Sponsored by:

New 997tt as my first stick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Rxmike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997tt as my first stick?

Ok I have a dellema I always wanted a Porsche in stick I can now finally get one but I never really learned how to drive stick and I don't know anyone who has a car with a manual transmission. I can't bring my self to buing my dream car in PDK. I drove a pdk and yes it's fast but it just did not do it for me. Am I about to make a very expensive mistake?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 AM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove many a PDK car before I selected my 6 sp 2007 TT. Since I am not going to track my car, I am cool with the stick experience. I have driven 911's for almost 30 years and all have been sticks. It is what I expect, regardless of the posted times in magazines.

Take your chances and enjoy the outcome!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer a stick shift, even in traffic. But I am an old geezer and very old school. As far as learning to drive a stick on a 997TT... no problem except its a major expense if you were to slip it too much and shorten the clutch life. So pay close attention to NOT slipping it, and making the engagements as quickly and smoothly as possible. Your clutch will thank you some day. Actually. You can expect a thank you note in the mail.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

porsche manual trans is VERY easy to learn on and very forgiving... this also makes it a breeze to drive in heavy traffic with.

just remember, the clutch is everything, the gas comes in after and you'll be fine... don't rev and rev while feathering the clutch (this will hurt the car).. if you focus on clutch engagement, the rest will come naturally.

also avoid skip shifting until you have everything down pat for a few good months, and don't leave your foot on the clutch, that's what the dead pedal is for.. on the clutch, off the clutch, dead pedal.

that being said, if i was buying a new TT, it would be PDK regardless of how many 6 speed sports cars i've had... i simply could not say no to having a 2.9second 0-60 which rivals the bugatti for 90% less.... 6 speed is fast, but 2.9 seconds 0-60=Rocketship.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really recommended - not just on 997tt but on any high horsepower car. Even if the cost of transmission and gearbox rebuild not an issue - learning to drive a manual properly could prevent potential accidents (spin-off due to missed downshift/engine damage on missed shift etc). I understand that people dont use 997tts to race around on the roads nor double clutching skills are required but there is a fine line - these are serious cars. I would recommend practicing and learning on a less powerfull vehicle - and invest some time with a racing coach/school (even porsche driving school) to get up to a technique.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

You will get up to speed in no time. Spend a weekend in your new 6speed, hit some parking lots to get the low speed feel right, hit the freeways to have some fun, then do some stop/go traffic stuff where you know the roads. In two days you'll be right where you need to be. Enjoy it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stick on a Turbo does take getting used to, more than a NA 911. The boost on the turbo hits in 1st gear and you can hit the rev limiter quickly if you not quick to shift into 2nd.
If the 997TT is different than the 996TT I apologize, but my 996TT took some getting used to, by shifting as soon as the boost really hits.
I've always wondered about the TIP on the 997TT. There seems to be alot on the market, but I've been told its a very good mate with the Turbo engine. The PDK even more, but MUCH higher $$ to get into.

Jason
Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

There are cheaper and more forgiving cars than a 997TT to learn stick on.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Contact your local PCA and I am sure someone will help you out.
I went from a 996 6 speed to an 07 997tt tip because I got tired of the traffic here in Houston with a stick. Plus now I just mash the gas and go.........................
Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxmike
Ok I have a dellema I always wanted a Porsche in stick I can now finally get one but I never really learned how to drive stick and I don't know anyone who has a car with a manual transmission. I can't bring my self to buing my dream car in PDK. I drove a pdk and yes it's fast but it just did not do it for me. Am I about to make a very expensive mistake?
Maybe. What do you really want?

Not knowing how to drive a stick is not an excuse. No one is born knowing how to drive a stick, or even an automatic transmission car. I learned to drive a stick when I was at a motorcycle race and my motorcycle broke down and one of the other racers gave me the keys to his car to let me pass the time until the race was over and we could load the bikes up in the trailer and head home. I learned in just a few minutes of careful practice. It took more time to become comfortable in all situations but you work up to it.

Where do you live? Maybe someone from here can help you with some driving instruction?

