Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to a New Turbo or 2011 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
racer10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to a New Turbo or 2011 Z06?

I know this is a personal decision but would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the subject. I am planning on buying myself a further retirement toy (47 years working, tired and I am soon done).Thank god I have the option of either trading in my 2009 C4s w/pdk for a new Turbo/wPDK or keeping my 911 and adding a 2011 Corvette Z06 with the new Z07 option. I do not race I just like special cars. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 PM
laelops
Intermediate

If tracking it could be swayed towards the Z06, but since not easy call for the Turbo. The '10s and newer have an amazing ability to be anything from docile GT to very aggressive with the flick of a switch. The pace at which it can cover ground comfortably in any condition is amazing, it's a special car. Also, the cabin in the vette is a long way from the quality of the turbo.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 619 Posts

I drove a Turbo S. Don't want a PDK but that car was amazing. Can't help on the Corvette - never drove one and haven't been in one in at least 10 years.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ZR1 and be done with it, they are bad to the bone on the track.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

add GT3 instead, you need a manual car.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbo, for practicality, versatility, comfort and quality.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Turbo is an amazing GT. IMO it's Mr. Do It All.

You say you don't race, but will you track the car?

If you'll be doing long commutes to see family/friends, then I'd get the Turbo and be done with it. Be comfortable, be FAST as p*ss, and be safe in just about any weather condition... with the proper tires LOL.

However, you already have a late model C4S with the PDK. Step into the Turbo and it will be more of the same (interior, switch gear, gauges, etc)... plus 115 hp and a much lighter wallet. You already have the AWD and the PDK with the rear engine platform.

Personally, I'd be looking for something of a different flavor like an Audi R8 with the V10. Or, if you're looking at Vettes, I'd make the stretch to the ZR1 as TT Surgeon mentioned. The Z06 is a nice car, but the ZR1 is mind blowing... and you said you like 'special' cars.

If you stick with Porsche, then Targa Tim's suggestion is a great one. Jump into a GT series pcar and it's a totally different experience which would be worth the addition to the stable. Think race car for the street vs. street car for the track. Plus, you get the split crankcase... but, we won't get into that!

Congrats on throttling back after busting your rump for 47 years. Enjoy the decision process!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I own a Z06 it is rude and crude compared to the Turbo I just sold. I never drive the Z06.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't know what to do with myself with multiple sports cars in my stable. Don't know how Jay Leno does it. I know if I were him I would probably be driving around in that steam car of his most of the time. Up here in the East Bay I see an individual driving around in a Duesenberg just about everyday.

Of course most of us will tell you get the Porsche, hell look where you are at! The Vette's interior is a far, far cry from what you have in the Porsche. I mean crap man GM offers Recaro seats in the Cadillac CTS-V but they still can't get the interior on a hundred thousand dollar plus car right?

I do like the idea of the Z06 with the new Z07 option. However if you are going to spend that kind of money might as well go all the way to the ZR1 and switch out the seats.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
sdw999
Instructor

There is a comparison between the ZR1 and the Turbo in a recent MotorTrend. I'm not endorsing that mag., but it might be worth checking out. Basically, they say both are brutally fast, but the Turbo is a little docile. Maybe because it's AWD and takes more work to push to the limits, I don't know. ZR1 will be a handful in poor weather/wet conditions. It's fun to have these types of choices to make. As has been mentioned, please check out a GT3 before deciding anything. Such a well balanced car. Race car for the streets. Might just turn you into a track junkie. Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM
racer10
AutoX

Thanks for all your comments. In the end I decided to go with a 2010 ZR1. I think it will be a nice complement to my 911 C4S with PDK , so much so that I am putting snows on the 911 and will drive it often this winter. No point in having 2 cars in "dry dock" . Thanks again for weighing in.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder... apart from the 4 wheel drive issue, is the ZR1 the car to keep in dry dock????? I would think the opposite. But anyway...

By next winter, you could consolidate both to a Turbo, with winter tires. Who cares about dry dock in the end when you can smile 12 months a year!!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 AM
racer10
AutoX

Your possibly right about next winter I seem to get the itch to get something new after about a year. One of the reasons for the ZR1 was the price was right , the color was right and when I inquired about the availability of a 911 Turbo S my dealer indicated it would be difficult to get an allocation for a build anytime soon. Believe it or not he tells me that much of Porsche new car builds are going to China.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is right... its the largest market nowadays.
So plan ahead then for next year!

I appreciate that you like special cars, but what it boils down to is do you need more than one to be content? After my previous experience of owning a C4S for almost to years and driving it for 4000 miles in that time, and losing 25000 euro on the sale in 2008, I realized that spreading my eggs in many baskets makes no sense. Nor does protecting and cherishing my beloved toy. Because if you ever need to sell it, the depreciation per mile and thus usability and satisfaction that you gain is less than what you wanted.

Today, after managing to get myself in a turbo a couple of years later, I drive it daily (and polish it weekly) so I have a queen = pampered daily driver!! The only reason I would get a garage queen would be in combination with my turbo, and only if it had elements of a collectors model... Just to cherish, and look at. And the only one that comes to mind is a 993 turbo.

In any event, I only wish to all of us that when we come to your age, we will have the capacity, energy and will to do what you do. Drive them to pieces Mr. Racer as much as you can. I am envious.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Range Rover
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you considered a Mercedes SL63?

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the turbo.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to a New Turbo or 2011 Z06?