Strange question, I know, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ELMEL
Great thread.

I have a 996TTS, so perhaps the algorithms used to display data on the display are different than the 997, but I very frequently see turbo action even under light to moderate acceleration. Low bars, but there nonetheless.
My observation is a bit different than your observation but the difference may be more a matter of what we consider light to moderate acceleratin.

When I first got my 996 Turbo I had the boost display active and was a bit surprised at how seldom the boost gage showed any boost, provided one drove with moderation.

My previous experience with a turbo-charged car was my 02 VW Golf TDi and that thing made boost almost at idle so I was somewhat expecting the Turbo to be making boost alot of the time.

Anyhow, how to define moderate driving? I can't.

Even though I can't define it, not without some data, I wish I had the data, to at least post. I wish I could post a graphic chart showing engine load or rpms/speed or something and boost pressure (MAP) but the engine controller doesn't support MAP (manifold absolute pressure) in its OBD2 parameter's supported info.

Actually, now that I think about it a bit, one might be able to get a feel for moderate driving, what it is, by driving his Turbo in such a way the boost gage remains at 0.0 bar. I readily admit though this is arbitary and the type of driving might be something even below moderate driving.

In the past I have had a data logger in my car one that among other things recognizes 2 different accelerations and 2 different braking events. (Hard 0.3G) or extreme (0.45G) accel. and hard (0.35G) or panic (0.5G) braking.) I've had this in my Boxster and in the Turbo. I can honestly say the device alarms more often when it is in the Turbo even though I don't consciously try to make it alarm more often. It is just that the Turbo has such good acceleration one can even while driving safely exceed the hard or extreme acceleration thresholds.

Anyhow, that the engine had to be coaxed (so to speak) into making boost was somewhat comforting to me because I was concerned about engine longevity, if the engine was making boost 24/7.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, I see you're right in Livermore. I'm in San Ramon. Do you ever hit any of the meets like EuroSunday? I go rarely, but it would be fun to hook up. When my wife gets her new toy, maybe I can get her to come along too.

Quick Reply: Strange question, I know, but...