Sponsored by:

Newbie: Ordering 2010 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Newbie: Ordering 2010 - questions

I am getting close to ordering a new 2010 TT Cab and would appreciate any feedback on the following:
1) For the seats, i have sat in the comfort seats, but not the adaptive sports seats. it looks like the adaptive sports seats have more adjustments that can be made. But my question is, is one seat wider than the other. I am 6'3", 200 lbs, and while I have enough leg and head room, the backs of the comfort seat seemed a little narrow. My shoulder blades seemed outside of the seat. Will the adaptive seats be more or less narrow/restrictive?
2) how come sports exhaust is not an option? how does this car sound? my fear is it is too quite. I'm not looking for an obnoxiously loud sound, but german cars have been getting quieter and quieter. i know i can buy an aftermarket exhaust. for those that have heard the engine, i would love your thoughts.
3) PTV worth it or not?
4) for those that have seen ruby red in person, how would you describe it? does the picture on the website accurately portray the color in real life?
5) for those that have placed orders, are you getting below msrp?

thank you!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 AM
pirateoc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) There are certainly more adjustments with adaptive sports seats. But i think the room stays the same.

2) I personally dont like the exhaust sound of 997 turbo

5) Nop
Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
I am getting close to ordering a new 2010 TT Cab and would appreciate any feedback on the following:
1) For the seats, i have sat in the comfort seats, but not the adaptive sports seats. it looks like the adaptive sports seats have more adjustments that can be made. But my question is, is one seat wider than the other. I am 6'3", 200 lbs, and while I have enough leg and head room, the backs of the comfort seat seemed a little narrow. My shoulder blades seemed outside of the seat. Will the adaptive seats be more or less narrow/restrictive?
2) how come sports exhaust is not an option? how does this car sound? my fear is it is too quite. I'm not looking for an obnoxiously loud sound, but german cars have been getting quieter and quieter. i know i can buy an aftermarket exhaust. for those that have heard the engine, i would love your thoughts.
3) PTV worth it or not?
4) for those that have seen ruby red in person, how would you describe it? does the picture on the website accurately portray the color in real life?

thank you!
Do you have a build sheet of all the options, color and everything?

I currently have two TT builds that I have configured at Porsche.com. One is dark gray, forget the name of the color. The other is white and with all the color matching and options I'm doing to the interior the build is coming in close to $180K before I get it out the door. WHat are you looking at?

I want a lot of the interior bits to be painted white like the outside. Its just by the time I option out all the bits that are colored and how I want stuff to look, it cost a grip of money! I stated in another thread that MSRP == Manufacturer's Suggested Rip-off Pricing. Someone chimed in saying that no other super car offered the performance along with the all day, everyday drive-ability; sure I agreed. But, when it comes to paining the bits of plastic around the PCM module, $2000+ seems like an effing RIP-OFF! Can I get most of these bits painted post delivery? I know there are plenty of places in LA and Orange counties that will be more than happen to hook me up!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Do you have a build sheet of all the options, color and everything?

I currently have two TT builds that I have configured at Porsche.com. One is dark gray, forget the name of the color. The other is white and with all the color matching and options I'm doing to the interior the build is coming in close to $180K before I get it out the door. WHat are you looking at?
porsche.com was helpful, but my dealer also printed off his complete order sheet, which was great because it includes some stuff not on porsche.com, like deviated stitching. Spec'd out mine comes to about $165k. for me, the biggest ripoff is the deviated stitching - totals almost $3k. it's not like it's anything extra. instead of using the standard grey stitching (getting black leather) I want white stitching. shouldn't cost that much extra. oh well. regarding msrp, did you try to negotiate and just didn't have any luck?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

May not be worth spending $3k on white stitching as it is likely to end up grey inside of 12 months in any case....
Old 11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

3) PTV worth it or not?

thank you!

1) I found the Adaptive Sport Seats (PO1) to be very comfortable and furthermore - the only option where two drivers in the family could push a button and get their respective 'set up' quickly - and have the limitless power options that a car in this price point should have...by pushing a button. I am not as tall as you for sure but (I train a lot) - so pretty wide and I am very comfortable.

2) Havn't heard it yet unlike others on the board, I found the exisitng 09 TT just fine as I am not a kid anymore. I will admit though I drove a Panamera 4S this past week with the tuned exhaust option and it sounded pretty cool...

