997tt Dfi engine is consumer grade - officially

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 997tt Dfi engine is consumer grade - officially

Well, not quite but watch the video where Preuninger calls the new GT2RS engine the "motorsport" engine !!!
This small slip of the tongue is the first time anyone from Porsche never mind the head of development for the GT cars has commented on the Mezger turbo engine in this way.
They have said the same for the GT3 but one could argue that that is fair since the GT3 could be described as "motorsport" (with its titanium rods and 8000+rev limiter) but the GT2RS engine is the same basic block and internals which has powered all road Porsche turbos from the begining. Now Porsche have built the consumer grade A91 Dfi turbo motor, what used to be the consumer motor is officially upgraded to "motorsport" spec !!!!
Porsche marketing and the bean counters won the battle.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32uy_...layer_embedded

FWIW my sources say the A91 turbo Dfi will not be around for very long and Porsche are working on a brand new 8 cylinder engine.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joint effort from Porsche and Ruf (a la Flat 8, I hear...)

He mentions "special" rods and pistons. I would like to know more about these.

bob
Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Well, not quite but watch the video where Preuninger calls the new GT2RS engine the "motorsport" engine !!!
This small slip of the tongue is the first time anyone from Porsche never mind the head of development for the GT cars has commented on the Mezger turbo engine in this way.
They have said the same for the GT3 but one could argue that that is fair since the GT3 could be described as "motorsport" (with its titanium rods and 8000+rev limiter) but the GT2RS engine is the same basic block and internals which has powered all road Porsche turbos from the begining. Now Porsche have built the consumer grade A91 Dfi turbo motor, what used to be the consumer motor is officially upgraded to "motorsport" spec !!!!
Porsche marketing and the bean counters won the battle.....

FWIW my sources say the A91 turbo Dfi will not be around for very long and Porsche are working on a brand new 8 cylinder engine.
8 cyl in the next generation 911?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbywu
Joint effort from Porsche and Ruf (a la Flat 8, I hear...)
Nah....Porsche wouldn't lower themselves to working with a "tuner"

He mentions "special" rods and pistons. I would like to know more about these.

bob
Do we believe him or is that instructions from marketing ? It is possible, the original 993tt and GT2s had different rods to the later cars, weight optimised....
Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 PM
bbywu
Instructor

Nah....Porsche wouldn't lower themselves to working with a "tuner"

Do we believe him or is that instructions from marketing ? It is possible, the original 993tt and GT2s had different rods to the later cars, weight optimised....
I need to get my hands on the PET catalog for the RS. I miss my LWFW already.

- bob
Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I need to get my hands on the PET catalog for the RS. I miss my LWFW already.

- bob
Bob, do you have your GT2 now ?

LWFW for GT2 apparently is not that simple, ECU needs programming to compensate and I understood not many people can do it ?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Yes...my GT2 is finally here!

I had a LWFW that Ruf installed when I upgraded my clutch with their 550 package. Unlike the 996TT, the timing on the 997TT allowed the lighter flywheel to idle without having to program the ECU to idle at a faster RPM. I had no stalling issues. In sport mode, the LWFW was completely silent if you left the AC off. Not sure if installing the same in the 997 GT2 should be a problem or not.

- bob
Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Bob, do you have your GT2 now ?

LWFW for GT2 apparently is not that simple, ECU needs programming to compensate and I understood not many people can do it ?
Thank you for saying that (interesting thread!). You're very right about that. Needs some mapping on accel, decel and all sorts of driveability. Tip in... throttle etc...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone probably isn't going to like this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...new-turbo.html
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Alex or Toby...

Do either of you have a technical explaination why I could drop an Aasco LWFW with my 997TT with no reprogramming, but not so with my GT2?

- bob
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex or Toby...

Do either of you have a technical explaination why I could drop an Aasco LWFW with my 997TT with no reprogramming, but not so with my GT2?

- bob
I was going to have Carrillos fitted here in the UK and started making enquiries about fitting LWFW "while they are in there", I don't know the technical explanation as to why it should work with 997tt but not 7GT2 ? Maybe the GT2 application LWFW is lighter @ 12/13kg I believe, knocking 8kg off the dual mass. Anyway I was told it couldn't be done without the reprogramming as Alex said and few could do it properly.......
Alex, are you selling those 3.9 badges ?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I was going to have Carrillos fitted here in the UK and started making enquiries about fitting LWFW "while they are in there", I don't know the technical explanation as to why it should work with 997tt but not 7GT2 ? Maybe the GT2 application LWFW is lighter @ 12/13kg I believe, knocking 8kg off the dual mass. Anyway I was told it couldn't be done without the reprogramming as Alex said and few could do it properly.......
ROFL ich don't think zo! But yes they come "free" with the kit. Funnily enough of the ones we've done thus far it's been about a 50-50 split on stealth for the track vs "showing" the 3.9. Cheeky buggers eh?!

Alex or Toby...

- bob
hey bob... well sure you "can" but without remapping it doesn't exactly feel perfect as far as drivability goes... The TT has the hydraulically assisted clutch system (leaky POS!) and different throttle mapping. It's set up to be less responsive/touchy etc... vs the GT2 which is different, more touchy, responsive etc... and of course sans that crap hydraulic assist nonsense. So it is physically different. It can be a LOT better with tuning there. Having said that... you've got Proto so it's a-ok on that level I'd say Now with regards to the Aasco it reacts quite differently as it's an analogue of the stock dual mass... The RS flywheels etc... do react/respond differently as well...
Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just looked on Vivid's site, they say the Aasco 997tt LWFW weighs 6kg and saves almost 50% over stock which means it saves 6kg. The GT2RS Porsche LWFW saves 8kg - maybe the extra 2kg - 33% lighter is what messes up the stock programming ?

The 12/13kg I quote previously I think is with clutch etc....
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
bbywu
Instructor

Toby, if you find more info on this, please share. I'm looking at the PET catalog and the part number for the flywheel is the same (997 114 012 51) for both the GT2 and Turbo. I am certain that Ruf did not do any particular programming changes to my ECU to accommodate an LWFW.

Alex...thanks for the explanation. I miss the revs...

Anyways. It'll be a while before I start making changes. I believe I've spent more than enough money for a while - a 997 Turbo, then $$$ for a Ruf conversion, then $$$$$$ for Ruf carbon fiber body parts and suspension. And now a GT2.

I think I've become the one man economic stimulus package.

- bob
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure it is healthy to look into the LWFW for our GT2s, I started doing it and ended up buying a set of these

Quick Reply: 997tt Dfi engine is consumer grade - officially