Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tires ready for replacement. What feedback can you share about your tire choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 336 Posts

First, I wouldn't run different tires. Here's my experience with some of the tires i've had on my car (60,000 miles and some track work).

Car came with RE050's and thought they were average at best. Replaced with PS2's and a better performer. I thought i heard that the N2 RE050 was better than N1. Can't say for sure.

The best pure performing tire i've used by far has been the RE-11. Better than the PS2 in just about every way.

Put PSS on this fall and did about 6 track days with them. they are a better riding tire than the RE-11 and quieter. Dry grip is not as good. They're good in the wet, but so were the RE-11. I'd give the slight nod to PSS in the rain.

If you're just looking for a good street tire the PSS is really good. If you want more grip and better performance the RE-11 is a great tire.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up 2 PS2 rears and slapped them on. Noticed a huge difference in road noise with the fresh meat on the back.
As always, when the rears were pulled off, cord was showing. I like to run em raw...

Can Porsche void your warranty for running non N tires? (don't think so)

Can your insurance void your claim because you didn't run N rated tires? (Have heard anecdotal evidence that they could? claiming improper equipment?)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin
I picked up 2 PS2 rears and slapped them on. Noticed a huge difference in road noise with the fresh meat on the back.
As always, when the rears were pulled off, cord was showing. I like to run em raw...

Can Porsche void your warranty for running non N tires? (don't think so)

Can your insurance void your claim because you didn't run N rated tires? (Have heard anecdotal evidence that they could? claiming improper equipment?)
In your first post, you said you couldn't get the matching PS2s, which was the whole focus of this thread. What happened?

Warranty? Insurance? I don't think they care even if you were using recaps.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Spend the money for all 4 regardless of front tread wear and go with only a Porsche N0 or N1 tire. Over the years I have tried replacing only rears (previous turbos and 9974S) to experience dismal handling results that others called "tread weave" and drove me crazy. When you spend this much on a car you are shooting the vehicle in the foot so to speak by making any compromise on the tires. Tires have more to do with your performance than just about any other factor you spend money on so do it right one time. I know others are going to say I am crazy to throw away money on fronts that don't need to be replaced and I agree as long as you are on highway straight aways at normal speeds, but seriously I noticed a huge difference last time I tried that and swore never again. I had balancing and every possibility checked; replaced the fronts and problem solved. It turned out Bridgestone made subtle changes to the tire construction from the factory mount to the time I needed replacement and the tire kept the same name.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboDoc
Spend the money for all 4 regardless of front tread wear and go with only a Porsche N0 or N1 tire. Over the years I have tried replacing only rears (previous turbos and 9974S) to experience dismal handling results that others called "tread weave" and drove me crazy. When you spend this much on a car you are shooting the vehicle in the foot so to speak by making any compromise on the tires. Tires have more to do with your performance than just about any other factor you spend money on so do it right one time. I know others are going to say I am crazy to throw away money on fronts that don't need to be replaced and I agree as long as you are on highway straight aways at normal speeds, but seriously I noticed a huge difference last time I tried that and swore never again. I had balancing and every possibility checked; replaced the fronts and problem solved. It turned out Bridgestone made subtle changes to the tire construction from the factory mount to the time I needed replacement and the tire kept the same name.
This is always the safest, but most expensive option. Its perfect if you are very risk-adverse. Let me suggest that before you toss those perfectly good fronts, you at least TRY them with your new rears. If they don't work, then get the new fronts... you are out nothing. IMHO (being a bit of a cheap bastid)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

I have tried many tyres on my Turbo now (street use), and the results are in:

#1 Michelin PSS (non-N-rated)
#2 Michelin PS2 (N-rated)
#3 Bridgestone Potenza (N-rated)
#4 Pirelli P Zero Rosso (N-rated)

I would NEVER mix tyres though at the same time.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Got rear PS2's to match the fronts. Kept the fronts on, and have had zero problems.

Thanks all for helping out! From my perspective, the N rated tire is a must - and keeping them the same "type" of tire is also important. Changing out a worn set of rears, and also changing a still good set of fronts seems a bit excessive to me.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Leo Hecke
6th Gear

Default Michelin PSS

I just recieved a set of 4 from tire rack after all the research. I was running the Bridgestones, RE 050 the stock tires but I think they are noisy and harsh, handle great though. Does anyone have a recommended installer in the san jose area to put these on my baby?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leo Hecke
I just recieved a set of 4 from tire rack after all the research. I was running the Bridgestones, RE 050 the stock tires but I think they are noisy and harsh, handle great though. Does anyone have a recommended installer in the san jose area to put these on my baby?
I have great faith in Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They use a Road Force balancer which will minimize the balance weights, and they are very careful.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

+4 Custom Alignment

Quick Reply: Rear tires ready for replacement. What feedback can you share about your tire choice?