Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 X50 or 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010 | 03:13 PM
Tall T
5th Gear

Default 996 X50 or 997 TT

Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Porsches but not to high powered sports cars. I've been lurking & learning for the last several months and am now ready to pull the trigger on a TT. I know there have been several threads here about the merits of the 996 TT vs the 997 TT & which is best or most cost effective or whatever. I've read them all. The answers usually come down to aesthetics, expected depreciation & personal preference (drive both & get the one you like).

I'm interested in hearing from the guys who have owned both. I imagine most will favor the 997 or you wouldn't have bought one. I'd really like to know why you favor the 997. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences in power, acceleration, handling, overall driving experience etc. As aesthetics are totally subjective, I'd prefer to leave that out of this discussion

This weekend I'm driving an 03 996 X50 TT & an 07 997TT one right after the other. They are both bone stock. What should I be looking for? Both cars are CPOd so I probably won't mod for awhile. This car will not be a DD. I'll drive it on trips, weekends & to work maybe once a week or so.

Thanks for your help. I really appeciate it.
Old 02-26-2010 | 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tall T
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of Porsches but not to high powered sports cars. I've been lurking & learning for the last several months and am now ready to pull the trigger on a TT. I know there have been several threads here about the merits of the 996 TT vs the 997 TT & which is best or most cost effective or whatever. I've read them all. The answers usually come down to aesthetics, expected depreciation & personal preference (drive both & get the one you like).

I'm interested in hearing from the guys who have owned both. I imagine most will favor the 997 or you wouldn't have bought one. I'd really like to know why you favor the 997. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences in power, acceleration, handling, overall driving experience etc. As aesthetics are totally subjective, I'd prefer to leave that out of this discussion

This weekend I'm driving an 03 996 X50 TT & an 07 997TT one right after the other. They are both bone stock. What should I be looking for? Both cars are CPOd so I probably won't mod for awhile. This car will not be a DD. I'll drive it on trips, weekends & to work maybe once a week or so.

Thanks for your help. I really appeciate it.
They're both just used cars at this point so you look for any reason to reject either car on condition. There's always another car.

You also look for existing condition -- nearly worn out brakes let's say -- that while not a reason to reject the car (assuming the condition is not indicative of mis-treatment, abuse or neglect) will require attention after you buy the car unless you make the proper addressing of the existing condition a pre-condition of your purchasing the car.

If you will wait until after you buy the car to address this condition you of course will adjust your price downward to reflect the cost of doing this.

Ride in both car to get a sense of comfort, noise levels, fit/finish of the car's interior. I spend a lot of time in a car so I like an interior that is nice and well laid out. Word is the 997 interior is nicer than the 996 interior.

Then drive both cars to see of course how they drive. I'ver never driven a 997 Turbo so it may be head and shoulder above the 996 Turbo. If so, you want to know this. If not knowing this is important too.

Essentially you want to look for any reason to reject either car and at the same time make up your mind which one you want, prefer, and arrive at a price.

If you can find no reason to reject the car you decide upon then getting its PPI'd is last step.

Ideally, you only PPI one car, the car you end up buying.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The 997TT is a substantial improvement over the 996TT and has an electronically controlled AWD system in it vice the viscous clutch arrangement (seen also on the old VW Vanagon and earlier 911s). Night and day differences--it's not all cosmetic.
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:31 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I have owned and driven both. Both are fun and fast. How much money do you want to spend? Speed costs money how fast do you want to go. I currently own a 08 TT. It's just a money issue.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:05 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

I agreed that this is totally a money decision.

If money is no object, who would buy a 996TT (X50 or not) over a 997TT?
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:22 PM
Tall T
5th Gear

Well, it's obviously a money decision to some extent. Having said that, I'll pay cash for whatever model I buy. I guess the question is "if money is a factor but not the controlling factor, how much 'better' is the 997 TT & why"? I prefer to leave aesthetics out of the discussion because that's totally subjective.

I know that the 997 has some mechanical improvements over the 996. However, as far as "speed costs money", there isn't much difference between Porsche's claimed 0-60 times for the 996 X50 vs the 997.1 TT. There's about a $25-$30K difference between a nice example of a 20-30K mile X50 & a 15-20K mile MY 07 997 TT. I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth the extra money. That's why I asked the guys who have owned both for their opinions. I've driven both. I just wonder what other's thoughts are.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:48 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

I sold my 996tt with 500hp to buy a 997tt which was standard which speaks inn volumes I think, but you will make an easy descion on the day you drive both of them!!!
Old 03-16-2010 | 05:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Public roads only? Get the one with the most HP and torque. Done.
Old 03-17-2010 | 02:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tall T
Well, it's obviously a money decision to some extent. Having said that, I'll pay cash for whatever model I buy. I guess the question is "if money is a factor but not the controlling factor, how much 'better' is the 997 TT & why"? I prefer to leave aesthetics out of the discussion because that's totally subjective.

I know that the 997 has some mechanical improvements over the 996. However, as far as "speed costs money", there isn't much difference between Porsche's claimed 0-60 times for the 996 X50 vs the 997.1 TT. There's about a $25-$30K difference between a nice example of a 20-30K mile X50 & a 15-20K mile MY 07 997 TT. I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth the extra money. That's why I asked the guys who have owned both for their opinions. I've driven both. I just wonder what other's thoughts are.

Thanks!
Either car has a good 0-60mph time. Not much chance to use it, though, on the street.

More important for street driving, highway driving, is passing times starting at various speeds in various gears.

I don't know the 997 vs. the 996 numbers but the 996 Turbo actually bests the the 996 Turbo with the X50 package a bit in the mid-range acceleration tests. The X50 package adds more HP but makes the engine a bit peaky.

Course, neither one's a slouch.

I've never driven a 997 (save for a short test drive in IIRC a 4S with a Tip) so I can't offer anything other than advice: Drive examples of both cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996 X50 or 997 TT