Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing belt in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Colt45ccg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD- stands for Water Dispersant, so it stands to reason that it helps remove water from the belt/pulleys after a heavy rain. It's a super thin lubricant (kerosene or similar)that unless you douse the belts will not cause any problems. This trick is universal to all manufacturers/makes, and mechanics have been using it longer than I have been alive to correct belt squeel.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
MistGt
Advanced

Mine only gets a squeal after a hard rain or rinse when the car is sitting. I've never had it happen during driving in hard rain. Once I start the car after a hard rain, it'll squeal a bit, and then go away after about 30 secs. The dealer did replace the serpentine belt on my car once, but this was when I first bought the car. It is an 07 and the previous owner rarely drove the car, and the belt would squeal even on a dry day on start up occasionally, so they replaced it under warranty. Otherwise, any minor squealing in the rain is normal.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
TeamWheels
Intermediate

I live in South Florida and it happens to me all the time in heavy rain and after a car wash.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
BostonRocket
6th Gear

Happened to me twice last week. Once after the car was started after a soaking rain, and again when the car was started after a wash. I asked a technician, and he verified that this happens due to water saturating some drive belts. He informed me to just drive it, and not to be worried about it.

'Rocket
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its normal..just had my GT2 client complain about it. Its the way the decklid is designed...just lets the water hit the belt

Quick Reply: Squealing belt in the rain