Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Turbo is new....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must be about increasing margins on the new turbo. The inside looks like a mess - what happened to the notion of a 'sports car'? The engine is really junk, the transmission can't handle too much power, the wheels are faux centerlock. 0-60 times being fast just means the automated shifter is fast - more junk to fall apart.

No actual design or engineering breakthroughs. Porsche is in trouble, but folks with money will always buy.

It reminds me of the office manager with the 911 in that old movie 'Office Space'. That fellow embodies the "new Porsche".
Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

No want, mainly because of the wet sump.
I believe the PDK can handle the torque; it's in the heavier and torquier Panamera.
After 26K miles with my TT Tip buttons and 21K with our Lexus 350 IS with paddles similar to the new TT PDK, I much prefer the buttons to the paddles. Never a hesitation which one is up/down, and can shift with either hand.
7th gear looks like it is just there for the higher mpg claim. Though the 7 speed ZF in wifey's CLK 550 is buttery smooth in all shifts.
0-60, who abuses their car to get a number like that.
The electronic handling gizmos detract somewhat from the connectedness, but this is 500 bhp and monstrous torque.
Magnetic fluid motor mounts looks like a worthwhile improvement.
I would settle for a touch screen Nav swap over what I have and be happy the next 10 years.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Web special is a little confusing.

First, the engine is supposed to be a direct version of the new 3.8l Carrera S. This is a major departure as the previous 996 and 997 Turbo used engines based on the GT1 engine. Porsche chose not to use the direct injection engine for the GT3 due to questionable durability with high revs. It will be interesting to see how it works out in the turbo.

They mention and show a picture of the new paddles behind the steering wheel. There is even some information about these be an option on the 2010 Carrera, but they only show the old style in the video. Hmmm....are those going to be an option on the Turbo?

What about brakes? Does the Turbo now get the bigger/lighter brakes from the new GT3? Looking at the Coupe, it still has the 13.8" brakes. I would really supect that by the time it arrives it does get the improved brakes.

It looks like center lock wheel will be an option. They show the Turbo II standard wheel is a 5-lug and the optional sport wheels are center lock. Personally, I love the look of the new sport wheels. They are very old school BBS.

I am now really wondering about price? I am guessing $140K for the new base price. PDK with paddle shifters, sports chrono with active mounts and center lock wheels. I figure $4-5K will PDK and paddle shifters. Sports chrono with dynamice engine mounts would be aroun $3-3.5K. Center lock will probably run around $4K. This will put a decently loaded Turbo in the $160K range.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Maxy
Advanced

Originally Posted by RSA333
the wheels are faux centerlock.
How do you know they're not genuine?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for right now we don't have buttons to shift with the PDK?

After years of paddle shifting I was looking forward to the buttons!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxy
How do you know they're not genuine?
They just released a center lock option a few months back which is simply a bolt on hub adapter, so it likely this is also being used on this car as well.
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=RSDOM

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/29/p...for-the-stree/
Old 08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It must be about increasing margins on the new turbo. The inside looks like a mess - what happened to the notion of a 'sports car'? The engine is really junk, the transmission can't handle too much power, the wheels are faux centerlock. 0-60 times being fast just means the automated shifter is fast - more junk to fall apart.

No actual design or engineering breakthroughs. Porsche is in trouble, but folks with money will always buy.
Post of the week.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Swoody
I like the center lock wheels (though I guess that pretty much limits any aftermarket choices to none!)..
Not true...

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/2...ck-system.html
Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the new engine is probably stronger/better than we think, that is why it can withstand the extra stress of turbocharging (according to Porsche). It does not rev as high as the GT3, it does not need to so DFI is ok. It is not a true dry sump like the 09tt, but for a street car it should be fine. I'm glad I got my 09tt. For the real hard core Porsche motorsports guys, there are still a few leftover turbos out there. I'm more worried as to what they will do to the next GT2.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 PM
ljm301
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Wet sump?

I watched the whole web special and, fortunately, there is nothing that makes me regret getting my 09. And even more so if the new one is wet sump.
+1
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Is this the one?

What color interior is this??
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Carrera Red Natural Leather
Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Web special is a little confusing.

First, the engine is supposed to be a direct version of the new 3.8l Carrera S. This is a major departure as the previous 996 and 997 Turbo used engines based on the GT1 engine. Porsche chose not to use the direct injection engine for the GT3 due to questionable durability with high revs. It will be interesting to see how it works out in the turbo.

They mention and show a picture of the new paddles behind the steering wheel. There is even some information about these be an option on the 2010 Carrera, but they only show the old style in the video. Hmmm....are those going to be an option on the Turbo?

What about brakes? Does the Turbo now get the bigger/lighter brakes from the new GT3? Looking at the Coupe, it still has the 13.8" brakes. I would really supect that by the time it arrives it does get the improved brakes.

It looks like center lock wheel will be an option. They show the Turbo II standard wheel is a 5-lug and the optional sport wheels are center lock. Personally, I love the look of the new sport wheels. They are very old school BBS.

I am now really wondering about price? I am guessing $140K for the new base price. PDK with paddle shifters, sports chrono with active mounts and center lock wheels. I figure $4-5K will PDK and paddle shifters. Sports chrono with dynamice engine mounts would be aroun $3-3.5K. Center lock will probably run around $4K. This will put a decently loaded Turbo in the $160K range.

Base price is $132,800. It's supposed to have the new brakes, although the rotors will remain the same size as before.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It reminds me of the office manager with the 911 in that old movie 'Office Space'. That fellow embodies the "new Porsche".
Please elaborate as to why the new engine is junk (other than the typical dry oil sump saga.) or that the Centerlocks are faux on the 997.2.

This is a face lift not the next generation 991.

The notion of a sports car is the GT3.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Is this the one?

thanks, now if they need to get rid of the shift ***/selector. Not that I would buy one, but the technology is pretty cool.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo is new....