3) For sure - all the articles I read comment on the PTV and how clever it works...small nuances I am sure but adds up to the supercar that it is. Your car on resale won't command much more money with it BUT given two identical units - it will go first.

4) I have seen it on a C2 cab - it is rich and a nice colour... I think looks better in person than in the promotional videos on the web. I wouln't have the nerve to build mine like that because it is so dramatic...yet it is a nice colour for sure. You HAVE to order the sills, rear apron, spoiler lip and mirror attachment points painted though - a must in my opinion - despite the cost.

5) A little bit off M.S.R.P - with no prep and PDI was my deal - nothing to write home about yet given the intended (rumored) control on numbers....I was satisfied I got a fair deal. Shopped three dealers in the end and was getting about the same deal thrown at me when they sorted through the fact I was a real buyer.

My Basalt black on black cab with PDK,paddles, PTV, all painted, painted seat backs, red belts, dynamic cornering lights, some nice interior touches, all the audio/ com stuff came in $ 10 K more than I thought I would spend...but I must admit the pain staking option shopping really makes me feel like the car will be built just for me. Did I get ripped off as others may imply?....heck there are some wonderful cars out there one can buy for $ 180,000 or 190,000 - I chose this one and well OK with the decision....besides its only money. 10 years from now, it will still be an absoute joy to drive and own and I will have long forgotton about the money ( acutally I already have) - talk about drinking the Kool Aid...
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 AM
pirateoc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
1) I found the Adaptive Sport Seats (PO1) to be very comfortable and furthermore - the only option where two drivers in the family could push a button and get their respective 'set up' quickly - and have the limitless power options that a car in this price point should have...by pushing a button. I am not as tall as you for sure but (I train a lot) - so pretty wide and I am very comfortable.

2) Havn't heard it yet unlike others on the board, I found the exisitng 09 TT just fine as I am not a kid anymore. I will admit though I drove a Panamera 4S this past week with the tuned exhaust option and it sounded pretty cool...

3) For sure - all the articles I read comment on the PTV and how clever it works...small nuances I am sure but adds up to the supercar that it is. Your car on resale won't command much more money with it BUT given two identical units - it will go first.

4) I have seen it on a C2 cab - it is rich and a nice colour... I think looks better in person than in the promotional videos on the web. I wouln't have the nerve to build mine like that because it is so dramatic...yet it is a nice colour for sure. You HAVE to order the sills, rear apron, spoiler lip and mirror attachment points painted though - a must in my opinion - despite the cost.

5) A little bit off M.S.R.P - with no prep and PDI was my deal - nothing to write home about yet given the intended (rumored) control on numbers....I was satisfied I got a fair deal. Shopped three dealers in the end and was getting about the same deal thrown at me when they sorted through the fact I was a real buyer.

My Basalt black on black cab with PDK,paddles, PTV, all painted, painted seat backs, red belts, dynamic cornering lights, some nice interior touches, all the audio/ com stuff came in $ 10 K more than I thought I would spend...but I must admit the pain staking option shopping really makes me feel like the car will be built just for me. Did I get ripped off as others may imply?....heck there are some wonderful cars out there one can buy for $ 180,000 or 190,000 - I chose this one and well OK with the decision....besides its only money. 10 years from now, it will still be an absoute joy to drive and own and I will have long forgotton about the money ( acutally I already have) - talk about drinking the Kool Aid...
that is a very good deal!
mind telling me which dealer u chose? pfaff?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

porsche.com was helpful, but my dealer also printed off his complete order sheet, which was great because it includes some stuff not on porsche.com, like deviated stitching. Spec'd out mine comes to about $165k. for me, the biggest ripoff is the deviated stitching - totals almost $3k. it's not like it's anything extra. instead of using the standard grey stitching (getting black leather) I want white stitching. shouldn't cost that much extra. oh well. regarding msrp, did you try to negotiate and just didn't have any luck?
When the
time comes I will more than likely get most of thecustomization done somewhere in LA or Orange county by folks who know what they are doing. Beyond a few aluminum bits I will get straight from the factory, I will have some surfaces painted white, for a lot less coin, than what it cost from the factory. That is including diviated stitching; I know I can pay way less to have that done, and at the same standards and quality, than what they do at Porsche. All the interior bits cost over $40k by the time everything is done. For that much I can go aftermarket on the I terioir and get new intakes, exhaust and chip and a few other things.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Tacet - one thing to consider - we can provide most of your interior painted bits for significantly less cost than the factory options after delivery, and with a guarantee of quality equal to or superior to the factory finishes. Just in case you need to shave your budget.

