Battery recommendations? - UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Battery recommendations? - UPDATE!

Just in case....

Car is about 18 months old since I took delivery, but dealer had it a few months before that too.

It sat in my warehouse for two days, and would not crank tonight. Not completely dead, but dead enough. Will trickle it tomorrow then drive it for an hour.

But I'm thinking that since this has happened twice (a week or so into ownership and now), maybe I should invest the chump change in a new battery.

What's the collective brain trust think of batteries these days? Optima? Stick with standard similar to factory battery? Other? Pros/cons?

Thanks.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Last edited by Eric - Plug Guy; 02-03-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, did some searching, Interstate, Optima, others....just wondering if there is any current thinking different from a year or two ago. Hoping a charge will do the trick, but we'll see. Nothing draining it.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Just in case....

Car is about 18 months old since I took delivery, but dealer had it a few months before that too.

It sat in my warehouse for two days, and would not crank tonight. Not completely dead, but dead enough. Will trickle it tomorrow then drive it for an hour.

But I'm thinking that since this has happened twice (a week or so into ownership and now), maybe I should invest the chump change in a new battery.

What's the collective brain trust think of batteries these days? Optima? Stick with standard similar to factory battery? Other? Pros/cons?

Thanks.
Walmart MAXX 94R is an exact size replacement and has the vent tube hookup...and better warranty than Porsche - $77.

I've also used Optima but you'll need special hold down hardware and cables may not reach. Here's one source of a hold down plate
http://www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/index.php

Also GMG has a hold down but very expensive.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interstate. Buy at Firestone for easy warranty replacement if needed.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What's confusing on the Optima website is there is no Porsche selection in the entire list of vehicles.....

I found the tray for the Optima if I go that route, but which Optima is the one?

And suggestions on battery tenders are welcomed.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

OK, did some searching, Interstate, Optima, others....just wondering if there is any current thinking different from a year or two ago. Hoping a charge will do the trick, but we'll see. Nothing draining it.
Over a year ago the original battery in my 02 Boxster went nearly dead, dead enough to need replacing. I left the car parked for over a week while I was out of town and forget and went off and left an OBD code reader plugged in.

I went to the dealer's parts department and replaced the OEM battery with one just like it. Well, not exactly like it. The parts manager looked up the battery using the Boxster's VIN and found that Porsche had upped the battery's specification from the original. More AH, more CCA and when I went to install the new battery I found the new battery physically bigger than the OEM battery as well.

But the Boxster's battery tray accomodated the bigger battery by me having to simply move the battery holddown clamp out one hold down hole: there was a threaded nut behind the hole.

More recently, within the last couple of months the Turbo's battery (it was an Interstate battery but I don't know its age -- it was in the car when I bought it June '09) was giving out signs of pending doom. Engine was cranking a bit slower at start.

The Porsche dealer service department checked the battery and found it bad. Had the service department replace the battery and learned that this service department had switched from using the Porsche OEM battery to using a similar size/capacity Interstate battery.

I don't know for sure, but I think it safe bet, the Interstate battery cheaper than the OEM battery.

Anyhow, it probably doesn't matter which brand, within reason.

However, I do like to stay with a battery that bolts right in.

The Interstate battery was I believe a drop in replacement for the Turbo's OEM battery and the dead or nearly dead Interstate battery that was in the car.

A battery that requires custom holddowns, re-working the battery cabling, jury rigging to get the battery to fit and secured, I don't want.

Also, be sure you don't go down in AH or CCA. If anything going up a bit -- but don't over do it -- probably better.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I used a battery tender on my turbo every couple of weeks and never had any issues. I am using the Porsche charger on my gt3rs
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

there was a thread on 6spseed a while ago and a lot of guys were doing the walmart route. Never thought i'd go to walmart for my porsche needs, but it seems to do the trick.

knock wood but 45,000 miles and almost 4 years old and no issues with the original battery. i don't drive it every day either.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

What's confusing on the Optima website is there is no Porsche selection in the entire list of vehicles.....

I found the tray for the Optima if I go that route, but which Optima is the one?

