Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Your Help - bad engine with only 180 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintlySins
Thanks for the encouragement "Manny_G"!
Nice shine on that 'Please-Don't-Write-Me-A-Ticket-Red' T-T!
That's what I call ALL red cars. Had a red car ONCE ... got 6 tickets in three weeks, same places I've been driving for 12 years without going noticed. Asked the last officer, "why me" ... and he said "you're the only one I saw". That night I read an article about red cars getting three times more moving violations than any other vehicle color. Traded the car the following morning!
Ticket free 11 years now!

Hope you're luckier than I am!
now you tell me... but in all honestly i do not drive too agressively out on the street. so far i've been pretty lucky. love the guards red though..get compliments all the time.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boy...I'm SURE glad that I didn't get a Red car....wouldn't want to be that noticeable and get those tickets....
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

If they give you a new engine replacement, I dont see what the issue is. Would just make sure it is a NEW engine, given the cost and the car is brand new. My .02. Ross
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcg412
If they give you a new engine replacement, I dont see what the issue is. Would just make sure it is a NEW engine, given the cost and the car is brand new. My .02. Ross
i agree with saintly-i do see what the issue is-he bought a new car, probably spent 130k or more, and wants a factory car-engine combo that started life together in the factory. and he is right-some people would pay him less money at resale time, including some dealers. his dealer advertises on all the local tv stations that there is a saying at his dealership that when you think something is more imprtant than a customer, think again. i would expect the dealership to "walk the walk if they talk the talk". there is probably nothing wrong with putting a new engine in the car, but if he wants a new car after putting out that amount of money, then they ought to make him happy.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with saintly also. This would make steam come out of my ears. Different story if he had 10,000 miles on it. Get yourself a brand new car !
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Greg,

Is your 997TT Cab. black by any chance? If so I believe I saw it at Ray Catena service last week while my 997S was in for warranty service. Very sorry to hear your story. I feel for you man.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM
vixapphire
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaintlySins
I'm so caught up in the situation ... I completely forgot about 'buy-back' option! Does anyone know how that works (on the Porsche/Dealer side) so I can negotiate best deal/compensation package. Thanks.
Gregory - 201-615-9991
call a few lemon law attorneys in your state, choose the one with the most experience and best references (ask for them, and their phone numbers so you can see how the atty treated their cases), and go for it. it's amazing what kind of smokescreens a guy with the right experience can cut through in the time it'll take you to tie your tie and comb your hair in the morning!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
vixapphire
Advanced

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I had an engine replacement in my 996 at 5k miles. I too wanted car replacement, but was told to pound sand. HOnestly at the end of the day engine replacement is not a big deal. I know it seems that it is, but really most car companies are going to component replacement. I'd much rather have a new engine in an already new car than the one they tore apart trying to fix. Really is an entire new car going to change anything? At the end of the day right now you have a new car and will get a new engine in it and you're in the same position as if they gave you a new car only you will be driving this one in a matter of days rather than waiting months. As someone who had the problem, and wanted a new car out of it initially I would honestly go with the new engine and not worry about it. I know that sounds cavalier, but really they solved the problem with the car and I was not out anything.
numbers won't match. don't know how much that matters in porscheworld, but it seems to be a big deal among classic performance car markets. i guess the question then becomes, "do you plan to keep the car for 25 years?"
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to shoot down your Lear jet analogy but private jets have motors replaced all the time.
once one times out and goes in for maintenance another motor is sent out and replaced. The Jet cant afford to be down as long as it takes to rebuild one. All jets are like that including fighters.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

any updates..??

Quick Reply: Need Your Help - bad engine with only 180 miles!