Sponsored by:

Drove a Turbo (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Drove a Turbo (finally)

So now that my wife is on summer vacation (she's a teacher), she accompanied me to the local Porsche dealer to finally drive the car I'm itching to order - a 997 Turbo.

WHAT AN AMAZING CAR!!! The first time I got on boost, it was like a rocket. Very, very impressive. I've had a modded Evo, been in some seriously quick cars, but that thing is a MONSTER.

Let's just say that sealed the deal. I'm ordering a new Turbo as soon as the order guide is available. Atlas Gray/Sea Blue, sport seats, sport chrono, LSD, etc. I am beyond stoked - the wait is going to kill me!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:18 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, yes I do remember that day fondly. My first drive in a TT, lets see now when was that.....well just last April 3rd and I bought the monster on the spot. I do know what you are talking about.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently got my TT and was blown away with the stock power. It was amazing. I can only imagine what this car is like with 700hp after some typical conversions.

Chris, you will have a freakin' blast.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Chris -
Comments like yours are making me even more excited about my impending purchase!
BTW, good move marrying a teacher: if you do something wrong they make you do it again.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Thanks guys - I have been pondering and wavering and generally pissing all of my friends with my indecision... A lot of your input really swayed me. I can honestly say there is not a car (in my realistic reach) that I'd rather have.

Once the order guide comes out and I put the order in, I'll post my full specs.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:32 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

The TT is a great everyday supercar. It can be easily tweaked to your tastes too, and has unlimited potential for upgrades. Great choice!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I agree, great DD super car! You couldn't match the reliability in 200k + market cars and performance standards are right there....Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 551 Posts

Drove my son's last year and had to have one.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.
The trigger is pulled - I just need Porsche to put out that order guide!

My only question/gripe for you guys:

Does the clutch feel change after time? I ask because it seems that the bite point is ridiculously high. Driving off the lot I felt like an amateur because I'd keep letting out clutch, feeding revs, and then FINALLY it would bite. My RS4 has a bite point only a couple inches off the floor so the difference couldn't be more significant. I know I'd get used to it in a day or two, but it was really unnerving. Beyond that, I couldn't have a complaint!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

the one you drove may have been worn. New ones don't have that problem
Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

My Audi S3 clutch pedal kicks in a LOT lower than my (new) Turbo does (same for my old 997 Carrera too).

Just something to get use to and after a while you prefer it I assure you!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The trigger is pulled - I just need Porsche to put out that order guide!

My only question/gripe for you guys:

Does the clutch feel change after time? I ask because it seems that the bite point is ridiculously high. Driving off the lot I felt like an amateur because I'd keep letting out clutch, feeding revs, and then FINALLY it would bite. My RS4 has a bite point only a couple inches off the floor so the difference couldn't be more significant. I know I'd get used to it in a day or two, but it was really unnerving. Beyond that, I couldn't have a complaint!
Mine was biting pretty high too even brand new, but interestingly after the car was really warmed up I would notice the bite level getting a little lower, don't know if anyone else experienced that.
I have a sachs 2 now and it is very close to stock and does the same when warmed up.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

They have a very high friction point on the clutch pedal travel, you'll just have to get use to it!
Congrats, nice combo, the sea interior is very dark, almost black, I love mine. I almost went AG myself.
C
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 PM
jonoz
Instructor

congratulations on your choice.
you will be very happy when you take delivery.
i bought an atlas grey tt this spring and just today went over the 3000 km threshold for accelerating to the red line.....unf'believable.....
this car is a rocket!
enjoy!
j
ps....i love the colour....it changes from a very dark blue black in the sun to a charcoal grey/almost purple in the moonlight!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Thanks again for the input on the clutch. It's just a little weird, but since my TT will be my daily, I'll get used to it quickly.

As for Atlas, it's what sold me on getting a 997. I got to drive the Motor Trend long-term car when my buddy was the road test editor for them. It was Atlas/Stone. I couldn't get over how beautiful it was. I can't wait to see the Turbo's outrageous bumps and curves in that color in the daylight...

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Congrats, nice combo, the sea interior is very dark, almost black, I love mine. I almost went AG myself.
C
Sea Blue was always going to be my choice for interior. It's just a classic Porsche thing - tons of old Porsches have this dark blue leather (usually with silver). It's just another distinguishing thing from the many gray/silver with black interior 911s. It's a big help that Atlas has a lot of blue in it...

Even my wife is getting excited - she wants a matching bag!

Quick Reply: Drove a Turbo (finally)