Sponsored by:

Turbo S performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Turbo S performance mods?

I'd like to change the exhaust system for something louder. The Akrapovik looks and sounds really good. Anytime running it with software? Softronic seems to make good power. I don't really want to get too deep into the car just yet but these are the obvious first steps to me. Thoughts?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

homie you crazy, ain't it fast enuf ? get some noise and call it a day!!! Save yo scratch fo somtin else... nuf said
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
homie you crazy, ain't it fast enuf ? get some noise and call it a day!!! Save yo scratch fo somtin else... nuf said
I don't think you had enough seat time in it yet...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Jason, from an engineering perspective, I have never quite understood all the hype that’s on this forum and many others on tuning. Free to do what you want to your car obviously. We are taught in school that when we are designing, we must have a "window" of operating values. We design for optimum efficiency and longevity. Porsche has what I would consider some serious engineering in house. That Turbo S you have has some serious power. I have been reading some of the material that Porsche puts out on engine design, efficiency, output power and the “BALANCE” of overall design. Yes it true that you can extract additional power using “adaptations” to the original design but why? I always ask myself why didn’t Porsche do it? I read the book The Driving Force by Peter Shultz whom was the big Boss at Porsche in the 80’s. He comments on that very subject while having a conversation over diner with Don Johnson Miami Vice about his new Slant nose 930 turbo. He asked him if he liked his new 930 slant nose and Don replied “ I am taking it to “some guy” for upgrades” Peter responded “for what, we do all of that here all you have to do is ask me” Jason, if you have not read that book, read it! I checked it out at the public library and read it in a few days. It gives you insight on the thinking that goes inside at Porsche. Most of it is followed today. On a side note, homie you crazy, ain't it fast enuf ? get some noise and call it a day!!! Save yo scratch fo somtin else... He is right on man!

Drive my Prius for a week, then drive your Turbo S. I don't have a Turbo S but I do have a 07 TT and I am in love with that car! I don't miss my 993 S or the RS America one bit! I can only imagine what the Turbo S is like.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on the above comments, however there is a point to be made on exhaust sound for the 997. I have the 07 TT as well, so different engine, however the DFI also sounds bad from what I gather.

I suggest you look at europipe (www.europipe.be). Best money ever spent on my car, best mod performed in all the cars that I ever owned. Build quality is unsurpassed and I have yet to read of an unhappy customer. Turbos seem to spool faster, exhaust note is much deeper with no drone at all, and best bonus is you can hear the turbo whistle from very low rpm which is so intoxicating (100 cel cats help this). Cold startup is loud for the first two minutes. For the record, I am not affiliated in any way, just a very happy customer.

The picture below is my exhaust, for 997.1, and it was used for 10,000 miles when I got it! Like new isn't it?!

Although I understand and agree with the comments above, I do think that the limitations of Porsche design on the exhaust, governed by global smog regulations, as well as finding a formula that will not be too loud for some of its buyers etc do leave room for improvement.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
atcbi5
Banned

From the little that I know is that the turbos being in the path of the output exhaust, it kind of makes an unique sound. If I was going to do anything I would do the Akrapovik becuase its made out of titanium. They do sound awseome! But man they are expensive! I kind of like the Hoover sound To each their own, I guess. It will never sound like a GT3! sucks
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by atcbi5
From the little that I know is that the turbos being in the path of the output exhaust, it kind of makes an unique sound. If I was going to do anything I would do the Akrapovik becuase its made out of titanium. They do sound awseome! But man they are expensive! I kind of like the Hoover sound To each their own, I guess. It will never sound like a GT3! sucks
I've never seen you so active here! A guy sells two near perfect Porsches and buys a Prius and all of the sudden he's all over the forum. I think he wants a 997TT (as I remember him telling me not so long ago)...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason...can't add to the discussion...just wanted to add a congrats on the addition of the Turbo S!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Guys please look at the Europipe that Nick posted. The cats that Stef uses are over 6" in diameter. While many aftermarket manufactures have cut corners with the cats EP hasn't. In order to free up the backpressure from the VTG turbochargers EP has increased the diameter of the cats. Infact the size is up from the 5" 996TT Stage 2 systems.

Right after the CAT you can see the tubing that turns into the muffler cans. The piping here is 85mm diameter, again larger than most exhaust systems. Yes, I know that the race 3" systems are larger. Most 3" systems will drone including the 3" systems that I have built.

The Akrapovik muffler is good, the Titanium offers a lightweight option. BUT it is limited in piping sizing and does have more backpressure vs the EP. With that said, the Akrapovik Ti headers are the best in the business.

Last edited by Kevin; 04-06-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Corrected my specs.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

check in with Switzer and see what he has for the Turbo S PDK.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Funny, we love our Prius it' our number 1 family car. I personally drive an Acura Tl DD, I bought the wife a BMW Z4, we use that to got to the Florida keys. The 07 TT is used to offset all the negative feedback we get for driving the Prius. All the bashing alternative sex name calling, vitriol etc. 50mpg buddy! I love it.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Funny, we love our Prius it' our number 1 family car. I personally drive an Acura Tl DD, I bought the wife a BMW Z4, we use that to got to the Florida keys. The 07 TT is used to offset all the negative feedback we get for driving the Prius. All the bashing alternative sex name calling, vitriol etc. 50mpg buddy! I love it.
07TT???

Last edited by JDHertz11; 04-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM
chandrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does porsche honour the warranty if you change the exhaust ? the dealer here in montreal said that it would ! Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Yes 2007 six speed TT. Love it

Last edited by atcbi5; 06-06-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Yes 2007 six speed TT. Love it
You drive that in the HIA? Has Jr. Tried to drive it yet?

Quick Reply: Turbo S performance mods?