Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Congratulations! NY to CA will certainly let you get acquainted with the car Looking forward to your pics and impressions!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. So few miles on a 2007. I am amazed that people buy these cars, pay big bucks and then don't drive them. Makes no sense
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree - I couldn't believe how low the average mileage was on these cars. I looked at so many that I finally decided I'd only look at those with less than 10,000 miles because the prices were not that different. I bought this car to drive the hell out of it, and so my first drive will be a 2,500 mile jaunt from the east coast to California. Yes, I'm packing my Valentine 1!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Boy, what a well equipt car too. That ride will be great fun. Where is the car located now?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Car is currently in NJ - but not for long!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:37 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

I have a 2009. I also live in nj. Is your car at a dealer? By the way, I also have a vette and a carerra gt passed me today in nj. What a sweet sound that gt makes. Sounds like a race car. I also had a 2007 turbo. The major improvement I think in the 2009 is that the pcm has a built in xm radio, which sounds much better than the xm that I had to install
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Congratulations! Where are you buying it from?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Details!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

congrats! More details please!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 PM
ljm301
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I finally bought my 997TT today, a dream come true!

It's a 2007 with all the options I was looking for (PCCB, sport chrono, adaptive sport seats, colors that I liked, etc), and while I paid more than I was hoping, I feel great that I found the car that has everything I wanted with very low miles (2,500). I looked at a 2010 with all the options that I just bought, and that would have cost me $150,000 so the way I justify that I paid more than I had planned is that I saved more than $50.000!

I have to fly to the east coast to pick up the car and will drive it back to California, and I'll document my trip with lots of photos. Unfortunately I'm so busy at work right now I won't be able to pick up the car for a couple of weeks. But I'll post photos as soon as I pick up the car!

Thanks for everyone's expertise on helping me choose the right car!

Andy
Congrats. Sounds like you got yourself a beauty. Get radar/laser - it's very tough keeping this car within the speed limit!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

No worries, I will provide full details - let me get it through the PPI first to make sure all is good. I'm not picking up the car until 10/16 because that's the first chance I can get out of here for a week or so.

I promise, I will provide photos of my trip, driving impressions and full details of the purchase. So far everything has gone very well and everyone I've dealt with has been extremely professional. I was nervous at first doing everything from long distance, but I've been trying very hard to heed all the advice about buying one of these cars (PPI, carfax, warranty, etc.).
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations Andy. Sounds like a great buy especially with so low miles. Can't wait to hear of your trip from NJ to CA. Should be amazing.
Post pics when you pick her up and drive her with care.

Jay
Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

OK, I finally have clearance for takeoff - it took a while to get all my ducks in a row, PPI, etc.

I found the car on autotrader at Audi of Bernardsville in NJ. I was at first a little put off because the car was at an Audi dealership, but I started looking at the details. The car was super low miles (2,500) and had ALL the options and the color that I really wanted, so I kept coming back to it. The asking price was a little higher than I was hoping for, but I finally decided to go over my self-imposed limit of $90,000 and ended up paying $96,700 for the car. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the car that I really wanted and the original price was more than $140,000.

I had the PPI done by Steve Schade at New Vernon Coachworks (came highly recommended) and after talking with him it was obvious he knows these cars. The PPI came back clean as a whistle, not as much as a smudge on the floor mats. Everyone kept telling me it's a brand new car, but I wasn't ready to buy into that line until I heard it from Steve himself.

I had the oil changed while it was having the PPI done - the oil had already been changed once when the car was about 12 months old, so I wanted the oil changed again since the car is now two years old.

I'm flying to NYC (JFK) on Thursday - had the travel Gods with me on this one - I was goofing around on the net last weekend and purchased a one-way direct flight from San Francisco for $170. I think on Monday the same flight had gone up to $1,215. So hopefully a good sign.

I'll take a train from JFK to Bernardsville, NJ, and am spending Thursday night at the Bernards Inn. On Friday morning I go to the dealership and pick up the car. My first stop is a Napa auto parts store down the street to pick up a scissor lift. I'm carrying with me a tire-plug kit and air pump - following all the advice I've read on this forum and not taking chances with the goo. I've repaired lots of my motorcycle tires with the plug kits and I know they work.

And then I'm heading west! I'm taking about 20 of my favorite CDs (Grateful Dead, The Cure, The Killers, Dave Matthews, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Buddy Guy, Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Groundation...) and will pop the first one in and take off. Should give me plenty of time to determine whether I can live with the sound system or spring for a custom system when I get home. I like to listen to music really LOUD and flying down the road in my car is one of the few places where that doesn't bother others (like my wife as long as she's not in the car!).

My first stop is St. Clairsville, Ohio - although I grew up in Germany, my father was from this area, so I will stop to pay my respects and visit some family members. Next day I will stop in Columbus (to check out the bookstore at my alma mater, Ohio State, for a cool license plate bracket) and then head for Cincinnati where I'm staying with a good friend. The next day I'll head for Lincoln, NE, then to Laramie, WY, then to Ogden, Utah to visit friends again. If the weather really sucks, I'll just take the southern route upon leaving Cincinnati and head through Albuquerque to Flagstaff and up past the Grand Canyon to Ogden, again. After a couple of days in Ogden, I'll do the last leg to the Bay Area in one day.

I'll post photos and driving impressions upon my return

Thanks again for all the invaluable assistance and support this forum has provided to me!

Andy
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Fantastic! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics of the car and your journey
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow sounds like a great trip. Congratulations on the new Turbo from what I can see. Hey only 2500 miles. Only one thing. What about the radar detector? That would help the drive. In any event good
luck on the drive. Interested to know what gas mileage you get across country? Take lots of pics.

Jay

Quick Reply: Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise