Turbo and PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
marklondon
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Turbo and PDK

Hello everyone

I've been a lurker for a couple of years and I'm now getting close to buying a 997 Turbo. I had a Scuderia on order but have had to cancel it as we have a baby on the way and I don't think I would have been able to drive a two seater much. So.... baby seat in the back of the 997 and off we go!

Couple of questions for you if you wouldn't mind, I have had a search but can't really see the answers I am looking for.

1. When will PDK be available on the Turbo (an estimate is good)
2. When is the new Turbo due - is there a face lift in 2010-2011 or will it be an all new car.
3. Will the new engine be at the same time as the PDK.

Where I live it is extremely hard to sell a car so whatever I buy I will be keeping probably 4 years or more. I am pretty impressed with what I have read about the PDK so if it means waiting another 9 months or so then fine. If it's going to be two years though.... maybe I would just buy now.

Thanks everyone
Mark
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by marklondon
Hello everyone

I've been a lurker for a couple of years and I'm now getting close to buying a 997 Turbo. I had a Scuderia on order but have had to cancel it as we have a baby on the way and I don't think I would have been able to drive a two seater much. So.... baby seat in the back of the 997 and off we go!

Couple of questions for you if you wouldn't mind, I have had a search but can't really see the answers I am looking for.

1. When will PDK be available on the Turbo (an estimate is good)
2. When is the new Turbo due - is there a face lift in 2010-2011 or will it be an all new car.
3. Will the new engine be at the same time as the PDK.

Thanks everyone
Mark
The best information that has been pieced together indicates the face-lift TT with PDK as an option will arrive early 2009 as a MY 2010. The face-lift TT will use the engine block from the base 911 with Turbos/DFI and should have a horsepower bump to 500-510 HP. Most of us lament the demise of the GT1/M97 block but the new engine, while unproven, is being marketed as an improvement. It does seem likely that the new engine will be less easily modifiable.

I have not yet seen a photo of a production 2009 TT so I do not know whether or not it will have the new tail lights - most expected it to have the '07/'08 tail lights but an interesting photo surfaced recently indicating it is possible that the new tail lights will arrive with the 2009's. 2009's are on the boat so photos should surface very soon.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
marklondon
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the information - worth waiting for then I think. Much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't heard of anything being done with pdk and the turbo. effectivly the 998(facelift 997) gt3 won't even have pdk, not at first introduction.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by marklondon
Hello everyone

. So.... baby seat in the back of the 997 and off we go!
This may be kind of trivial compared to stuff like DFI and PDK, etc., but I had baby/booster seat issues in the past with my 996. Standard booster seats and baby seats, in the US anyway, don't fit in the back - seats are too narrow. Not sure what's out there now, but if that's a serious need for you, research it some. My youngest kids (7 and 8 and 80 lbs or so) now fit nicely in back of the cab with no boosters.

The 911 was also big enough to move my oldest son to college this year - such a practical family car!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

As most of you know, I sell Porsche, so you'll think I'm biased. But personally, I'd buy a Turbo now, and call it a day.

The car is absolutely bad-*** enough and just plain gorgeous.....

life's too short to constantly wait.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Oh and to answer the questions: PDK, DFI and face lift will all happen as MY10 car. 100% definate? No. But pretty darn close.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
As most of you know, I sell Porsche, so you'll think I'm biased. But personally, I'd buy a Turbo now, and call it a day.

That's what I did - no regrets.
True
True
Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?

i agree. buy it now-so if it gets 20 more hp? as busy as london is though, i could see why you would think of the pdk. the 6 speed though is a bunch of fun. as an aside, i just got back from london after staying there at the reanaissance chancery and getting to england on the queen mary 2. it is a wonderful town-i have never seen more hi line cars in my life-every day, i would see 5-8 ferraris, a few lambos, turbos everyplace and bentleys like they were chevys. gotta be a lot of people making a living there. but, i agree-buy the turbo now-why wait the year, and maybe be disappointed.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i agree. buy it now-so if it gets 20 more hp? as busy as london is though, i could see why you would think of the pdk. the 6 speed though is a bunch of fun. as an aside, i just got back from london after staying there at the reanaissance chancery and getting to england on the queen mary 2. it is a wonderful town-i have never seen more hi line cars in my life-every day, i would see 5-8 ferraris, a few lambos, turbos everyplace and bentleys like they were chevys. gotta be a lot of people making a living there. but, i agree-buy the turbo now-why wait the year, and maybe be disappointed.
go to LA, if you spend a week in the area you'll(trust me on this) get tired of seeing all the porsches, ferraris, lambo's, maseratti's, roll royce, and bentley's. honostly i went there for a week and got tired of it, came home and drove my stealth just so i didn't have to look at my 944. easiest way to see the cars, get a tour of star homes, the driveways look like museums. got to see the boss jean owner's house...11 ferrari's, in the driveway! plus other assortments
Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I understand the need for PDK; especially in those area's with massive traffic. But to that I'd say that the Turbo is by far- much easier to 'clutch' then even a C2 or C2S. Very light actuation.

I just delivered a Turbo coupe yesterday to a client who's owned 5 Porsche. He was giddy. That's nice to see, especially from someone who can buy pretty much ANY car he wants.

You won't go wrong in buying a Turbo now. And if you have any hesitation; go for a CPO'd car. Save some $$ and there's plenty of cars out there. Tips and Manuals.

Quick Reply: Turbo and PDK