Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in the UK I have seen people use a vinyl copy of the plate as well, stuck on the nose. Is that allowed there?
If so, just make one and stick it in the center. I have to say I am not thrilled with the off center look...
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

In CA it costs about $40K/year to house a prisoner. Not counting any medical.
Prisoners make license plates, and the DMV sells them; with annual maintenance fees called registration.
Photo red light enforcement goes bat$hit when they don't get a front plate picture.
The vinyl plate substitute probably reflects poorly and will not be allowed.

I did not check with the CA DMV. I only got one no plate ticket. In Hollywood, 1 minute after the parking meter expired.

Chances are you will be ok if you don't get pulled over for something else. I am hoping for the occasion when the nice cop gives me a no plate ticket instead of speeding ticket. Has happened to others before.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I like the vinyl decal idea a lot. If it is the exact dimensions of a licence plate plus frame then from far it should look ok. What if you also keep the original front plate in the car ic case you are stopped?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A front license plate looks awefull on these turbos. I can't remember the last time I had a front license plate on my weekend car. The Mitsu 3000 GT, Corvette C5, M3, 997S, and now 997 TT that I have owned never had a front plate installed (upon request). I understand that you have to sign a waiver these days of some sorts when purchasing a new car. These cars cover a 20 year span and I never got cited for no front plates. I live in a city that has cameras all over the place. The key is not to get pulled over and not to get parking tickets or you will be asking for trouble. I've just been lucky I guess. I do carry the front plate in my trunk but I doubt that its going to make much of a difference if I get pulled over.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dave29
I live in Calif. where a front license plate is required. Other than the mount that uses the tow hook location, has anyone come up with a better solution than drilling into the front bumper? My car is a 08 Turbo.
Thanks
Jim
Yeah, don't mount the plate. I've lived/driven in CA for years and never been cited for no front plate.

Now I admit I do not park my car in places where parking laws are strictly enforced like areas that have parking meters, or are heavily patroled by parking enforcement types.

But I have been pulled over several times in the various cars and a few times issued a speeding (which I always fight) and not once has the officer tacked on a no front plate citation.

If you get a front plate citation then worry about how to mount the plate.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I mount a front plate just to keep the authorities from using that as an excuse to pull me over. (These days, they are so shy of revenue that ANYTHING is on the table for them!).

I drilled a few holes in the top of the center filler panel and mounted some stainless steel bolts there so that I could mount something there. Wound up doing it this way, and it avoids drilling into the painted area:
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lived in CA for 14 years and have never had a front plate on any of my cars or my wife's cars. We've been pulled over plenty for speeding, and have never even gotten a fixit ticket for the plate. I say just take your chances. Worst case, you get a fixit ticket.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Those 'fix it' tickets are up to about $200 in California--especially on a repeat offense.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might add that last year I got tagged in a "sting" operation where I supposedly didn't stop for a pedestrian. It was on a 3 lane city street where some intersections have no lights or stop signs. I was driving in the far left lane when someone stepped onto the crosswalk way over on my right hand side. The officer said he could of pulled anyone over but picked me. I didn't argue with him because he looked at the front bumper and said "I could also tag you for no front plates" I kept my mouth shut and accepted the moving violation. I should of known something was up when I spotted a dozen or so police cars pulling people over left and right about 6 blocks behind me. It happens quite often around the SF Bay Area.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 PM
997inTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this! Www.swiftmotorsports.com

The have a hide away plate! They also have a demo on you tube

Quick Reply: Front license plate