Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey, I use my PDK predominantly in manual mode. And outside of pressing a clutch with the left foot you still get to shift gears with the right hand as you do with a manual. I embrace it for the new technology it presents, not deriding the stick in any fashion. Just a personal preference that allows me to have the best of all worlds, especially when stuck in heavy traffic.

Jay
Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts

I test drove both before deciding on the the 6-speed. I agree with previous posts that the PDK is suited well for the track. For daily cruises on winding roads, I'd take a 6-speed any day of the week. The only thing I don't like on the 6-speed cars is the hill brake. I prefer rolling back a tad while engaging the clutch and gassing it. It doesn't feel natural to me to have the car brake on a hill when I take my foot off the brake pedal. Anyone know how to disable that?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had a 6 Speed 993 TT, a 996 GT3 and a 997 GT3 Then I was going to buy a 08 GT3 RS, but then I drove the PDK on a 3.8 C2S I was BLOWN away. I would have never thought I would get a PDK tranny but its that good. We raced a 2004 TT chipped to 500 hp and beat it by a car length up to 120 when we shut them down
Now I want a PDK Twin Turbo. Revolutionary. The 2009 C2S was revolitionary step in Posrches 911 plans.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a 6 speed in the 911 and the flappy paddles in my 458.

I agree that on the track...without question I would go for paddles...yet every where else (excluding traffic zones) the 6 speed is just more engaging.

If the 458 came in stick I would have gotten it.

But it's coming to light that we hard core manual drivers are a dying breed from a time long, long ago. I had a group of car guys at my house this weekend...the young guys were literally befuddled when I said that I miss rowing gears in the 458. They looked at me like I was going to say I need to crank up the car and add steam to enjoy driving...it really hit me that soon...very soon...there will be no more manual trannys.

As such, I'm never selling my 911, my cobra or my BMW!

On the other hand, the 458 feels just so advanced, and cranking through the gears with your foot mashed to the floor is pretty fun too.

So, I guess, for me at least, having both is a pretty good solution.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fibredog
I test drove both before deciding on the the 6-speed. I agree with previous posts that the PDK is suited well for the track. For daily cruises on winding roads, I'd take a 6-speed any day of the week. The only thing I don't like on the 6-speed cars is the hill brake. I prefer rolling back a tad while engaging the clutch and gassing it. It doesn't feel natural to me to have the car brake on a hill when I take my foot off the brake pedal. Anyone know how to disable that?
First I heard about the hill brake. On the 997.2 version only or also on 997.1's?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
CarreraTurbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With traffic congestion and caps on every corner today there are very few things left to enjoy for a car enthusiast. I would say if one obeys traffic laws the only two things are left to enjoy and appreciate when driving a sport car are perfecting the change of gears manually and turning on/off the highway ramps. Of course the is a track option but very few owners ever take their cars there. For me taking away the manual interaction with the car defeats the purpose of having a special car.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
DLJ
Racer

Originally Posted by raclaims
I had a group of car guys at my house this weekend...the young guys were literally befuddled when I said that I miss rowing gears in the 458. They looked at me like I was going to say I need to crank up the car and add steam to enjoy driving...
LOL Like this one!
Makes me think of my dog cocking her head to the side trying to figure out what I'm talking about. (All this talk about flappy paddles and rowing gears.... sounds like a good time for a boat ride.)

I agree. The large majority of the next generation that have not had any manual trans. experience, nor do they see how it can possibly be enjoyable. I think it's almost like there's more artistry in the driving experience with a manual versus a type of mass production, just get it done in a hurry, and make it easy mentality with an auto trans. Not that I would knock the pdk for what it can do. Up to the individual once again, and there are merits and downsides to both. Yes, you're lucky you have both to enjoy too.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 159 Posts

I lile shifting gears so I guess I will till I cant buy them anymore. If you do it enough you can do it without even thinking about it. I have a paddle shift car too and it is fun as well but not as involving.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
ask
Track Day

Originally Posted by DLJ
First I heard about the hill brake. On the 997.2 version only or also on 997.1's?
Not answering your question, but: The hill brake is great. My driveway at home is heavily sloped with not so great visibility of the narrow road behind me. It's very convenient in the morning to not fuss with it rolling forwards when I back out.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my 2007 C2s I chose it over a C4s because it offered a more involved feel. At my skill level I would have probably been better served with the C4s. In some ways this discussion brings me back to my thoughts choosing that car. The tts is certainly the better car, but I am inclined to think that a tt with a manual might be the better option. As a number of people have said the third pedal's days appear to be numbered, and having achieved a level of competence it is hard to give it up.

To add a little sauce to the mix, I saw that I could purchase a two year old F430 with a manual transmission for about the same price as a new tts fairly well optioned. I can't help but think the F430 might end up being the last Ferrari with a manual transmission, and that if I ever want a Ferrari (I normally would prefer being slightly more under the radar in a Porsche) that would be the car to get.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxsar
I would appreciate your thoughts.
I almost got to drive an F430 with World Class Driving, but it was in the shop. Instead, I got to drive a 599, but the next guy in line wasn't so lucky because it went into limp mode after I drove it. Turned me off of Ferrari. Too much drama.

When I drove my 996 TTS immediately after spending a day in five supercars, it felt on par with the others. Not better or worse, just different. I'm happy to have a daily driver supercar that just works.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELMEL
I almost got to drive an F430 with World Class Driving, but it was in the shop. Instead, I got to drive a 599, but the next guy in line wasn't so lucky because it went into limp mode after I drove it. Turned me off of Ferrari. Too much drama.

When I drove my 996 TTS immediately after spending a day in five supercars, it felt on par with the others. Not better or worse, just different. I'm happy to have a daily driver supercar that just works.
Thanks, I am leaning that way. I want a car I can drive on a daily basis, and that doesn't attract too much attention. It is amazing how many used Ferraris there are with only a few thousand miles. I don't understand that. If I buy a car I am going to drive it.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by fibredog

Im jealous, I live in SF and I wish my 07 TT 6sp had that feature. On really steep hills you will appreciate it I'm sure.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gradyex
Im jealous, I live in SF and I wish my 07 TT 6sp had that feature. On really steep hills you will appreciate it I'm sure.
Yes, SF is definitely a place where the hill brake would be a treat. I don't mind it as much now that I've had it for a few months. I just wish it didn't engage on slight inclines.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

[QUOTE=CarreraTurbo;8573629]I had a 2003 996TT with 6-speed manual for 7 years. Last year I got intrigued by all the smoke and mirrors of the PDK marketing – test drove PDK C2S and Panamera, sold my Turbo, and bought 2011 Panamera. I liked Panamera as a new Porsche platform but the PDK drove me nuts. First the unpredictable acceleration from intersections when nothing happens after you step on the accelerator pedal for a fraction of second than the whole hell breaks loose as the PDK clanks into first and second gear. Second, I found manual shifting of PDK to be completely un-engaging. In fact I felt that the transmission behavior of a standard slash box in my wife’s MDX is better suited for driving in traffic than PDK.

In red above, you make an unusual statement.
What do you mean there is unpredictable acceleration...that nothing happens after you step on gas for a fraction of a second" No one else has said anything like this hesitation issue...

Quick Reply: PDK