Exporting 997 TT's form the US over to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exporting 997 TT's form the US over to Europe

Hi guy's

I'm looking into exporting approx 2 997's from the US to Switzerland on a monthly basis and have come across a company called exporttrader.com

Whilst browsing there inventories it states that cars purchased either via their online auction or at a fixed screen cost HAVE to be exported outside of the US!

Firstly I know this does not affect me or our business but it raises the question WHY is this so and what could possibly prevent these cars from being sold in North America?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. We will be test driving the new Rinspeed 997 TT LM600 in 2 weeks time so I will get a load of pictures for you guys including full specs and impressions from the factory road test.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

For more info on export call Automobile concept at +1 305 893 1950 , it's what they do.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

2 997's a month? PCNA is putting the smack down on any dealer who participates in exporting. So for your sake, I hope their all used cars (over 6 months old).
Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Whilst browsing there inventories it states that cars purchased either via their online auction or at a fixed screen cost HAVE to be exported outside of the US!

Firstly I know this does not affect me or our business but it raises the question WHY is this so and what could possibly prevent these cars from being sold in North America?
Sounds bogus to me. Legally, you take title, you own it, you drive it and keep it where you want. Subject to meeting local DOT requirements. So if it's already a US spec car sitting here, it can stay. Of course PCNA would take a dim view of a US dealer shipping a new car to Europe.

Due to the $/Euro rate, there is a big incentive for gray marketing a US spec car to Europe. Think of a $126K TT going for $180K in Europe. Hence Porsche's $4200 Factory Delivery option. Without air fare or hotel.

There is a guy on 6speedonline accepting $130K dealer trade in on a GT2, for his 1900 mile $150K sticker TT.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

You buy a Porsche now, you sign a non-export agreement which states that you agree to not export that car for 2 year period of time. If you do so, there will be a 100,000 fine- and Porsche will prosecute. MB already has as has BMW. Now, PCNA released that ANY car that is sold (new) and found at the Port within 6 months there will be heavy penalties towards the dealers- making them accountable as well.

things are really heating up with the grey-market cars.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Must be recent as I did not sign anything like that when I took delivery 12-14-07.

Still, I find it hard to enforce at the consumer level. Say you bought a Rolex here, are you saying you can't take it to Europe?

Also, this does not answer "future"'s question about cars that have to be exported to Europe.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Must be recent as I did not sign anything like that when I took delivery 12-14-07.

Still, I find it hard to enforce at the consumer level. Say you bought a Rolex here, are you saying you can't take it to Europe?

Also, this does not answer "future"'s question about cars that have to be exported to Europe.
Probably the dealer has to sign not the consumer.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Probably the dealer has to sign not the consumer.
That would make sense.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many ways in the grey market, to avoid that fine, that at this very moment , some p-dealers are still selling cars to EU. I advice you to get a Swiss or EU company, i can give you a name via PM if you want. You re going to pay much less than exportraders.com or another one.
just my 2 $cents.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM
A. G. Bethlen
4th Gear

I apologize I am a newbie - I posted in a different area but think this one might be the right place. Here is my question/Dillema:

I have a 2012 997.2 that I will be taking with me to Germany in the coming month (being transferred by my company). Does anyone have experience with what modifications I would have to be made to a US spec 911 to make it road legal to register in Germany? Have been looking everywhere and no seems to have a solid answer for this. Thanks for your help...
Old 12-01-2016, 11:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's stock you should be ok, might need kph speedo. Any mod has to be tuv approved with paperwork.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe they'll accept the MPH speedo with the Km/hr digital display like in Canada when you bring in US cars (switch digital display to km/hr and get running lights turned on are typically the only mods needed on late model US 911s being imported to Canada).
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are exporting cars that are still under warranty, it may be voided. I would read the warranty and check with Porsche.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 AM
A. G. Bethlen
4th Gear

This is what the Porsche Dealer in Munich is stating! I am hoping he is incorrect....

"The registration in Germany is a bit complicated: First the car needs to arrive in Germany and pass customs. When customs are cleared you need to apply for a so called technical data sheet.
Therefore you will need the original title, the customs documents and a sales contract. This data sheet will be sent to you by Porsche within 6 weeks. When the car arrives in our Porsche center, we have to check if everything is compatible to German laws. The cars we imported recently all needed new headlights, taillights, indicators and new rear bumpers (approximately 9000€).
This has to be checked by German authorities (TUV). Afterwards we have to start the registration"

That is insane number of changes...will try to find an independent mechanic as this seems a bit crazy...
Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A. G. Bethlen
This is what the Porsche Dealer in Munich is stating! I am hoping he is incorrect....

"The registration in Germany is a bit complicated: First the car needs to arrive in Germany and pass customs. When customs are cleared you need to apply for a so called technical data sheet.
Therefore you will need the original title, the customs documents and a sales contract. This data sheet will be sent to you by Porsche within 6 weeks. When the car arrives in our Porsche center, we have to check if everything is compatible to German laws. The cars we imported recently all needed new headlights, taillights, indicators and new rear bumpers (approximately 9000€).
This has to be checked by German authorities (TUV). Afterwards we have to start the registration"

That is insane number of changes...will try to find an independent mechanic as this seems a bit crazy...
Of course it's complicated. He wants you to buy what he has.

Lived many years in Germany, though it was long ago. US Army and others brought all kinds of wild US made stuff and got it registered. I would talk to one of them and see how it went, especially a car originally made in the Fatherland.

Quick Reply: Exporting 997 TT's form the US over to Europe