they keep saying it is. I do not think that Porsche would build a car that has squeeking belts and a constant rattle from the hand break.

Its very frustrating.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
09redviper
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much guys, I do not know what more to do. I keep telling the dealer that this is not normal but they keep saying it is. I do not think that Porsche would build a car that has squeeking belts and a constant rattle from the hand break.

Its very frustrating.
hello ..
any update ? Did u find a solution ?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:42 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 09redviper
hello ..
any update ? Did u find a solution ?
that thread is from 2012

Quick Reply: Engine belt noise and center consul rattle