Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel and Toe in the 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 08:46 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Default Heel and Toe in the 997 TT

Just bought a 997 TT (traded in a Ferrari F430). The car has ceramic brakes. I find the brake pedal is too high ( by at least 2 - 3") when depressed to readily heal and toe down shift. I took a look around the brake pedal and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to lower the pedal. Does anyone have a way to lower the pedal to allow for this? TIA.
Old 07-09-2008 | 09:47 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem in my 996TT and just installed a Rennline black aluminium gas pedal with side extensions and now I'm able to heel-toe easily. The pedal also has rubber nubs for grip. To me it wasn't that the brake pedal was too high, it was that the gas pedal was a little too far to the right. Maybe I have a narrow foot. Good luck.

Rennline also offers a gas pedal lifter plate which basically works like a spacer to raise the height of the gas pedal. I bought it but found the extensions were all I needed so sent it back.
Old 07-09-2008 | 10:41 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Must be related to the ceramics, I don't have any trouble at all with the big reds. I'm sure you'll get used to it.
So tell us about the TT and how it compares to the 430....
Old 07-10-2008 | 12:45 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. So far, I find the 997 TT much easier to just get in and drive. The reason I booted the 430 was that it was a car you really had to want to drive - a strange statement but true. It was not well suited for the daily driver bit, didn't do anything better than any of the numerous sports cars I've owned - except turn heads. I will say it was the most beautiful car I have ever owned. Too many worries - beating up the car, the thought about how much each mile cost in depreciation, a PITA to get into and out of, so loud inside so that you could hardly carry on a conversation, weird behavior of people on the road following/chasing you, etc.

The other thing that was an issue was getting warranty service. If you are lucky to live in a city where there is a F dealer (like I do), you really have to be on your best behavior to get them to work on your car. If you **** them off, your car will sit for a long time IMHO - they have plenty of work to do so if it takes a while for them to rotate you in so be it.

As for performance, the 430 was more like a motorcycle - liked/needed high revs. Not much low end grunt compared to a lot of sports cars. Likely though that 0-60, 0-1/4 mile times not that far apart between the cars.

All in all, I find the 997 an easier every day car and I don't worry about hopping in it and driving.
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2008 | 01:09 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone have a way to lower the pedal to allow for this? TIA.
Don't alter the brake pedal. Just practice by entering the corner faster, braking later, and heel-toe-ing quicker. It will take some time to get used to it, but once done right it is very natural.

Regards,
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:26 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

+1 for the Rennline pedals with the red throttle extensions.
Old 07-10-2008 | 09:28 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jamie140
+1 for the Rennline pedals with the red throttle extensions.
Anyone care to share a pic of their Rennlines in the TT? I've been considering them for a while, but just haven't pulled the trigger.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:23 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I would like to see some pics of these pedals... Also Joe T what kind of wheel is on your car? I like them with the red stripe. Any closer pics of the wheels? Your ceramics are they aftermarket(red instead of yellow)?
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:27 AM
am722
Drifting

There is a very extensive thread on this in the 997 GT3 forum. The consensus seems to be that the ceramic-equipped cars have pedals that are suited perfectly to heel-toe in high performance situations (i.e. heavy breaking), but aren't ideal for regular street driving.

Why are your ceramics red? Did you have them powdercoated?

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I can't resist: how do you like Katy? My parents are thinking of moving there. They're from a college town in the midwest so they are looking for something a little more laid back than inner-loop Houston.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:47 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Crappy cell phone picture.

Edit: looking at it, it's pretty damn good for a phone!
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2008 | 03:09 PM
Stradale
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe T
Thanks for the input. So far, I find the 997 TT much easier to just get in and drive. The reason I booted the 430 was that it was a car you really had to want to drive - a strange statement but true. It was not well suited for the daily driver bit, didn't do anything better than any of the numerous sports cars I've owned - except turn heads. I will say it was the most beautiful car I have ever owned. Too many worries - beating up the car, the thought about how much each mile cost in depreciation, a PITA to get into and out of, so loud inside so that you could hardly carry on a conversation, weird behavior of people on the road following/chasing you, etc.

