Sponsored by:

FVD has unleashed my TT...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Whoa! You lucky dog... tire service on a Friday at TWS???

Brings back memories of the SOL tire days...
Thanks to Viking being Johnnie on the spot with my plug kit
Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RJ, would you say that your car now sounds like what you hear on the 997 TT FVD clips on youtube? Do those clips accurately represent what you are hearing in your own?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
RJ, would you say that your car now sounds like what you hear on the 997 TT FVD clips on youtube? Do those clips accurately represent what you are hearing in your own?
Justin's video is a fair representation. The cold startup on FVD's site is more raspy and doesn't sound as smooth as my setup.

The tone while cruising at 3K rpm is terrific.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:20 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Thanks to Viking being Johnnie on the spot with my plug kit
Ahhh... that 'splains it!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine sounded raspy the first few days on cold start, soon mellowed a bit, carbon?
Get it, you'll love it!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

RJFabCab,

So glad you are happy with that set up!! Thanks for the great pictures, the car looks great with those large dual FVD tips!! The cold start video we have online is NYAMG's car and that was just after the install. So our exhaust's tend to mellow with a little carbon build up.

TT Surgeon,

I am also so happy that you are enjoying yours as well. You were spot on with the carbon build up theory. In fact this hold's true for all of the M&M exhaust's on all model's.

In regard's to everyone's input on our systems, I cannot thank you all enough!! You have all been so gracious and such a pleasure to work with. I have really enjoyed all of your response's as you are all so passionate about that perfect sound for your turbo's.

Great Post's guy's!! Thank you all so much.
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

RJ,
from what I've read on previous threads it seems that few are impressed with the sound of their Turbo. Since I've ordered a 2010 version it concerns me that the sound will appear attenuated and lessened than expected. Is this an accurate perception or just a personal perception that some may like or dislike? In any event your new exhaust not only looks great but from what I've read sounds attonishing as well. Good luck. It's something that I may have to consider for the future.

Jay
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Headers looks far better than the ones pictured in fvd's website, good surprise
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
RJ,
from what I've read on previous threads it seems that few are impressed with the sound of their Turbo. Since I've ordered a 2010 version it concerns me that the sound will appear attenuated and lessened than expected. Is this an accurate perception or just a personal perception that some may like or dislike? In any event your new exhaust not only looks great but from what I've read sounds attonishing as well. Good luck. It's something that I may have to consider for the future.

Jay
Jay,

My 996 with PSE sounded better than my stock exhaust TT ever did! Unless Porsche does some major overhaul to race up the exhaust, my guess is that you'll be disappointed like many of us with the stock exhaust of your 2010. Especially, since you're coming from a 997S with PSE and sport cats.

The TT is a wonderful car, and it's fast as p*ss, but the stock exhaust is anemic. You can't hear the motor to rev match, and the sound of the turbos is almost completely muffled. There is absolutely no growl, and the motor is restrained. Why would Porsche keep so much of that heritage bottled up back there?

The straight TT tries to be everything to everybody which makes it such a great all around supercar, but EU sound regs have led to a really sedate exhaust system.

So, why doesn't Porsche offer a factory PSE option for the turbo? I'll bet it's related to the bottom line. Quality systems are expensive to produce, and buyers of straight TTs probably won't be checking the 10K TT PSE option box too frequently. Those buyers are probably looking at GT2s, GT3s, RSs, etc.

Congrats on your order and let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Jay, you can listen to mine sometime, but wait until there are some systems out/available for your car as the engine is completely different.
c
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

RJ and Chris thanks for the feedback. Chris I'll try and see your car at a DE event close to CT. I can only hope that the new 2010 is not only reliable but with improved exhaust.

Jay
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM
cgng30
Instructor

I recently replaced the stock exhaust with the FVD Brombacher manifolds and exhaust with 200 cell cats (sound version).

What a transformation... and I'm still running the stock ECU. I've been looking for better sound in this car for a long time. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Quality construction and craftsmanship.
2. Throttle response is markedly improved. The motor is much more responsive and the turbos spool much quicker.
3. The off throttle burble is back... not like it was ever present in the first place with the choker stock exhaust.
4. As promised... there is absolutely NO DRONE. An amazing achievement for this system.
5. Quality exhaust note with sporty tones throughout the rev range. The whistle of the turbos is terrific.
6. This is not a 'race' exhaust... it IS a terrific DD exhaust. It's never obnoxious IMO. It's never too soft, either.
7. Nice quad tips... yes, real ones.

Thanks to Justin for his input and mad props to Rhonda at FVD for making this happen. I've been in a lot of cars with all kinds of cans (and many with no cans LOL)... this is really a quality system.

Obligatory low res phone pics attached.
Sorry, Bones... no sound clips.

All components were shiny stainless out of the box. The headers are starting to take on a nice 'seasoned' look with a copper hue to them... they probably 'glow' on my way to work.

The rest of the system still looks like polished stainless, but I really don't have that many miles on the setup yet.

It's crazy. Letting the engine breathe has really changed the character of this car. It's quicker and easier to drive now since the motor's more responsive. Rev matching was always a bit delayed and quirky with the stock exhaust, but now it's like butta. Plus, I can finally hear the motor...

i am thinking of getting this package as well, couple quesions, do you loose any low end torque? with headers and exhaust , and hows the clearance of the headers compared to stock.

thanks

Ronnie
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgng30
i am thinking of getting this package as well, couple quesions, do you loose any low end torque? with headers and exhaust , and hows the clearance of the headers compared to stock.

thanks

Ronnie
No loss in low end torque via the butt dyno in the TT. I've run some free flow systems on normally aspirated cars and the low end loss was quite noticeable.

The left header hangs down about an inch lower than the right... not much lower than the stock manifolds. I haven't had any clearance issues.

If you replace the exhaust, I recommend replacing all the gaskets while you have everything off.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 338 Posts

Mine's being installed as we speak (along with Flash). Can't wait to pick it up this afternoon and compare to the exhaust that was on there.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Mine's being installed as we speak (along with Flash). Can't wait to pick it up this afternoon and compare to the exhaust that was on there.
lets us know how it goes, and the results

Quick Reply: FVD has unleashed my TT...