Sponsored by:

997 TT Shanghai'd by Chinese Customs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NineEleven
Napoli, I'm not sure if they have this permit but most countries do. You can import it there for the 3yrs then export it when u leave which saves you from the full duties. Otherwise, the local car dealers will know what to do.

But for all the hassle, you may just want to buy a local unit. The road conditions except the city centres are not best for sports cars but there are a lot of beautiful places to visit. Ah, u might even want a driver for all the jams & convenience!
Thanks for the advice NineEleven.

We are going to Shanghai for 3 years. Our customs advisors know this and told us there is no exemption in China other than for diplomats. We will have drivers at our disposal 24/7, which, as you mention, will offer many advantages. We will not drive a car for 3 years. From 997 TT to nothing. Talk about cold turkey!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mention it. Was thinking that since your car is used, the value can be declared much lower than new for sure.

I would say sell yours first. Move over & have the driver then ponder if you'd want a local unit. A driver is useful since you're not familiar with the roads & traffic culture. In case of any accidents or mishaps, it's best to let the locals handle it in their language too
Old 05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
JustinTay
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Napoli
I am moving to Shanghai in June. I inquired to Chinese customs about bringing my 997 TT. They told me the customs duty alone would be 3X the value of the car!
You do know that 90% - 95% of Porsche Sales in Shanghai are Cayennes right? There must be a reason for that..could be the raods

Was there just last year for the launch of the Panamera.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinTay
You do know that 90% - 95% of Porsche Sales in Shanghai are Cayennes right? There must be a reason for that..could be the raods

Was there just last year for the launch of the Panamera.
The roads, the drivers..... Anyhow, aside from having zero interest in a Cayenne, it is not a suitable replacement for the 997 TT. Nor is the Panamera. There is no substitute.

Quick Reply: 997 TT Shanghai'd by Chinese Customs