Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997tt as my first stick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Rxmike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to thank you guys for all the feedback. I am not totally clueless with a stick i have driven a stick several times but for a relatively short distance and a long time ago. I am actually panning on taking several stick lessons with an instructor and luckily i am going to Europe for 9 days at the end of august so i will get to practice some more on a rental car. I thought about buying some older stick to practice with but the deal on the 911 is too good to pass. I just want to get advice from some people who drive the car on daily basis and make sure that the car is manageable for a new stick driver.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

it's very easy to drive, keep it below 5k rev's for a few weeks until you learn everything... the only damage you'll do is:

A: ride clutch
B: mis shift

these become easier to do if your driving the car hard, just be easy with it... their is a giant list of cars i wouldn't reccomend, but any porsche other than GT car is easy to learn... lots of tq too so u dont feel the need to ride clutch so it doesnt die.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 AM
falcon7x7
Racer

Originally Posted by dianic
I think so.
This is not a car to learn in, no matter how easy people say it is. Cmon everyone, I cant believe you are recommending someone to learn how to drive a stick on a TT!! Driving a stick and learning how to properly use one takes years. And it is always safer to experiment on lesser (power wise) and cheaper cars.

Rxmike, postpone your dream for a few years. Start with a normally aspirated rear or four wheel drive sports car. Track it. Use it, learn how to toss it. Double clutch, left foot brake, miss a few shifts, learn to match syncros and upshift with no clutch - feel the transmission... and after a couple of years, consider it again. Look at an older and much cheaper 996, or even an M3, I think that will be a great school.

It is overly simplistic to say that you can learn how to REALLY drive a manual TT "with no problems".
Sorry your way way out of line. ANYBODY with ANY co-ordination at all can learn to drive a stick on ANY car, you may stall it a few times but that is not going to ruin a damm thing!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about the poster's location but pretty sure the question is if it could be a very expensive mistake. absolutely YES, it could be. First is the safety factor. Missed downshift from 5th to 3rd (putting into 2nd) on highway access ramp is the safety issue first, for the driver/passenger and road users. The stress of driving the car of the dreams will result in mistakes. Mistakes are part of the learning curve. Stalling in traffic - ok, but starting the car in gear and bumping into the carpark wall or stalling/jumping the car on uphill slope - the daily things one would take for granted now all add stress.

I dont know about US, but for instance in Switzerland - if you passed your driving test/license in automatic - you can not drive manual unless you redo it to full license (same i think in UK). There are reasons for this, most basic being the safety. It is for this reason I beleive the insurance rate - if you never had a manual would be an unwelcom surprise.

Then there is the original "fun" factor of driving a manual - having more control over the car. And with 997tt or even later generation M3s - does require a certain amount of practice, best on closed roads. Hence few recommendations here to take some lessons with a pro and attend a driving school.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Learn how to get going from a dead stop on an uphill incline as quick as you can. If you don't this will happen and you will feel like a total d-bag when you keep stalling it.
Uphill incline sharp turn is even more fun.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Rxmike
Track Day

Originally Posted by function12
Learn how to get going from a dead stop on an uphill incline as quick as you can. If you don't this will happen and you will feel like a total d-bag when you keep stalling it.
Uphill incline sharp turn is even more fun.
The new 911tt has the anti rollback feature. Just for people like me.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
prg
Pro

One more vote for the buy a stick if you want one camp. Use some common sense with your right foot at first and you'll be fine. I'd beg, borrow, rent, or steal a stick car or pickup to practice on for an hour or two before you go pick up your turbo. I taught my wife to drive a stick in a 996tt.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 135 Posts

Not a big deal. Although if you can master the craptastic hydraulic-assisted clutch on the TT, you'll be able to drive any manual trans.

Here's a link to a forum I refer to other beginners. Actually some quite good info on there in a non-judgmental setting. Good for manual trans noobies

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/
Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxmike
The new 911tt has the anti rollback feature. Just for people like me.
THat's CHEATING!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM
kevnz911
Intermediate

tough question to answer. i understand not wanting to wait. I pulled the trigger on an 07 well earlier in life than a lot of people are fortunate enough to be able to do. so part of me says just go for it if you have the means.
however, my experience with this tt is its a trickier clutch than most. I'm coming off high horse power saleens and supercharged M3s and this is significantly tougher to get off the line smoothly and without frying the clutch. I've learned the hard way to let my wife make her own mind up on whether or not she can drive the car and she's scared to death of it because she stalled it in an intersection. Hills- forget it. and she drove the aforementioned cars no problem.
it is a tougher car do get off the line quickly without frying the clutch. after that, its actually very easy. If you're into fast 0-60 or you live in a hilly region, wait and get some experience. if you can be patient enough to let that clutch out with minimal slip, go for it. its an amazing machine.

so IMO, its your call.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Rxmike
Track Day

So i drove a TTS over the weekend and have to say the car is fast. I drove a Panamera with PDK and you can not even compare the two. Not that i am going to drag race anyone but it's a nice feeling to know you have all that power in reserve. So i was so impressed i left a deposit on a 2011 TTS. Picking up the car on saturday will post some pics. Meanwhile i am going to buy some old stick to beat up and learn on.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Rxmike
Track Day

So i drove a TTS over the weekend and have to say the car is fast. I drove a Panamera with PDK and you can not even compare the two. Not that i am going to drag race anyone but it's a nice feeling to know you have all that power in reserve. So i was so impressed i left a deposit on a 2011 TTS. Picking up the car on saturday will post some pics. Meanwhile i am going to buy some old stick to beat up and learn on.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"some old stick to beat up and learn on" = rear wheel drive
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
prg
Pro

Congrats on the TTS! I've had mine a year and no buyer's remorse. I go through cars like crap through a goose, but nothing else makes me want to trade it off.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:15 PM
kevnz911
Intermediate

+1. my kids ask what I want next. the answer is nothing.

Quick Reply: New 997tt as my first stick?