Sponsored by:

PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
DaBrat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB

I'm considering an upgrade to PCCBs for my 997.2TT.

I've been told that stopping power improvement is minimal, so the main reason would be the reduction in unsprung weight.

How much would the reduction in unsprung weight help my handling? Worth my while to do this upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
kevnz911
Intermediate

no brake dust!

i wouldn't have paid for them but am glad I have them (bought mine used). know that they will not bring value if/when you sell it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on my 997tt. They are great!

1) Better braking performance (+ the front rotors are bigger than steel)
2) They do not fade
3) No brake dust
4) Last longer (rotor about 100k and pads need changing at 50% ~40k miles depending on driving style)
5) Love the yellow color!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
lexart
Racer

^^^

+1
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

If you do not have them ordered from Porsche when building a vehicle..the cost is not worth it, the difference in handling can not be appreciated even on a closed circuit. They have amazing stopping power, but so does the iron rotors, they do not bite in the rain until they you dry the rotors by breaking a few times, this could make for an unexpected scary situation if you are not paying close attention in traffic.
If however you still want to get ceramics...I recommend the monoblock solid rotors by Movit
http://movitbrakesusa.com/
Old 04-28-2011, 07:34 PM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weight is a plus - but there are non ceramic alternatives. same for the size. more of an issue is the brake bias - but then you can run higher friction rear pads. personally on the track prefer non pccb for the better feel / modulation.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
DaBrat
Intermediate

Thank you all for your replies. I guess the conclusion is that although it's great, it's not that worth it as an aftermarket mod.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have two sets. Both times I got them only because they were on the car in the lot. They are fantastic brakes, fantastic stopping power, no brake dust, and other benefits. But when I was going to order a car before falling for my current TT which was on the dealer's lot, I was not going to order ceramics. The downside of PCCB's (apart from initial cost) is worrying about the potential of ever having to replace the rotors at my expense.

Unless you are driving on the very, very edge of performance, why would the unsprung weight make any difference at all? To me it makes no sense at all to go to the expense of upgrading.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM
midwest
Instructor

If a used car had them on it, is that a positive?

I worry about the lack of bite in the rain as I am often in traffic on rainy days on the highway.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
midwest
Instructor

Sorry... Should one value a used car more since it has them or not?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest
Sorry... Should one value a used car more since it has them or not?
Perhaps, but serendipitously, to avoid tipping the seller how you feel.

IOWs, running screaming with joy at the car shouting 'I love PCCBs' just kills any chance you have of buying the car for anything less than the asking price.

You have to decide if you can live with PCCBs. If the lack of initial bite in wet weather is a concern to you maybe PCCBs aren't for you.

I've never driven a car with PCCBs and have never experienced the lack of bite they reportedly have when wet but I think it would have to be pretty bad for me to forego PCCBs and give up their other significant benefits.

I do know my 03 Turbo's steel brakes exhibit a bit of this lack of bite after leaving a car wash or driving in heavy rain but the behavior is not disturbing.

After leaving a car wash I apply the brakes quite soon to dry the brakes to prevent rust and as a side effect of course eliminates that lack of initial bite should I have to apply the brakes in a emergency/panic braking situation.

On a related note if I encounter standing water (so far I have not in the Turbo but have driven a few times through standing water several inches deep with my other Porsche) I apply the brakes as soon as the car is free of the water to dry the brakes and get them optimized for braking should it be necessary.

In wet weather I slow down anyhow and drive much more cautiously so as to avoid having to resort to emergency/panic braking when lack of initial bite of the brakes might play a role in the outcome.

However, I doubt it cause while there is the lack of bite when wet it is most noticable only when lightly applying the brakes, which I generally do not do when driivng. I adhere to a style of braking that has me applying the brakes a bit harder initially and slowing the car down a bit more well, abruptly, than other drivers who I observe apply their cars' brakes way earlier though not as hard.

My technique based on my experience prolongs brake hardware life. And the lack of initial bite seldom makes its presence known because the harder initial application masks the lack of bite when the brakes are wet.

For me a worse behavior or characteristic of the car, both cars, is the tendency of the fat tires to want to ride up on any water on the roadway. Hydroplaning or at least the hint it (maybe much if not all might be attributable to my over-active imagination) gives me the *******.

Anyhow, only you can decide if PCCBs are for you.

Were I in the market for a car and found an otherwise good car with PCCBs, I'd consider it a plus but I would strive very hard to avoid paying much if any premium for the car.

In my mind though I'd be running up to that car shouting 'I love PCCBs!'.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

PCCBs are not worth the added expense. On the road you will never feel the difference in unsprung weight in a 3600 lb car. On the track .. see all the threads about guys changing to steel. While you're at it, ask the parts guy how much each rotor costs as a replacement. Hold on to something while he answers No additional value at resale.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
...unsprung weight in a 3600 lb car.
WTF are you carrying in your frunk?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the PCCB also help improve steering/road feel? I have a Turbo with PCCBs and a C4S with steel brakes and the Turbo has much more visceral steering feel.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had big reds on my C4S and have PCCB's on my turbo. i love the PCCB's but a retrofit upgrade is at least 20k not sure if that is worth it. you might be better off upgrading the whole car and take a 20k hit and buy a new one with PCCB's with less miles.

Quick Reply: PCCB