Sponsored by:

0-60 in 3 seconds - it's been done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Plenty of cars can do that. Plenty of honda civics can blow that car away in a drag race without breaking a sweat. I hope this hasn't become the de facto measure of a sportscar in the 21st century - but threads like this don't bode well.

Since when is mashing the go pedal in a straight line and holding on to the wheel, fun? I mean the car is literally doing EVERYTHING for you. You could put a 16 year old girl in that car and it would do exactly the same thing. Between the electronics, transmission, 4wd, etc, the driver has become the equivalent of George Jetson pushing a generic red button. Not what I would call driver involvement. Which in my opinion is the true measure of the "sport" in "sportscar."
Pleny cars won't do it stock run high 10's in 1/4 mile and neither will a 997.1
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
So when we watch autoracing, the drivers should all have microphones so we can hear them talk about "involvement." Never mind being the fastest around the racetrack.
I would argue that, given enough technology, it isn't so much the drivers racing each other as the cars racing each other. Would you still watch "racing" if the cars were 100% computer controlled? The time will come when they will be faster than human drivers. But hey they'll be faster! So it must be better racing! But nobody will care because you've removed the one thing that makes racing interesting: the human element.

The more removed the driver becomes from the subtleties of driving, the less interesting it will be to drive a car - or to watch a race.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The trick phrase in that sentence is "normal folks." There's nothing "normal" about these turbo 997.1 owners. They're living in a state of denial about the new turbo.
That is why I'm just waiting for the 991/998, again which ever they call it, to buy-in.

You think the 997.1 folks are bummed about not waiting for the 997.2? Then again you have to eventually buy-in. No matter what you do Porsche is going to improve their product.

I just wonder how long it will be before the 911TT achieves complete parity with the Bugatti below 200mph?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Plenty of cars can do that. Plenty of honda civics can blow that car away in a drag race without breaking a sweat. I hope this hasn't become the de facto measure of a sportscar in the 21st century - but threads like this don't bode well.

Since when is mashing the go pedal in a straight line and holding on to the wheel, fun? I mean the car is literally doing EVERYTHING for you. You could put a 16 year old girl in that car and it would do exactly the same thing. Between the electronics, transmission, 4wd, etc, the driver has become the equivalent of George Jetson pushing a generic red button. Not what I would call driver involvement. Which in my opinion is the true measure of the "sport" in "sportscar."
How far would you have to mod that honda to make it do that?

And once you do achieve those numbers with the honda it still won't hang with a TT on a race track! Maybe on the strip but not the track.

Quick Reply: 0-60 in 3 seconds - it's been done!