Sponsored by:

Question about clutch pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question about clutch pedal...

When I rest my foot on the clutch pedal, say at a light at idle, I can feel a vibration in the pedal. The clutch is working fine, but don't remember feeling this in my 997S, 996, or Boxster. Any ideas? Is this normal?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Ideas? Yes. Don't rest foot on clutch pedal. Vibration normal? Well...

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
When I rest my foot on the clutch pedal, say at a light at idle, I can feel a vibration in the pedal. The clutch is working fine, but don't remember feeling this in my 997S, 996, or Boxster. Any ideas? Is this normal?
since I don't rest foot on clutch pedal of either of my two Porsches I can't say for sure but I suspect it is.

When warm I hear a light knocking/ticking sound at idle with transmission in neutral and clutch pedal released and foot of resting of course on the floorboard and not on the pedal.

I depress the clutch pedal and then release it noise goes away and most of the time does not return. Most of the time though I hear this when I pull into parking space here at home and while I'm checking oil level. I'll depress clutch pedal to verify noise not engine noise and then when I'm satisifed it is just the clutch disc rattling around on input shaft oil level check complete and I shut off engine.

My point is that if enough vibration to cause clutch disc to rattle a bit on input shaft enough to transmit some vibration through pedal if clutch pedal depressed, and resting foot on it is enough to depress clutch pedal.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Normal, but don't depress the pedal at stop lights until you're ready to go, causes premature wear.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sorry. I was too dismissive of your concern. I tested my Turbo today....

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
(996 though not a 997) and felt no vibration through clutch pedal resting my foot on pedal with transmission in neutral and engine idling.

No vibration at all.

Based on my test results I change my reply to say the symptom is not normal. Car under warranty so I'd run it by service manager for his/her opinion.

You shold avoid resting foot on clutch pedal. This applies light pressure to release/throwout bearing and this can result in increased wear and premature failure of this critical component.

Further I shift transmission into neutral and then release clutch pedal while at stop light or stopped for a train.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, guys.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
obewan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2007 997C2 with what I thought was a nice tight clutch - almost two quick to engage.
I now have a 2009 997TT and the clutch seems soft or late to engage once the pedal is released - noted this to the dealer less than 50miles. Asked the dealer about this and he said this is normal with the Turbo - "supposed to give a more comfortable drive"- I will say my knee never hurts in the TT like it did in the C2.
My questions:
1. Can the clutch be easily adjusted at the dealership?
2. Is this different feel normal or does it indicate a problem?

Of note (which I am sure all of you know), but likely not related - the transmission of the C2 was made in Japan and the TT transmission was made in Germany (interesting)
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 AM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clutch is "electronic" so even the lightest pressure on the clutch is not good for it.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ac27
the clutch is "electronic" so even the lightest pressure on the clutch is not good for it.
Care to back this up and explain "electronic"?

The clutch is hydraulically assisted, that is why it feels lighter. I agree not to rest your foot on the pedal as it does cause wear.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by obewan
I had a 2007 997C2 with what I thought was a nice tight clutch - almost two quick to engage.
I now have a 2009 997TT and the clutch seems soft or late to engage once the pedal is released - noted this to the dealer less than 50miles. Asked the dealer about this and he said this is normal with the Turbo - "supposed to give a more comfortable drive"- I will say my knee never hurts in the TT like it did in the C2.
My questions:
1. Can the clutch be easily adjusted at the dealership?
2. Is this different feel normal or does it indicate a problem?

Of note (which I am sure all of you know), but likely not related - the transmission of the C2 was made in Japan and the TT transmission was made in Germany (interesting)
No to both 1 and 2. No easy way to eliminate/adjust the soft clutch. The soft mushy feeling is thanks to the horrible hydraulic assist. While it will be good for your bum knee, it feels like crap. By far my least favorite thing about this wonderful vehicle.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I love the soft clutch. I've driven too many muscle cars that needed Arnold's left leg to work them.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Personally I love the soft clutch. I've driven too many muscle cars that needed Arnold's left leg to work them.
Perhaps I overstated. It's not so much the soft pedal, more so than the complete lack of an engagement point. Both of my most recent DD's (Mini Coop S and Audi A4 Avant) have better clutch feel than the P-car. With the GT2 slave, this engagement point is supposedly much more definable/crisp (although I've never personally driven one). But along with that comes significantly more pedal effort. If one goes hand in hand with the other, then that's the route I'm taking once the power mods start going on.

Quick Reply: Question about clutch pedal...