Consider the Tubi Exhaust for some noise that sounds good, nice rumble and neighborhood friendly (I did).

Good luck!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Ok, I just took a short look at your website. I will be in contact for sure once I get the ball rolling.

Now do you know any folks who do custom upholstery?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 AM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Tacet - one thing to consider - we can provide most of your interior painted bits for significantly less cost than the factory options after delivery, and with a guarantee of quality equal to or superior to the factory finishes. Just in case you need to shave your budget.
Eric does great work!

porsche.com was helpful, but my dealer also printed off his complete order sheet, which was great because it includes some stuff not on porsche.com, like deviated stitching.
If you are doing deviated stitching, make sure you do it right. Unfortunately, most dealers do not know how to properly order deviated stitching. To get everything stitched, you need to order 24891, 24901, 24902, 24903, 24904, 24905, and 09991 plus an "Exclusive" shifter/handbrake and steering wheel. Thicker wheel will cover the steering wheel. The shifter/handbrake is the one that is always missed.

3) PTV worth it or not?
1) I like the ***, but I am smaller than you
2) plan to go aftermarket - lots of good options: Cargrpahic, Tubi, FVD just to name a few
3) I would get PTV
4) Color is personal, but I think Ruby Red is one of those unique colors that may not appeal to everyone. It is a beautiful color, I am just not 100% convinced it is a great color on the 997TT. Tough call....
5) ????
Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Speaking of dealer option sheet; someone posted one a while back concerning the new 3.8TT. Does anyone have a link to that post since I cannot find it?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

1)
Thanks. I totally agree on getting the side skirts and spoiler lip in the matching ruby red. Any reason why you didn't also say front air intakes? I think that should be matching also. And when you say rear apron, what are you referring to? I don't see this as an option. Also, regarding the mirror attachment points, I am less sold on this. Given that it's going to be probably a plastic piece, I'm just not sure - don't want the "plasticky" look. And if I keep it in black, it will match the cab top. Anyone seen this? Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks. I totally agree on getting the side skirts and spoiler lip in the matching ruby red. Any reason why you didn't also say front air intakes? I think that should be matching also. And when you say rear apron, what are you referring to? I don't see this as an option. Also, regarding the mirror attachment points, I am less sold on this. Given that it's going to be probably a plastic piece, I'm just not sure - don't want the "plasticky" look. And if I keep it in black, it will match the cab top. Anyone seen this? Thoughts?
New for 2010, the air intakes horizontal members are titanium coloured and compliment the bezzles and headlight washers nicely. The rear arpon is option # CNG and is $ 810.00 Can. It is the section underside of the rear of the car and exhausts in flat black. One would argue this gets full of crap so why paint it...I would suggest that if it is to have crap all over it anyway, whatever is showing should be the Basalt Black - not flat.

I had my Full Size Range Rover Supercharged modified by Overfinch. One of the Overfinch design criteria is to have those mirror points (and mirrors) painted - along with the side vents on the front fender. It was two small design bits but remarkable what a differance it made visually. On the 997 it is a small detail yes but makes the design a little bit tighter in my opinion.

I don't think there is a wrong answer by the way in any of these finer points - the cars are all beautiful, in all colours...it really boils down to how you envisage your personal ride...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

New for 2010, the air intakes horizontal members are titanium coloured and compliment the bezzles and headlight washers nicely. The rear arpon is option # CNG and is $ 810.00 Can. It is the section underside of the rear of the car and exhausts in flat black. One would argue this gets full of crap so why paint it...I would suggest that if it is to have crap all over it anyway, whatever is showing should be the Basalt Black - not flat.
Have you, or anyone, seen the standard air intakes in titanium? Wondering whether to keep as is, or have them painted to match the ruby red. Definetely will be getting the spoiler lip and side skirts painted, but now not sure about the air intakes, as you bring up a good point.

Regarding the rear apron option, i don't see that on the online configurator, nor in the ordering guide.

Quick Reply: Newbie: Ordering 2010 - questions