Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall to lubricate variable turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall to lubricate variable turbine?

I got a call today from dealership about a need to bring my car in. Something about lubricating something in the variable turbine system. "Could seize and you'd get more turbo lag."

Didn't sound like a true recall (I did get a recall letter about air conditioner coolant needing to be checked as may be low from factory).

Just curious if anyone else heard anything like this.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

they may be lubricating the VTG actuating arms which are external to the turbo
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes they did it on my car last week when I had it in for 30k service, takes 10 minutes.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
haudimal
Track Day

That is very interesting. Last week i had a problem with my turbos, which didn´t build any pressure.

Brought it to the OPC and the PIWIS showed a problem with the VTG system which says, that the VTG was "rough-running"

They denied the warranty because of my aftermarket exhaust (no ECU mod!) so i had to pay it myself.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
they may be lubricating the VTG actuating arms which are external to the turbo
Ford has been doing this for years with the Powerstrokes.
No big deal.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haudimal
That is very interesting. Last week i had a problem with my turbos, which didn´t build any pressure.

Brought it to the OPC and the PIWIS showed a problem with the VTG system which says, that the VTG was "rough-running"

They denied the warranty because of my aftermarket exhaust (no ECU mod!) so i had to pay it myself.
if your exhaust did not cause the issue, then they should not have denied the warranty.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by manny_g
if your exhaust did not cause the issue, then they should not have denied the warranty.
Why?
Once you alter the OEM configuration of the vehicle, your warranty coverage is at the sole discretion of PAG.
They can claim that since the turbocharger is an integral part of the exhaust design, the modification voided the warranty.

No, it's not common sense, it's a legal view of an OEM warranty.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneManTX
I got a call today from dealership about a need to bring my car in. Something about lubricating something in the variable turbine system. "Could seize and you'd get more turbo lag."

Didn't sound like a true recall (I did get a recall letter about air conditioner coolant needing to be checked as may be low from factory).

Just curious if anyone else heard anything like this.
what year tt do you have, is it all tt or certain build version
Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless they can prove that the exhaust caused the fault then they can't deny warranty. That is just the dealers way of wanting to screw you over. This is covered in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Guys please realize that this is a maintenance issue. Porsche is checking out each car when they come into service to examine the movement of the vanes.

In '05 in testing 14 of the 16 North American cars had turbine vane issues. It is alot easier on diesel engines since the unburnt fuel lubricates the moving vanes. I am seeing more and more of these units being sent to me for a "clean up" Certain fuel grades or cheaper brands of fuel add deposits which stick to the moving vanes. This causes the vanes to bind, if one binds the entire assy fails.

I think that as time goes on, we will see more notice about these issues. The thig that I am concerned about is the cost that is going to charged in 30K services to repair failed turbochargers. Or better yet, how many warranties are going to be denied..

If any of you guys are getting jerked around at the dealer please email me and I'll be glad to help you>>help your mechanic.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IaAaron
Unless they can prove that the exhaust caused the fault then they can't deny warranty. That is just the dealers way of wanting to screw you over. This is covered in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
I don't agree. They can simply claim that x number of unmodified vehicles do not exhibit the failure, not that the modification is 100% clear of any issues.
MMWA does not give you liberty to modify a vehicle and then ask the OEM to fix it.
I do agree that it is subject to reasonable acts, but mechanical mods can be litigated in the OEM's favor.....and PCNA loves to litigate.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Unless you are a attorney, you can cry foul all you want. Porsche will deny the claim and push you to litigate. They have the attorney's on retainer. It will cost you more in the end. The exhaust system is a emission device that covers/includes the turbochargers. Installing a exhaust and having turbocharger issues will produce some interesting debates in the near future.

My advice is to "work" with your dealer, and/or find a mod friendly dealer that will make a win-win situation with the labor dollars that you have to spend.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by IaAaron
US law NA in EU.

Quick Reply: Recall to lubricate variable turbine?