Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 turbo center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011 | 10:48 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Default 997 turbo center lock wheels

It is probably too late for me to change my order, but why all the negativity about the center lock wheels? I know they are heavier but is there some other inherent down side? Dealer will have the necessary tools so why do I read the recurring theme of negative vibe about the center locks? I wanted a manual turbo S so adding ceramics and center locks plus the PTV was as close as I could get with a manual.
Old 03-06-2011 | 12:34 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's much harder to change wheels with the center locks and the mechanism should be maintained every time you change a wheel. If you don't track your car, then you probably don't change wheels very often and it would be nothing to worry about.
Old 03-06-2011 | 09:55 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack your thread, but is there a different distribution of mass with the center lock wheels that still keeps the rotational mass down even though the weight is up?
Old 03-06-2011 | 01:59 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

I will do an occassional driver ed event through PCA but no serious track time. Don't know about the rotational mass difference between the two wheels. Macster or TT surgeon might have an opinion; they seem to be knowledgeable.
Old 03-06-2011 | 07:55 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

The centerlock rims look awesome. What is the maintenance does anyone know? Is it harder than torqueing 20 lugs vs 4? The NEW turbo II rims look awesome too. You can't go wrong with either.

Single lug puts you on a F1 / nascar dimension. Thats purdy cool.
Old 03-06-2011 | 09:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB 911
The centerlock rims look awesome. What is the maintenance does anyone know? Is it harder than torqueing 20 lugs vs 4? The NEW turbo II rims look awesome too. You can't go wrong with either.

Single lug puts you on a F1 / nascar dimension. Thats purdy cool.
Do some more research - the center lug requires a special torque wrench and a gorilla to use it.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ips-tools.html

Last edited by jhbrennan; 03-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2011 | 10:30 AM
moliandsam
Track Day

The center lock wheels (and low profile tires) are a big issue for me. I am using my turbo s as a daily driver in the DC area. Hit potholes twice last year. Both times, the low profile tires blew, and once a rim was damaged. The car has had to be flatbedded to a dealer - no problem in the metro area. But took three days to get a replacement tire. I'm afraid to take the car on an excursion now, as any tire or wheel issue that can't be handled with the supplied tire repair kit, will end the trip and create a major hassle. I know this is not a concern for track users or neighborhood drivers. But a big concern for guys like me who use the car as everyday transportation, and modest trips.
Old 03-07-2011 | 04:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I'm not a fan of the centerlocks and feel that they do not have any upside other than looking cool....and no doubt they do this well.

My feeling is that removing and replacing a wheel should be facile and with the centerlocks this is not the case.
Old 03-07-2011 | 06:25 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As long as you get a 3/4" drive 4 foot torque wrench (you can get them for about $350) it isn't a big deal torqing the center locks to the 500nm (350ish ft/lbs) (or 600nm IIRC if tracking the car, I'd have to look at the tsb again to confirm the spec).

If the wheels have been installed for a few months, it will take someone pushing on the brake pedal while another person loosens the centerlocks. Otherwise you will just spin the tire on the ground. They can be mighty tight to take off. That alone makes the 5 lugs much easier to deal with (which in comparison torque to 96ft/lbs).
Old 03-07-2011 | 07:04 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

It also helps if you have enough weight to throw behind that torque wrench. Which should be included with the car from the factory and not just the socket.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo center lock wheels