Sponsored by:

tip vs pdk - conflicted

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Macster the PDK is faster than the Lambo E tranny. I had a 09 AMG with the 7 speed Etranny in that thing.
The PDK is over the top compared to those trannies. I did like the way the AMG blipped the throttle on down shifts. But I had no problem buying the first year PDK.
I have driven the TIp 997 TT and a tip 996 TT. The tip is not even in the same universe with the PDK.
PCCBs are proven also. I have had the Gen I PCCBs and Gen III PCCBs. In my case PCCBS are over kill but what a great option.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

^Exactly right.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

PCCB are an overkill if you drive like an old guy
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
getz1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is apparently the 70 thousand dollar question, as that is about the price difference between the two. I sure like the PDK but not to the tune of an additional 70 grand over my 997 Turbo with tip. Sure 4 years down the road, once the tranny has been battle tested, I may move into a preowned PDK car, but for the time being the tip works extremely well for my majority city commute and responds nice in manual mode when being flogged.
-Getz
Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Before you decide, spend some time in a PDK equiipped car.

You know how a Tip behaves I assume in a wide variety of driving situations. There's the hard launch from standstill, there's the run up through the gears, and all the other extreme driving situations.

But many of these cars spend most of their time puttering around town, commuting in traffic, negotiating parking lots, backing up, etc. Not every drive is a hot lap around the 'ring.

Try the PDK in these situations. Pick an empty parking lot and try creeping the car along at a slow pace that mimics a person walking in the drive ahead of your car. Make a K u-turn. See how smoothly the PDK transmission allows you to change from a forward gear to reverse and how smoothly the car then begins to move in reverse. In this same parking lot play like you're in stop/go traffic. Pull ahead a car length or two then stop or slow down to almost a stop then like in traffic give the engine some throttle. See how slowly you can move the car forward, and how smoothly. If you can, try a hill start or two.

IOWs, try to experience the PDK in the same situations you have experienced the Tip (or manual) over the years and over the miles and see if its performance and behavior is acceptable to you.

The PDK is new technology. The Tip is old but very mature technology. And we've become accustomed to the Tip idiosyncracies to the point they are the norm now. This can make the PDK an uncomfortable choice.

The only way you'll know is if you try it. The PDK might prove to be quite acceptable to you and that's just fine of course. But you want to know before you buy a car equipped with PDK.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Really good post Macster....I have not driven a PDK but had an '07 turbo tip. It was very easy to drive in all situations....jump forward I now have a new Aston V8V with their sportshift (F1 single clutch) gearbox and while I love it, and it is alot faster shifting up and down than the tip when you are hammering down the road.....in everyday situations as you described it takes some planning and finnese to not jerk around etc...not sure if the PDK is anything like this and thinking that with the dual clutch it is probably smoother, but again just pointing out the relevancy of your post and the fact that if you could live with the tip...think of the mod $$ you'd have compared to buying the newest available!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by getz1
Well this is apparently the 70 thousand dollar question, as that is about the price difference between the two. I sure like the PDK but not to the tune of an additional 70 grand over my 997 Turbo with tip. Sure 4 years down the road, once the tranny has been battle tested, I may move into a preowned PDK car, but for the time being the tip works extremely well for my majority city commute and responds nice in manual mode when being flogged.
-Getz
I totally agree. I bought the tip and I like it alot. I do prefer the feel/sensation of the manny, but in a straight line and just daily driving the tip shifts really quick and I have zero complaints. I will wait on the PDK
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a tip, I would not take a 70k bath just for a pdk.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoody
Aston V8V with their sportshift (F1 single clutch) gearbox and while I love it, and it is alot faster shifting up and down than the tip when you are hammering down the road.....in everyday situations as you described it takes some planning and finnese to not jerk around etc...not sure if the PDK is anything like this and thinking that with the dual clutch it is probably smoother,!
The double clutch boxes are much less "herky jerky" at low speed around town than the old single clutch sequential manual boxes. The PDK isn't quite as smooth as a torque converter type automatic, but it's very livable for a daily driver. Both PDK and the BMW DCT are a quantum leap in smoothness from the old single clutch SMG's. Really a pretty minimal decrease in comfort relative to a tip, especially considering the performance advantages. Only pdk negative I've encountered is that when taking off from a very slow (2-3 mph) roll, the car is sometimes slow to deliver the power. (eg when creeping away from a stop sign, then suddenly accellerating into a gap in traffic.)

I'm absolutely not saying it negates the value question, but the PDK is very livable for a commuter car.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if pdk was developed 20 years ago for porsche racing why are you guys so worried about it in their street version turbo?
i mean come on - im sure its bullet proof...its not like they didnt test the hell out of it

Quick Reply: tip vs pdk - conflicted