New TT on Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TT on Wednesday

Hi all,

I will be picking up my new 08 TT. It is slate gray with gray interior. Any good advice for a rookie TT owner?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep the shiney side up!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

take it easy the first 1,200-1,500 miles, learn and become one with it. there after drive it like you stole it!!! most important through out the life of your turbo is cool down, never shut her down after high boost periods. drive non boost for a few minutes, let it idle for a minute before shut down.
congrats, you have a fantastic car at your rt foot.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Are you certain the cool down period is necessary? I read somewhere there is a oil recirc system after the engine is shut down so coking is not an issue.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Congrats!! Great color choice if I may say so LOL!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Stradale
Advanced

Don't let the first dozen or so drives be around the block taking people for drives. Plan a few long trips for the first couple of hundred miles (preferably on parkways that dont allow big rigs) varying revs without flooring it. Upon start-up don't let her idle to warm up, drive off keeping the revs down and slow throttle imputs until temps warm up. After driving let her idle a bit to cool down before shutting off. Buy a Griots fuelguard. Get film (clear bra) done immediately, dont wait for chips to do it. Get a couple of quarts of oil from the dealer when you take delivery, just makes it easier & probably free. Remember to always pull the door handles slowly allowing the windows to clear the weather striping & keep your feet off the rockers/sills & remind passengers to do same. Most importantly ENJOY! & CONGRATS!!!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Thanks for input! I did not know several of your suggestions. I will be driving from the Tampa Bay area on Friday to Atlanta, so a nice long interstate trip. I will be picking it up tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

Picked up my new baby..she is 173 inches long and weighs in at about 3500 lbs. Slate gray and beeeeutiful. I notice a little of that Turbo lag upon initial acceleration at a stop lite. As the car breaks in will this improve?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Are you certain the cool down period is necessary? I read somewhere there is a oil recirc system after the engine is shut down so coking is not an issue.
True, the 997 has pumps that recirculate the oil from turbos. my point was for the heavy boost drive it like you stole it cool down(after track races of course).
Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Stradale
Advanced

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
True, the 997 has pumps that recirculate the oil from turbos. my point was for the heavy boost drive it like you stole it cool down(after track races of course).

I know some stuff in the manual should be taken w/ a grain of salt but it does say this in the manual too. That you shouldnt let the car idle to warm-up. Upon start-up, you should drive off & it also mentions letting the car idle for a bit after a drive before shutting it down.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Stradale
Advanced

Originally Posted by davecarson
Picked up my new baby..she is 173 inches long and weighs in at about 3500 lbs. Slate gray and beeeeutiful. I notice a little of that Turbo lag upon initial acceleration at a stop lite. As the car breaks in will this improve?
Congrats!!!! There may be some very, very slight improvement once the car is broken in but for the most part - no Turbo lag isnt going to improve later on. It will be less in other situations. "initial acceleration at a stop lite" will have the most lag versus driving in the higher rpms.

Quick Reply: New TT on Wednesday