Or have a spouse/family member or friend -- someone who knows how to drive a stick -- rent a manual equipped car with you listed as one of the drivers then have the other driver drive the car to a large vacant parking lot and practice taking off from a stop, both forward and backwards, then advance to shifting up and down gears until you feel comfortable taking the car out on the street, in light traffic of course.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by pewter82
The stick on a Turbo does take getting used to, more than a NA 911. The boost on the turbo hits in 1st gear and you can hit the rev limiter quickly if you not quick to shift into 2nd.
If the 997TT is different than the 996TT I apologize, but my 996TT took some getting used to, by shifting as soon as the boost really hits.
I've always wondered about the TIP on the 997TT. There seems to be alot on the market, but I've been told its a very good mate with the Turbo engine. The PDK even more, but MUCH higher $$ to get into.

Jason
While I agree with how quickly the engine can gain rpms there's no reason to avoid the car because of this. The driver controls the engine, not the other way 'round. No expects a driver just learning to drive a stick to wring the bejesus out of the car from the outset.

Even though I've been driving a stick for ever I took my time getting comfortable with my Turbo. I sure didn't take the car out right off the lot and try to set a 0-60mph elapsed time record with it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Or have a spouse/family member or friend -- someone who knows how to drive a stick -- rent a manual equipped car with you listed as one of the drivers then have the other driver drive the car to a large vacant parking lot and practice taking off from a stop, both forward and backwards, then advance to shifting up and down gears until you feel comfortable taking the car out on the street, in light traffic of course.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Very good advice. A cheap and safe introduction to stick.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxmike
Am I about to make a very expensive mistake?
I think so.
This is not a car to learn in, no matter how easy people say it is. Cmon everyone, I cant believe you are recommending someone to learn how to drive a stick on a TT!! Driving a stick and learning how to properly use one takes years. And it is always safer to experiment on lesser (power wise) and cheaper cars.

Rxmike, postpone your dream for a few years. Start with a normally aspirated rear or four wheel drive sports car. Track it. Use it, learn how to toss it. Double clutch, left foot brake, miss a few shifts, learn to match syncros and upshift with no clutch - feel the transmission... and after a couple of years, consider it again. Look at an older and much cheaper 996, or even an M3, I think that will be a great school.

It is overly simplistic to say that you can learn how to REALLY drive a manual TT "with no problems".
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sure, why not?
My only issue with the new manual transmission is that it is no longer German, but made in south east Asia.
It is not a Getrag G50. hence, I question the long term reliability. That's a lot of scratch for the same tranny as a hyundi.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by dianic
I think so.
This is not a car to learn in, no matter how easy people say it is. Cmon everyone, I cant believe you are recommending someone to learn how to drive a stick on a TT!! Driving a stick and learning how to properly use one takes years. And it is always safer to experiment on lesser (power wise) and cheaper cars.

Rxmike, postpone your dream for a few years. Start with a normally aspirated rear or four wheel drive sports car. Track it. Use it, learn how to toss it. Double clutch, left foot brake, miss a few shifts, learn to match syncros and upshift with no clutch - feel the transmission... and after a couple of years, consider it again. Look at an older and much cheaper 996, or even an M3, I think that will be a great school.

It is overly simplistic to say that you can learn how to REALLY drive a manual TT "with no problems".
Whoa whoa whoa.

For nearly anyone it takes very little time to learn to drive a stick shift well enough to get around safely without blowing up any transmissions, or engines.

As for double-clutching.., oh brother... I only do that when I want to shorten the life of the throwout/release bearing. These transmissions do not need to be double-clutched. They have synchros. They work very well and last a long time. (My 02 Boxster has never been double-clutched in its life and has over 244K miles on its original tranny/synchros (and clutch and release bearing too)).

If you left foot brake with a Turbo, at least this is the case with my 03, this cuts the throttle. Left foot braking is for WRC drivers.

Upshifting with no clutch? Sure, it can be done if one guesses just right by why risk it? What's to be gained other than the thrill of is if you nail the shift you can breathe a big sigh of relief you don't have to shell out for a $10K tranny R&R job.

To the OP. Decide it you want to drive a stick shift car or not. But if you there's nothing wrong with starting out with a Turbo. Heck I would have loved to have my first manual car a Turbo vs. a lowly Datsun 510 coupe.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: New 997tt as my first stick?