Sponsored by:

Porsche getting tough on tuned ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
mgarbe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche getting tough on tuned ECUs

I was just about to pull the trigger on an ECU upgrade for my 997TT when I took my car in for some routing service. The tuner I use is a related company to the local dealer (Pfaff Tuning and Pfaff Porsche.) My service advisor told me that I should hold off on the ECU upgrade because Porsche has become quite difficult to deal with on engine related issue if the ECU has been reprogrammed.

If there is even a check engine light, Porsche now requires the dealer to perform an audit which will show several things including if the ECU has been modified. If it has, Porsche is denying all warranty claims. Has anyone else heard about this?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that has always been the party line, but a lot of dealers actually flash the cars themselves. I wouldn't ( and didn't) worry about it at all. It all comes down to your relationship with the dealer. My dealer knows mine's been flashed and has done several warranty items to date without issue.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think that has always been the party line, but a lot of dealers actually flash the cars themselves. I wouldn't ( and didn't) worry about it at all. It all comes down to your relationship with the dealer. My dealer knows mine's been flashed and has done several warranty items to date without issue.
Total agreement for minor problems, but throw a rod thru the block and see what happens!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Total agreement for minor problems, but throw a rod thru the block and see what happens!
And how many tts have thrown rods through the blocks with just an ECU tune ?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could also have issues if you are trying to hide it. That's one reason I like my Ruf, it is stamped " RUF" right on the ECU, nothing to hide.
I think you are pretty safe with a GIAC or EVO flash, they are both well known and sold/installed by many dealers in the US. They are also both very safe flashes with long safety records. These motors are strong, neither of these flashes by themselves will hurt anything.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
And how many tts have thrown rods through the blocks with just an ECU tune ?
Have no idea?

Are you going for the next level 600 Cargraphic/RS T kit?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Have no idea?
I Have never heard of this happening and the beauty of these modern Bosch Motronics is that they protect the engine so well that even a bad "tune" will not damage the engine......
Originally Posted by Z06
Are you going for the next level 600 Cargraphic/RS T kit?
Oh yes...... PM'd you
Old 04-26-2009, 05:17 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in north jersey-a dealer by me (jack daniels) advertises the hell out of their tuning business-all throughout their service area, they have multiple advertisements about their ability to do the entire champion upgrade to any porsche, especially turbos, including an ecu flash, exhaust, new turbos, etc. by logic alone, they would have to be the automotive equivalent of bernie madeoff if they would not stand behind a warranty issue on a car that they have taken money from you to do some form of tuneing upgrade, including flashing the car. if you go to an authorized dealer and they do the upgrade, how could they not back you on a warranty problem?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i live in north jersey-a dealer by me (jack daniels) advertises the hell out of their tuning business-all throughout their service area, they have multiple advertisements about their ability to do the entire champion upgrade to any porsche, especially turbos, including an ecu flash, exhaust, new turbos, etc. by logic alone, they would have to be the automotive equivalent of bernie madeoff if they would not stand behind a warranty issue on a car that they have taken money from you to do some form of tuneing upgrade, including flashing the car. if you go to an authorized dealer and they do the upgrade, how could they not back you on a warranty problem?
The dealer may be willing to warranty their upgrades where the dealership pays for any warranty repairs. I doubt PCNA will honor the Porsche warranty if it's determined that the mod caused the warranty claim. So if this is the dealer's policy and assuming they are still around, the "dealer warranty" should be OK - just don't expect PCNA to step up.

Quick Reply: Porsche getting tough on tuned ECUs