And suggestions on battery tenders are welcomed.
Optima 34R - the kit from Yellowdog includes a longer negative cable which you may need. I've used the Deltran Battery Tender Plus on motorcycles and 4 p-cars over the years and have never had any problems.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the advice. Great local dealer where I have a super relationship - they suggested I swing by this morning for a trickle charger. I did (in my Cooper S) and ran the trickle for 6 hours in the warehouse. Monitored it (6amp) and had a full charge indication by 3pm.

Cranked it up - and it was still dead. Damn.

Called the Svc Mgr. He said he had some time, and one of the techs was free, so they drove over to the office (I am five mins from dealer), brought a booster and jumped it. Started fine.

Drove it back over to the dealer for a bit while they put it on a primary charger and checked it.

It fully charged in about an hour. Got in and cranked it. Dead again.

So the tech pulled out a refractometer, checked the cells, and I had one dead cell out of 6. Crappy German battery.

They slid in a new Interstate in 2 minutes, had it charged for a bit, and I was on my way.

The only strange thing is that Porsche will NOT warranty the battery because my mileage is TOO low. Go figure. Yeah, I don't drive it every day, but they require 6k miles/year to establish proper charging levels, and if you don't meet that criteria, well, sorry, the battery is on you.

Got a really nice deal on the battery, NO labor charge - and they do have to reset the car when you put in the new battery, which takes some time with the PIWIS.

All done and happy. Now I have to do some route planning to increase my distance from home to office, office to home, etc...and take the longest route each time.

Recommendations for battery tender/trickle charger welcome.....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice. Great local dealer where I have a super relationship - they suggested I swing by this morning for a trickle charger. I did (in my Cooper S) and ran the trickle for 6 hours in the warehouse. Monitored it (6amp) and had a full charge indication by 3pm.

Called the Svc Mgr. He said he had some time, and one of the techs was free, so they drove over to the office (I am five mins from dealer), brought a booster and jumped it. Started fine.

Drove it back over to the dealer for a bit while they put it on a primary charger and checked it.

So the tech pulled out a refractometer, checked the cells, and I had one dead cell out of 6. Crappy German battery.

They slid in a new Interstate in 2 minutes, had it charged for a bit, and I was on my way.

The only strange thing is that Porsche will NOT warranty the battery because my mileage is TOO low. Go figure. Yeah, I don't drive it every day, but they require 6k miles/year to establish proper charging levels, and if you don't meet that criteria, well, sorry, the battery is on you.

Got a really nice deal on the battery, NO labor charge - and they do have to reset the car when you put in the new battery, which takes some time with the PIWIS.

All done and happy. Now I have to do some route planning to increase my distance from home to office, office to home, etc...and take the longest route each time.

That's why I said the Walmart warranty was better - no mileage requirements. Interstate should have a good warranty too.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 AM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Porsche battery tender, model 980 611 981 00. Plugs into cig lighter and other end plugs into AC outlet. Red light shows it is charging, automatically shuts off when charge complete. I am still on the original battery in my 2007 Turbo with 4300 miles on it! Leave it plugged in all the time since I only take my car out 1-2 times a week. BTW I use your keyhole plug on my Turbo, GT Silver
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I put a new Interstate in my S. It failed (let the car sit WAY too long) and they gave me a no hassle replacement under warranty (and said the warranty started over again with the replacement).

I have an Optima in my 356, but I don't think its needed for the modern cars. Optimas don't discharge from sitting long periods (the 356 does not draw any power when its OFF), so its usually ready to go even after months of sitting.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, the Interstate warranty is fantastic, so not worried for the future. Getting the Porsche maintainer too.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Turbo
I use the Porsche battery tender, model 980 611 981 00. Plugs into cig lighter and other end plugs into AC outlet. Red light shows it is charging, automatically shuts off when charge complete. I am still on the original battery in my 2007 Turbo with 4300 miles on it! Leave it plugged in all the time since I only take my car out 1-2 times a week. BTW I use your keyhole plug on my Turbo, GT Silver
I have been using the same one for 3 years now with excellent results. Nothing could be easier or more convenient than this unit.

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations? - UPDATE!