Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Placed order for new 2010 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what color? so far we have 2 basalts! I agree with the PCCB option. When I spec out my turbo, it will have the PCCB's! I know nothing about the PTV...can anyone enlighten me?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
what color? so far we have 2 basalts! I agree with the PCCB option. When I spec out my turbo, it will have the PCCB's! I know nothing about the PTV...can anyone enlighten me?
Porsche Torque Vectoring - aka 'limited slip' which is a must have imho. If you visit the web-special on the Porsche web-site, there is an excellent series of videos on the key elements and technical highlights/ features to the car....I think i've logged in 20 times

Overdraft
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DJ,

Nice specs. Did you catch the article in Excellence magazine this month? The 2010s are going to be Awesome!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Haven't seen the article. Will have to pick one up and read it. Thanks for the note.

Jay
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one wants the sport bucket seats?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 PM
997CarreraS

I had Sports Buckets in my last car. Good for the track but a pain in the but(literaly) for daily use. They look nice but i would not buythem for a daily driver. I have been goin to Barnes and Nobile every couple days to see if the new excelance was in. Must be there now!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRJMK
the pccb is a personal choice-personally, for a car that is used 95% as a street car, i think that the ceramics are a waste of money, but if you want to spend the 7 grand, or whatever it costs, that is your decision. secondly, lets be honest-porsche is ripping everyone off by making the turbo sports chrono an option-you have to be nuts to order a car without one, so they should just make it standard. i have seen used cars without the turbo chrono-good luck selling them. i have driven carrera s cars with pdk-i still like the manual better-especially with the turbo engine-to me, it gives me a better feel, more control, more fun with the power, but that is just my personal opinion. but put it all together-a turbo with a manual and the standard brakes-you can save 10-15 grand and get a hell of a car. and now that it is getting cooler, if you live in the cold states, don't forget your winter tires.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Pccbs are perfect for road use, and some people argue that there are actually more benefits than for track use. The latest gen pccbs really do seem to deliver :
- Consistent, powerful, fade free braking
- Significant unsprung weight saving - improving ride and handling
- Long life (discs should last 100k mls+ in road use)
- No brake dust
- No corrosion
- Quieter than steels
- Effective from cold

They really should be OE on Porsche's flagship models.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
Pccbs are perfect for road use, and some people argue that there are actually more benefits than for track use. The latest gen pccbs really do seem to deliver :
- Consistent, powerful, fade free braking
- Significant unsprung weight saving - improving ride and handling
- Long life (discs should last 100k mls+ in road use)
- No brake dust
- No corrosion
- Quieter than steels
- Effective from cold

They really should be OE on Porsche's flagship models.
Now, that I cannot argue. If porsche wants to make something like pccb standard, and provide them for a highly discounted price, I am for it. But as this poster points out, the turbo is their flagship. They have a many year habit of nickle and diming us when it comes to optioning this flagship of theirs. They almost never give more. Look at xm radio. While other manufacturers put it in for free porsche charges you many hundreds. As I stated, the turbo chrono costing extra is chriminal it is similar to a woman wanting extra consideration because she has breasts. I agree with the posters point that porsche ought to be equiping their top car-but that is not what they do. They will nickle and dime you to death, and that is why I save the 10-15 grand and take the regular brakes and transmission
Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i agree with the high priced options. If you add up the PCCB's, PTV, PDK, SCP...it's 20 grand! I am a few years away from getting one. I love my current car, 09 C2S with PDK/SCP. You really do need the SCP with the PDK, the car would be totally boring without it. Now, i drive my car only in that mode!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
997CarreraS

As we know there are very few of these cars and very few people who spend this kind of a money on a car. Their pricing model is all about margins. Their base price of 132 gives them one margin. They can reduce thier margin by adding PCCB and Sports Chrono or they can have a base price car at 132 and maintain and infact increase their margins by allowing consumers to add options at higher margins. I think giving cusotmer choice is the best for them and for consumers.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

I thought the whole PCCB vs conventional brakes controversy had been replaced by the PDK vs Manual arguments. j/k of course.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

What really blows on this pricing model is the cheapening of the engine scenario. For Porsche to eliminate the GT1 block in favor of the 997 block, and for us to know it means 15-20k savings PER engine, and for Porsche NOT to pass those savings along, well, that kind of smells rotten.

The base price jumped and the options jumped. Sure, they are hurting, like most car companies today. But when you can shave 20k off the cost of making the car straight from the get-go, why not pass along SOME of that to the consumer and move more cars?

Oh well.....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Porsche Torque Vectoring - aka 'limited slip' which is a must have imho. If you visit the web-special on the Porsche web-site, there is an excellent series of videos on the key elements and technical highlights/ features to the car....I think i've logged in 20 times

Overdraft
PTV is much more than than just LSD, however, the Limited Slip Diff. is part of the PTV packge.

The turbo should have Sports Chrono, PTV and Center Locks as standard. For 2010 it should also come with improved iron brakes ala .2 GT3.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Just wanted to give you an update on my order. Currently I have a November 30th build date, but just found out on Thursday that Porsche deleted without explanation my speed yellow instrument dials. I was looking forward to this. My rep will call Germany on Monday to see what reason they are giving for this. I will keep you posted.

Jay

Quick Reply: Placed order for new 2010 Turbo