Sponsored by:

Turbo S with center lock or conventional wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo S with center lock or conventional wheels

I'm considering a Turbo S and the options are the center lock or standard bolt pattern turbo wheels. It will be a DD...25K+ mi/yr. How realistic are center lock wheels in the real world for servicing from simple flat tires to balancing as tires wear etc...also, any anti theft device on them?
Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

forget it, 5 lugs all day every day. just do a search on the 997GT2/3 forum, CLs are almost universally hated.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Beautiful...nuff said! Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with cl's unless I tracked my car and needed to change the wheels frequently
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Frankly the tipping point for me at my recent 997.2TT purchase, between almost exactly spec'd Turbo and Turbo S was not wanting the hassle of CL - finding that twice-yearly winter/summer wheel changes and brake pad changes (all stuff I will do myself) are rendered dealer tasks...

...not to mention the risk of damaging the ceramics, or wearing them out.

Last edited by RJKflyer; 11-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Default PCCB's needed?

That was another question which I'd forgotten to pose...the necessity of Ceramic brakes...are they worth the investment?...Wouldn't the standard brakes work as well...they are stock on the TT no? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I would go with cl's unless I tracked my car and needed to change the wheels frequently
What happens when you get a flat?

You need to remove the CL with the car in the air (i.e someone needs to hold the brake), and the correct torque is something like 300ft lbs. There is zero benefit to CL wheels besides looking cool.

Originally Posted by mambodoc
That was another question which I'd forgotten to pose...the necessity of Ceramic brakes...are they worth the investment?...Wouldn't the standard brakes work as well...they are stock on the TT no? Thanks!
I think the standard steel brakes on the 997TT are in fact very good. The ceramics may be a bit better, but I think they have some weird characteristics like being almost scary bad when cold and wet. If you are on the fence about spending that money, I'd say the steel units will be fine.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had it to do over again, I would not get CLs. I had a flat on the way to the track in NJ one night, massive PIA. I ended up plugging it and limping home. They look cool, but are basically unserviceable by the user.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Re ceramics: first car I have had where the (steel) brakes seem to outperform the car, and I could get through RS4 discs in 11k...

Like the idea of them, but petrified that i would be told they need replacing for some reason...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks again! The center lock questions I had have all been answered. I'll opt for lugs. As far as the pccb's I hesitate only because I tend to the tires often...balancing/side to side rotation...and do not go to porsche to have it done. Also...any other need, requiring removing a wheel...if a certain technique is needed so as not to chip the rotor etc...man , I just don't see the worth of the hassel. It may be too stupid or silly, but I'm considering not having pccb's on an S if I can order one. O well...once again...it'll be my DD at approx 25k mi/yr.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the centerlocks and pccb's ( standard on turboS ). The cl's look great, but are a pia. I like the looks enough to tolerate the hassle. If I tracked it, I would spend the money for a lllonngg torque wrench.

One huge benefit cosmetically of the pccb's is the near complete lack of brake dust. My detail guy (me) is lazy and not reliable about cleaning the nooks and crannies on the wheels. With the ceramics, my wheels don't look filthy 15 miles after a meticulous cleaning. Sounds pretty trivial, but it is one less hassle.

Skipping both options is certainly reasonable, esp on a base turbo ( non S).
Just playing devils advocate.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

i bought all the tools before i made long runs to WY from malibu, carried the jack, telescoping breaker bar and big t wrench, in case.

not much chance of removing a wheel in WY without the tools.

My regional P guy did agree to flatbed the car to SLC [250 miles] and pay for my rental car if i got a flat last summer. i did not get one, but i restricted my dirt and gravel road mileage to maybe 20% of what I would have done with lugs, and have done numerous times in other P's just fedexing in tyres from tire rack when i get flats.

if i ordered a turbo S, i would order lugs.

Quick Reply: Turbo S with center lock or conventional wheels