Sponsored by:

6SPD or TIP ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
Looking at a few 07 Turbo cars and the question for you current owners is what you think about the 6 SPD ?
I had a 03 TT X50 6 SPD and I found it difficult under heavy acceleration going from 1st to 2nd. I had to shift so fast, as soon as the boost hit to keep from the fuel cutoff engaging.
Does the 997 TT have better acceleration characteristics ?

Jason
Had an 03 TT x50 and remember the shifting was not the best....now the 997 TT has a much much smoother shifter compared to the previous one. As far as tip...I would consider it an inferior tranny, so best to stay away

Last edited by malmasri; 01-28-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a 6SP manual, you will feel more connected to the car on a emotional/physical level.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

especially when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two.

Guys, to each his own. Judging the experience of a 6sp vs a tip is 100% subjective and based on the usage of the car. Anything else is presumptuous on our part. I love a 6sp, but trying to shift from 1st to 2nd in a manual 911TT on a launch is almost impossible without hitting the limiter, thus I consider it silly. Its a "nanosecond first gear". Downshifting to second and clutching it while blipping the throttle before a sharp curve, is a great feeling however, especially if it shifts the rear of the car as well... But as I said, its subjective, so I dont discuss it.

And with all due respect Mo, you cant call inferior a transmission that has been in a significant chunk of cars (i wonder if in the 997.1 its a majority - at least it appears so in the ads) and for so many years. I realize you are a driving instructor, and thus a performance driver, and I would agree with you in that context only, that a manual is preferable. But not superior.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
especially when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two.

Guys, to each his own. Judging the experience of a 6sp vs a tip is 100% subjective and based on the usage of the car. Anything else is presumptuous on our part. I love a 6sp, but trying to shift from 1st to 2nd in a manual 911TT on a launch is almost impossible without hitting the limiter, thus I consider it silly. Its a "nanosecond first gear". Downshifting to second and clutching it while blipping the throttle before a sharp curve, is a great feeling however, especially if it shifts the rear of the car as well... But as I said, its subjective, so I dont discuss it.

And with all due respect Mo, you cant call inferior a transmission that has been in a significant chunk of cars (i wonder if in the 997.1 its a majority - at least it appears so in the ads) and for so many years. I realize you are a driving instructor, and thus a performance driver, and I would agree with you in that context only, that a manual is preferable. But not superior.
As dianic, has stated above this subject on 6SP vs Tip is highly subjective and it will ultimately depend on drivers preference. In stop and go traffic the Tiptronic is more comfortable but on open roads and the country side when you get of the city I would say that the 6SP would be more engaging and fun for a driver. This is strictly speaking form my personal view.

Everyone else will have a different opinion and that is fine, Ultimately it will depend on you Mo to decide what you prefer. I would suggest to test drive both cars one with 6SP and one with Tiptronic and decide which one you like the most.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mo is not the OP but a skilled driver and PCA instructor, with a wonderful stable of PCars. He is very much aware of the difference between the two trannies! He posted at the top of this page.

Last edited by dianic; 02-03-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 6SPD or TIP ?