Sponsored by:

Help with Turbo Tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:14 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Turbo Tip

I have received different opinions on allowing the tiptronic to red line on the track. People have said I should use the paddles on the steering wheel and not allow the red line safety to engage. Others have said drive it like you stole it and it will not hurt the engine to red line it on the track. What is the conventional wisdom out there say?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Good Q. Mine has always upshifted at close to redline in manual mode. Except .......From p. 173 of the manual:

PSM switched off and/or Sport mode switched on:

" ... an automatic upshift does not occur when the engine speed limit (redline?) is reached."
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're hurting your Porsche if you don't take it to redline! Unless the tip transmission has certain limitations itself.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

My TT, like my previous 993, sees redline almost daily, once warmed up.

The Tip will shift down before it lugs the engine. However, I am concerned that in Auto mode, it seems to spend too much time cruising in a high gear at near idle. Great for meeting CAFE standards, but I feel it needs more revs. After the LWF/RS clutch 993, this may take some time to get used to.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 528 Posts

The auto box is the bullet proof one from AMG-MB, for their supercharged 5.5L engine, if those torque monsters cannot hurt the tranny, the Turbo engine certainly cannot.

The Turbo engine can trace it's genes from Porsche's bullet proof GT1 engine, so it's also tough to hurt it either.

The only weak link would be the clutch if your car is a manual, which is the only knock on the Turbo, the manual tranny is borderline on surviving the Turbo engine. But in this case it does not apply
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Vincy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The auto box is the bullet proof one from AMG-MB, for their supercharged 5.5L engine, if those torque monsters cannot hurt the tranny, the Turbo engine certainly cannot.

The Turbo engine can trace it's genes from Porsche's bullet proof GT1 engine, so it's also tough to hurt it either.

The only weak link would be the clutch if your car is a manual, which is the only knock on the Turbo, the manual tranny is borderline on surviving the Turbo engine. But in this case it does not apply

At the track I let the Tip decide the gear and shift points. It does great, better than I can with the toggles, which are hard to use when driving real hard.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 528 Posts

The gearbox came from MB but Porsche writes its own programming logic, and the more aggressive you drives, the better it shifts. The buttons are only useful for normal street driving, for spirited driving nothing beats Ferrari's paddles, they stay in one place so one ALWAYS knows where to shift up or down.

Quick Reply: Help with Turbo Tip