Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must have options

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010 | 02:34 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
It's just a preference thing, right? There's not some big advantage to getting it is there?
you are correct
Old 01-24-2010 | 06:00 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
It's just a preference thing, right? There's not some big advantage to getting it is there?
True! Frankly, the only thing that I think is truly 'must, must have" is sport chrono, and otherwise its not ultimately important. Just get a TT in a color you like to look at and wax, with sport chrono, and your are driving an amazing supercar!
Old 01-24-2010 | 03:02 PM
cannga
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbkim
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for used 2007 or 2008 997TT. Specifically, I am looking for the following combination:

Artic or GT Silver
Tiptronic + Chrono
Painted rockers (nice to have's but not a must)
CPO - could I get this added at dealership if I purchase from private owner?

I would like to have thicker steering wheel and more supportive seats but don't recall the exact option # or description. Could you guys kindly recommend any other "must have" options for the car that I should consider? I don't want anything fancy like carbon brakes which will increase maintenance cost in the future. I will not be tracking the car and will be weekend driver only.

As others have mentioned, I would think the most important option is Sport Chrono (For a list of the 6 different parameters (!) that it affects: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread..._on/page1.html).

The thicker steering wheel option is called XPA. The way to know it is there is: the steering wheel has thumb rests at 2 and 10 o'clock positions, and it is NOT of the multi function type that has radio control, etc..
The multi function wheel itself has the "thick" option (not sure on this one, anyone please corrects me as needed), but even so, the thick multi function wheel is NOT the same, and not as good IMHO (no thumb rests, not as thick, etc.) as the thick non multi function wheel, which is the same as GT3 steering wheel and is the one you want. Have I thoroughly confused you?

The good seat is A.S.S: The way to know it's there is that besides the usual button controls (fore-aft, height, rake, seat back angle), there are 2 extra buttons to control the 4 bolsters: 2 on the seat back, and 2 on the seat. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post2618702

There have been numerous discussions on PCCB, and really don't want to get another one going here , but, basically, especially if you don't track, look for PCCB! You will thank us for recommending this. One typical thread is here, just pay attention to my post LOL: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...xtra-9k-3.html

Don't worry about painted rockers, etc. Can be done easily and cheaply.

I too think CPO with warranty is critical. Try to have it.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-24-2010 | 03:35 PM
Redmist
Instructor

Smile

Just make sure the previous owner did not abuse the ceramics. Have them carefully checked.
Old 01-24-2010 | 07:15 PM
artur777
Track Day

I heard ceramics are unstable in winter
my mate with 997.1 tt with PCCB had them destroyed in winter...
Old 01-24-2010 | 09:27 PM
sbkim
Advanced

Great info - thank you everyone!
Old 01-24-2010 | 11:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

SC would not be a deal breaker if it didn't have it, especially if you plan to mod the car, and you will. More of a gimmick than anything else imo. I rarely use it, even on the track.
Old 01-25-2010 | 10:13 PM
cannga
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbkim
Great info - thank you everyone!
If I am part of the "thanks" list, you're very welcome!
Once you have the car, remember the most important thing, and THE true must-haves for this car, is this:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...red-turbo.html

and this (or any other after market exhaust of your choice):
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ust/page1.html

You will then be set for the foreseeable future: an incomparable daily driver with "supercar" power, handling, and sound; the 3 most important components of a sports car LOL. You are very smart to buy a used 997 Turbo; simply a tremendous deal for a tremendous car.

Last edited by cannga; 01-25-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Must have options