Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Parking Brake Problem

Posted on 997 thread due to more traffic there. But wanted to update everyone on this board as well. Taking my car in on Saturday to have parking brake assembly checked. The drums appear to be rubbing together after putting car in park with parking brake this past Saturday. The sound is like metal drums rubbing together. Awful sound. Will let you know the update on Monday. I can't understand how this can happen to a new car. I will keep you posted so it can be of value for those in the future.

Jay
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Posted on 997 thread due to more traffic there. But wanted to update everyone on this board as well. Taking my car in on Saturday to have parking brake assembly checked. The drums appear to be rubbing together after putting car in park with parking brake this past Saturday. The sound is like metal drums rubbing together. Awful sound. Will let you know the update on Monday. I can't understand how this can happen to a new car. I will keep you posted so it can be of value for those in the future.

Jay
Very understandable how something can go wrong with a new car. Because the car and all of its pieces are new.

That is why the car comes with a 4 year, 50K mile warranty.

Back when drum brakes were common it was not unknown for a brake spring (the brakes had several to help retract the shoes from the drums and to hold the shoes from flopping about) to break and cause all sorts of horrible noises (or worse). First thing I learned about drum brakes was to always replace the springs with new one and to always use the proper tool to remove/install the springs.

While I haven't seen the insides of the 997 parking brakes on the older models the parking brakes are very simple drum brakes and one of the components likely broke is caught somewhere and scraping the drum.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Problem solved. All I have to say is that Dan was right. Porsche flatbeded my car to the dealership today and Lonnie who usually works on my car happened to be there and was able to put my car on a lift and check the wheels. The left front wheel had a stone caught between the dust shield and the rotor. That was the sound. He handed me the stone and said I was all set. Drove her home without incident. Unbelievable. I couldn't see it when I checked this week because the car is so low. So that's it. No problem with the brakes. It just happened to occur at the same time I put the parking brake on. A lesson learned.

Jay
Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Problem solved. All I have to say is that Dan was right. Porsche flatbeded my car to the dealership today and Lonnie who usually works on my car happened to be there and was able to put my car on a lift and check the wheels. The left front wheel had a stone caught between the dust shield and the rotor. That was the sound. He handed me the stone and said I was all set. Drove her home without incident. Unbelievable. I couldn't see it when I checked this week because the car is so low. So that's it. No problem with the brakes. It just happened to occur at the same time I put the parking brake on. A lesson learned.

Jay
Fooled me too. Kind funny too cause I've had this happen twice, something (once a twig and second time a tiny stone) get caught between the splash shield and the rotor. First time I managed to get the twig loose by backing the car and turning the steering wheel hard left then right.

Second time though no way and the noise was intolerable. I had to get the jack and tools out of the trunk and raise the car remove the wheel to get to the shield to pry it away from the rotor to let the stone fall out.

Both times though I could tell the noise was from the front of the car. I never have had anything get caught in the rear.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Problem