Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Very nice!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylv911
I trade my wife R8 V8 2009 after 6 months for the V10 2010, I like it a lot and i'm lucky enough to own both but I'm a Porsche person and prefer driving my TT. My two cents
I'm always struck by how cool and exotic the R8 looks in silver!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these cars as well, but the look is deceptive....I mean to me, from certain angles and colors(especially the rear) it is awesome, downright beautiful. But then the straight side view....looks stubby to me and the cut line at the leading edge of the door to the front fender is such an odd transition...like it is 2 different cars....Anyway I have been entertaining getting one of these and moving out of the turbo. Will certainly have to get up next to it and then drive to know if it's what I want.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove a friend's briefly. it was an e-gear V8

styling is subjective, so i won't comment on that.

my main take-aways:

- it just feels like a NEW car. meaning, a 21st gen design from a clean sheet of paper. the 911-- even the 997-- just eels old in comparison. sure honed to perfection, but still yesterday's thining. that is either good or bad depending on your POV

- the audi really rides nice. amazing for a performance car.

- the e-gear i did not like. jerky and crude compared to a GTR or PDK

- the interior is quite nice. and well screwed together. see my first comment above about "newness" compared to the 911

- power is really disappointing. i imagine the V10 should address this nicely though.

well that's my take. thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I have a 997TT cab and an R8V10...I love both of the cars for different reasons! I live In LA so you have to have a droptop and for me I like the look of the Porsche better. The R8 is truly an amazing car and in my humble opinion the ultimate daily driver.

That said my favorite car is my 07GT3RS.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by richk
I have a 997TT cab and an R8V10...I love both of the cars for different reasons! I live In LA so you have to have a droptop and for me I like the look of the Porsche better. The R8 is truly an amazing car and in my humble opinion the ultimate daily driver.

That said my favorite car is my 07GT3RS.
For me if I ever get a cab I want an R8 cab for sure. For me it was the best looking car at the LA Auto Show. The good thing about it is it does not have that black strip of carbon fiber on the side of the car that does not serve any purpose at all.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 AM
richk
Drifting

do yourself a favor and drive the 2010 TTcab with PDK...if my 08 hadn't depreciated so quickly I would be driving one
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
quimna
Intermediate

as i mentioned on my earlier post, i loved the car, but Audi is by far the worst in service quality. My car was sitting at my Audi Dealership for nearly 3 1/2 weeks waiting for parts. it only had 2900 miles and it had a long list of parts that needed to be replaced. a few weeks later the car had to go back for another anomaly, a front wheel bearing went south! at 4600 miles!

what makes it worst is that Audi does not care, you call and call and call and parts aren't available. everything has to be shipped via canoe from Germany. Unlike Porsche, every time any of my Porsches have ever needed a part that is not available in the USA, Porsche Ships via FedEx next day from Germany.

you will never ever see that happened with Audi, They (Audi) does not give a rat's a$$ about your satisfaction, you have already written the check and you are screwed. it is so sad that Audi with all the great vehicles they produce can't get this service aspect corrected.

I will never buy another Audi Product, at the moment i still have a '07 RS4, bit soon will be gone.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Seems kind of silly that Audi can't get their **** together like the other German premium marques like Porsche, who we all know happen to always be in the toptwo in quality always, then Mercedes and BMW! Truthfully I don't know how Porsche keeps on doing it year after year. Especially building sports cars that are constantly being driven to the breaking point. They must always over-engineer their cars?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 AM
quimna
Intermediate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Seems kind of silly that Audi can't get their **** together like the other German premium marques like Porsche, who we all know happen to always be in the toptwo in quality always, then Mercedes and BMW! Truthfully I don't know how Porsche keeps on doing it year after year. Especially building sports cars that are constantly being driven to the breaking point. They must always over-engineer their cars?
I can attest to that! Porsches ARE over-engineered, regardless how hard i drive my Porsches i never have any problems.

anybody interested in buying a 2007 RS4 with 30K miles ?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
They must always over-engineer their cars?
They do, and that is why they get the price they do. Every 10 years or so I sell a perfectly good Porsche with high miles (161K on the last 993) to buy a new one.

The old one was not worn out, I just had to have the improvement in handling, braking, power, and comfort. In that order.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
richk
Drifting

Here are some pics...no issues with R8 and I have driven about 5100 hard miles including two track days!
Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
emayer
Intermediate

I think I can offer some insight here...

By way of background, I'm presently on my second 997TT and have owned an R8 v8 which I recently traded in for a V10 version I had ordered. I have extensively DE'd both the 997TT and R8 V8. The V10 is awaiting action this season if the snow ever clears!

From a usability perspective, both cars are excellent as daily drivers though my nod goes to the Porsche as it has a bit more practicality and draws less attention. Audi interiors have always been acclaimed for their excellence and the R8 is no different in that regard.

For DE though, the R8 is is simply awesome. The handling is so neutral this car begs you to flog it harder (which I did!). Very confidence inspiring. The shortfall are the brakes (too soft for track use remedied easily by changing pads) and the relative lack of torque for the V8. 997TT owners will not be impressed by the V8 power. It is more in line of comparison with a C4S. The V10 however, eliminates this issue which is why I made the switch.

As for build quality, having had several Audis also, my experience is that there are no demonstrable differences amongst brands. The R8 V8 never gave me any issues other than the fact I fried the rotors. My '09 Porsche however required significant engine work at 3k miles.....
Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Thanks for your input.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:02 AM
944CS
Drifting

my problem with the R8 4.2 is....exotic looks, awesome interior, great performance....sounds like a mustang.

Quick Reply: Audi R8 V10