Sponsored by:

Picking the Right 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Find the service history for option 2.

It has PCCB and much much better seats and is cheaper. The 1000 mile difference doesn't matter and nothing changed between the model years. Number of owners really doesn't matter. It's the wear and tear(miles) and maintenance that matters.

That said according to Porsche the Turbo doesn't really need anything for the first 15,000 miles, but it should have had a few oil changes and 2 brake fluid changes in the last 4 years. If they can't find the service history then tell them you'll buy the car if they change the oil and brake fluid. Might want to pop open the airbox and cabin filter and see if those need to be changed as well.

You could also check the date stamp on the tires to find out when they were made. You don't really want to run at high speeds on 6-8 year old tires so even if the tread is good you might need to replace those if they are still the factory tires.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Khalid Kassim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Find the service history for option 2.

It has PCCB and much much better seats and is cheaper. The 1000 mile difference doesn't matter and nothing changed between the model years. Number of owners really doesn't matter. It's the wear and tear(miles) and maintenance that matters.

That said according to Porsche the Turbo doesn't really need anything for the first 15,000 miles, but it should have had a few oil changes and 2 brake fluid changes in the last 4 years. If they can't find the service history then tell them you'll buy the car if they change the oil and brake fluid. Might want to pop open the airbox and cabin filter and see if those need to be changed as well.

You could also check the date stamp on the tires to find out when they were made. You don't really want to run at high speeds on 6-8 year old tires so even if the tread is good you might need to replace those if they are still the factory tires.
I'll def keep an eye out for those things. Tell me...you think that looseness in the upholstery (see driver's seat in pic) can be fixed? I've emailed a bunch of upholsterers in my area but none have responded, thats really been annoying me.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

I think number of owners matters. I think some people run their cars pretty hard when they first get them. The tan is nice. I would try to get a cpo car if you can. The tire pressure sensors failed in my car. 600 or 700 repair. Covered under my CPO warranty.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Khalid Kassim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carcommander
I think number of owners matters. I think some people run their cars pretty hard when they first get them. The tan is nice. I would try to get a cpo car if you can. The tire pressure sensors failed in my car. 600 or 700 repair. Covered under my CPO warranty.
I'm taking the car overseas in a month, CPO isn't covered outside of the U.S. thats why.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Ask for a DME reading on both cars prior to a PPI that may tell you how hard the car has been worked. A service history is good to have.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Khalid Kassim
Intermediate

DME readings are relevant to tiptronic's as well?

Look initially I was leaning more towards Option 1 but everyone seems to think Option 2 will be just fine. Just a note, I do not have the time or experience to be toying around with the mechanics of this car and want the cleanest possible ride w/ the best options on the road from the get go...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The leather on the second car (pictures are enlightening) is lose not from wear and tear, but because of a heavy driver deforming the bolster... Just fyi as you said you are looking for an upholsterer...

Also the wood option on the first car is not loud... and not as bad as I feared. However I still prefer the second car. Color, seats and breaks do it for me.

Yes, DME readings should be checked even in a tip, they should not exceed stage 2.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Khalid Kassim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dianic
The leather on the second car (pictures are enlightening) is lose not from wear and tear, but because of a heavy driver deforming the bolster... Just fyi as you said you are looking for an upholsterer...
Have you heard about ways to clear this seating problem up? I'd like to get the seats nice and tight
Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
jmm01
Cruisin'

I have an 07 TT that I am going to sell.

Guards Red/Natural Tan
Tip
Multi-function wheel
Sports Chrono
Adaptive Sport Seats
30,xxx miles
$73,500

Email mark@jmarkmiller.com
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Khalid Kassim
Have you heard about ways to clear this seating problem up? I'd like to get the seats nice and tight
No Khalid I am sorry. Check with the dealer. I am not familiar with seat construction, I wonder if that side bolster is available as a part, without the leather...

Anyone else care to chime in?

Quick Reply: Picking the Right 997.1 Turbo