Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$275 for brake flush and bleed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
Default $275 for brake flush and bleed...

Is Porsche out of their god damned minds....

Who am I kidding, we all know the answer to that already...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that expensive?

*edit, never mind. It is.

We charge $89.95 for it.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like 2 hours labor + material + shop charges.
Use Castrol SRF for $275 and I'm in.

Hey, there are guys paying more than this for a Cayenne oil change.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Considering it takes about 1/2 hr. TOPS...
YES...

And my Porsche shop where I have my 993 serviced, they charge $150 for the same job. And they use better brake fluid (super blue) which is also more expensive by about $2-$3 quart.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by B-Line
Considering it takes about 1/2 hr. TOPS...
YES....
I would imagine it takes a bit more than a 1/2 hour to get a car on the lift, remove the wheels, bleed 4 calipers, inspect brakes/lines, reinstall wheels, bleed clutch slave/accumulator and remove the car from the lift.......but I'm slow.

And my Porsche shop where I have my 993 serviced, they charge $150 for the same job. And they use better brake fluid (super blue) which is also more expensive by about $2-$3 quart.
I wouldn't call ATE Super Blue 'better brake fluid'.
I wouldn't run that in my son's karts (I use Motul RBF600 in those...I save the Castrol SRF for the Cup car)
The following users liked this post:
Maxo964 (01-18-2021)
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
I would imagine it takes a bit more than a 1/2 hour to get a car on the lift, remove the wheels, bleed 4 calipers, inspect brakes/lines, reinstall wheels, bleed clutch slave/accumulator and remove the car from the lift.......but I'm slow.

I wouldn't call ATE Super Blue 'better brake fluid'.
I wouldn't run that in my son's karts (I use Motul RBF600 in those...I save the Castrol SRF for the Cup car)
Okay, an hour... I've still never heard of a brake job costing $275 for fluid change. My non Porsche, race garage charges $150
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B line, did you pay for it , or just inquire w/ your local dealer?

If not, just move on and go get it done cheaper elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It is so easy to do if you have a Motive Bleeder... unless you are not into working in your car or work/family does not allow you the time to work on the car, or you simply don't want to do it, then pay for the dealer to do it... complexity is not an issue with this task...

Most of the time this takes is spent on raising the car and removing the wheels...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an old saying by the venerable philosopher, Yogi Berra, "Everything takes longer than it takes." Anyone who does his own work can do it faster and cheaper than any shop, by their own claims. If you try to make a business of this, you will be out of business before long. Lets be real here.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
B line, did you pay for it , or just inquire w/ your local dealer?

If not, just move on and go get it done cheaper elsewhere.
Nah, I just inquired.. That's exactly what I'm going to do, get it done cheaper elsewhere. In a normal economy, I might have said "screw it" just do it. But with the market in the turmoil that it is, every $150 saved is, well, $150.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

You should own a Ferrari. :-( Personally a couple of hours of my time to do what I want to is worth more than 275. If you like doing it then it's different.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM
B-Line
Drifting

I don't mind Porsche overcharging for stuff. After all, it's Porsche and it is to be expected. But a brake bleed/flush on a Porsche doesn't take any more time than a brake bleed/flush on a Honda. The only thing that should equate to any price difference is the quality of the brake fluid.

If Porsche is charging $150/hr for labor, that's fine, but then I should have a reasonable expectation that they are going to work as fast as the Honda mechanic at 1/2 the price.

My point is, not that Porsche is wrong for charging more than the local garage, than the other types of car dealers, etc. But how much latitude do we give them? Again, I'm not talking about some specialized Porsche service on a varioum turbo, etc. I'm talking about a brake flush.

Should it really be TWICE the price that my local speed shop charges? Again, I'm not talking about Jiffy Lube. I'm talking about a garage that services 95% Porsches, restorations, racing, etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Book time on a brake bleed is 1.2 hours plus fluid.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I don't mind Porsche overcharging for stuff. After all, it's Porsche and it is to be expected. But a brake bleed/flush on a Porsche doesn't take any more time than a brake bleed/flush on a Honda. The only thing that should equate to any price difference is the quality of the brake fluid.

If Porsche is charging $150/hr for labor, that's fine, but then I should have a reasonable expectation that they are going to work as fast as the Honda mechanic at 1/2 the price.

My point is, not that Porsche is wrong for charging more than the local garage, than the other types of car dealers, etc. But how much latitude do we give them? Again, I'm not talking about some specialized Porsche service on a varioum turbo, etc. I'm talking about a brake flush.

Should it really be TWICE the price that my local speed shop charges? Again, I'm not talking about Jiffy Lube. I'm talking about a garage that services 95% Porsches, restorations, racing, etc.

OK, so if I understand, a brake fluid change/flush should take about the same amount of time as it takes to get all of that red tape off your car, correct

Old saying from the late 70's:
"IF you have to ask what the gas mileage is, maybe you shouldn't be buying a Cadillac".
Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, so if I understand, a brake fluid change/flush should take about the same amount of time as it takes to get all of that red tape off your car, correct
The Turbo gets track tape also....

Quick Reply: $275 for brake flush and bleed...