The other thing that was an issue was getting warranty service. If you are lucky to live in a city where there is a F dealer (like I do), you really have to be on your best behavior to get them to work on your car. If you **** them off, your car will sit for a long time IMHO - they have plenty of work to do so if it takes a while for them to rotate you in so be it.

As for performance, the 430 was more like a motorcycle - liked/needed high revs. Not much low end grunt compared to a lot of sports cars. Likely though that 0-60, 0-1/4 mile times not that far apart between the cars.

All in all, I find the 997 an easier every day car and I don't worry about hopping in it and driving.

Weird. I have racing seats in my F430 & dont have issues getting in & out. Guess everyones different. Dont mean to get too personal but just curious about your age & body type. If you wanted a quiet sports car you sure picked the right one w/ the stock Turbo. I actually just disconnected the vacuum lines to the bypass valves on my F430 so instead of the exhaust opening in the higher rpms, it's wide open all the time, absolutely loving it!

What did you do to "****" of the service dept?

Did someone paint your PCCB's red? Man it woulda been cool if you kept the F430 & bought a Turbo Cab. Then you'd have the perfect DD + weekend warrior combo. (imho of course) Congrats on one bad a$$ looking Turbo! Love the all blacked out look on these cars. Do you have a pic handy of your Turbo from the rear? I'm debating getting the rear lights lightly smoked. tia~
Old 07-10-2008 | 04:48 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

really like the all black look in the tt looks very sinister...congrats on the purchase. btw the f-car looked pretty nice as well.
Old 07-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I didn't want the aluminum look like Jamie has so bought just the black gas pedal and black extensions, for a stealthy look. Basically just blends in and not really noticeable, but exactly like Jamie's in design.
Old 07-11-2008 | 12:27 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Wink

All -

Thanks for the input! As discussed, when the brake pedal is seriously applied it is actually at the right level for easy heal and toe downshifting. However, I don't generally drive like that on the street so will likely give the Rennline pedal a shot.

As for the various questions contained in the threads, here goes -

The wheels are Forgeline ZX3P. I absolutely love them. The red stripe was something I wanted them to do as I have seen it on other cars and, if it is thin and subtle enough, looks great (IMO).

I don't like black/yellow nearly as much as I like black/red so I had the yellow calipers painted red. They are factory PCCB - just painted. I also had red seat belts installed in the car as well as a lot of CF. My Ferrari had a gorgeous interior with red accents and lots of CF - I really like that.

As for deciding the F car needed to go, ultimately, for my purposes, it wasn't worth the money. Once I decided that, it had to go. As for getting in and out, I am 6'4" which I am sure contributed to feeling that it was a bit of a pain to get in and out of...funny thing is I don't feel that way getting into and out of my race car (2002 996 GT3RS). I guess it's all about motivation.

With respect to the dealer, I didn't do anything to **** them off. It just took them two weeks once they had the car to get some warranty work done. This was after I made sure they received the parts they needed and understood what the issue was. They almost never answered the phone or returned phone calls. I very politely visited them in person about 4 times to make sure they had everything they needed to get it finished. I am absolutely convinced that it would have taken at least 4 weeks to get the car back had I not gone in person to find out what was going on. How many of us would put up with that **** from a Porsche dealer?

As for Katy, we like it here but it is growing tremendously. I think the population just out here is something like 200,000. As a result, traffic can be pretty heavy on the local roads in certain spots. We moved here for the schools for my kids and now neither of them go to public schools here ... a long story.

Here are a few pics per your requests. Thanks again for all the input.
Attached Images     
Old 07-11-2008 | 12:57 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome; I love those rims! Who did the pinstripe on them for you? Hope to see you around some of the local PCA club events.

I cant remember anybody having a kind word for our F dealer. Must be nice to have a waiting list and not actually have to work for business You know its a "privilege" to be able to own one of their cars! Their racing team did pretty good at Le mans this year so maybe they were to busy for the average punter

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe in the 997 TT