Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its Here! - 2010 TT - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010 | 04:03 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Joe...it would be nice if you posted a photograph - anxious to see it.

Where in the U.S are you?..some of the guys think that we won't see these released to dealers for another week and a half yet....
he's posted a picture on 6speed. btw, why do we need all of these message boards, one would be nice, i notice many people post on several boards simultaneously. would make everybody's lives easier if 6speed, rennlist, teamspeed, rennteam, etc could just consolidate.
Old 01-18-2010 | 04:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I am puzzled about the slow shifting. My DD is a C4S and it shifts very quickly in manual. Do you have sport Chrono and preferably Sport Chrono Plus? That option is a must with PDK. In Sport Plus mode it shifts in about 100 milliseconds!!!
Old 01-18-2010 | 05:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trice9
btw, why do we need all of these message boards, one would be nice, i notice many people post on several boards simultaneously. would make everybody's lives easier if 6speed, rennlist, teamspeed, rennteam, etc could just consolidate.
The United Nations of Porsche forums?
Old 01-18-2010 | 07:37 PM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Thanks for the write up.

This would be an absolute deal breaker for me:
+1

The whole point of PDK is for <0.1 second shifts, thereby saving a few fractions in acceleration times. The delay you describe would negate the PDK advantage for me. I don't care if it is more convenient or not. I would rather opt for the ultimate in performance, and learn whatever I must learn to use it.
Old 01-18-2010 | 07:49 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brannonspillars
+1

The whole point of PDK is for <0.1 second shifts, thereby saving a few fractions in acceleration times. The delay you describe would negate the PDK advantage for me. I don't care if it is more convenient or not. I would rather opt for the ultimate in performance, and learn whatever I must learn to use it.
all of this negative pdk talk after one brief review. all of the other reviews talk about how quick the shifts are. the pdk shifts in a NA porsche are phenomenal. the 0-60 times are faster in the tt pdk than in the manual. i'm pretty sure the pdk shifting is lightening fast. if you like rowing the gears, good, stay with the manual. but don't try to rationalize by saying the pdk is slower. it's not.
Old 01-18-2010 | 08:30 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Does the factory send the PDK cars out in limp mode? The long delays just do not sound correct.
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:48 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am puzzled about the slow shifting. My DD is a C4S and it shifts very quickly in manual. Do you have sport Chrono and preferably Sport Chrono Plus? That option is a must with PDK. In Sport Plus mode it shifts in about 100 milliseconds!!!

+1 I would have to agree. If you don't have the Sport Chrono package with the PDK you would be at a serious disadvantage with shift times. Curious to know.

Jay
Old 01-18-2010 | 11:34 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

My guess is Joe Turbo is from Canada since he used km and refers to North America, not the US.
Old 01-19-2010 | 12:00 AM
joeTurbo
Intermediate

Some answers to your questions:
I am located in Canada (Toronto). Car was held up at port since Dec 20, but just arrived at dealer last week, and I took immediate possession.

Yes I have Sports Chrono, limited slip diff, Torque vectoring, and the adaptive engine mounts (I purposely chose a car that was set up for maximum performance).

As I mentioned in my original write-up, the turbos begin to spool up nearly immediately, but take a perceptible amount to get to full boost (visible on the boost gauge and obvious to the seat of the pants). Of course this is only noticeable when you step on the gas in a specific gear at mid-range RPM, and not an issue if you are shfting through the gears at redline. In fact the big advantage of the PDK over the manual is that the turbos never unspool during shifts. Yes it does spool up faster than prior generations, but is still noticeable. (Just and observation and a heads-up - not a complaint).

Similarly, with the PDK the actual shift times are quite quick, but in manual mode, there is a slight lag between the time you pull the paddle, and the shift actually happens. Again, this is more noticeable at moderate RPM, and less noticeable at flat out, near redline shifts. For example, in manual mode, if you wanted to briskly accelerate at a light, and quickly rip through say 3 or 4 gears, without significantly exceeding all the speed limits, ie. shifting at say 4000 rpm, you would be aware of the delay between the command and the shift. Again, an observation, not a complaint.

I have generally been driving it in sport mode, and do not notice a dramatic difference in responsiveness in manual shifts between the modes. In Automatic mode and set to Sport Plus, the transmision will not shift until the rpm gets to about 6000 rpm, so not suitable for any type of normal driving. Sports plus mode seems to be oriented for track use. Sport mode is an excellent compromise in auto mode for just driving around.

I am probably a bit more sensitive to the lag issue than most, since I have driven several late model Ferraris with very immediate reflexes, and yes, even the GT-R spools up faster and shifts more immediately (again, not better, just different). (By the way, to address the GT-R reliability issue mentioned by someone on the post, I have had the GT-R for 18 months, have over 23,000km on it, 25+ track sessions, am on the 3rd set of brake pads, and no failures or warranty work of any kind. I have never found the need to do any "launches" as the car accelerates very impressively without resorting to drivetrain damaging clutch drops).

By the way, I put on my old rims and snow tires from the GT3 on the new car on Saturday, and drove it to work today. Very liveable in traffic. Good traction in the cold with the softer compound of the snow tires. (No axle hop!).

The system would not let me post a picture yesterday, but I think I managed to get one on today.

I hope that I have answered all the questions, but if anyone has
any others, I'd be glad to share my inputs.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010 | 01:17 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

That was me who mentioned Dropping the Tranny.

I know that the GT-R camp at 6Speed are a very "obtuse" lot. I figure most are teenagers or Tweens who are dreaming big. When I read the other day about the issue with the Transmission and Nisean not warranting them without VDC on was bullcrap. If you never launch or plan to launch you GT-R that is fine. But there is no way Porsche would ever release the TT with an issue like that. But that is enough of me going off topic. I'm just glad we can all get a long over compared to there.
Old 01-19-2010 | 01:46 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the PDK probably lags at part throttle for smoother shifts, as it assumes you aren't looking for max performance then.
Old 01-19-2010 | 06:35 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Surely with all the back-pressure from the stock 600 cell exhaust cats, you are always going to get some kind of perceivable lag. My lag was cut in half when I switched to an aftermarket 200 cell exhaust which reduced back-pressure by 50% (and then remapped my ecu to take advantage of this)
Old 01-20-2010 | 03:12 PM
ljm301
Advanced

Originally Posted by trice9
he's posted a picture on 6speed. btw, why do we need all of these message boards, one would be nice, i notice many people post on several boards simultaneously. would make everybody's lives easier if 6speed, rennlist, teamspeed, rennteam, etc could just consolidate.
+1
Old 01-21-2010 | 03:51 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
for me, it's the pdk....I just cannot get past the idea of not rowing gears in typical manual style. I know it's the wave of the future....and if you check dealer inventories, it looks like all or nearly all of the inbound turbos are coming PDK.

I really enjoy the shifting experience, and hope to hell it won't completely disappear. I know the same thing has happened with Ferrari, where at one point only 20% of the cars were F1, now about 90% are, and in some models you can only get it with F1.

Bummer.
i agree eric
Old 01-21-2010 | 04:16 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Hmm. Interesting, I tried a C2 PDK with chronospec & thought it was very fast on the manual overide & I wonder what's the shift times compared to F430 & E-gear.

Great write-up & especially when u have a GTR to stack it up. Would like to hear more from u as days go by.

Quick Reply: Its Here! - 2010 TT - First Impressions