Slate vs. Atlas gray / Tip vs. 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
franciscoi
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slate vs. Atlas gray / Tip vs. 6 speed

Hello folks:

I would appreciate feedback from this forum I've read through a number of threads around color and tiptronic but I'm still at a stalemate. Here are the two decisions I'm stuck on.

Atlas Gray vs. Slate Gray. I owned a '05 2S Cab in a Seal Gray and loved the color. I really like the titanium but that would be a costly custom match. Any other gray color I should consider? Willing to pay for upgraded color but not custom color option

Also need to make a decision on the transmission. Tip or manual. My 05 was a stick. I will drive this car primarily on the weekends but occasionally to work in traffic. I enjoy shifting and don't mind the loss of the zero to 60 time. I'm leaning towards the manual. Am I missing anything?

Also, any other must have options I need to consider? Here's my order:

BASE Porsche Base Model
Z4 Slate GrayMetallic
V9 Cabriolet roof in Black
BK Black Interior

P01 Adaptive Sport Seats
342 Heated Front Seats
XME Rear Ctr Cons Painted Extr Clr
XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color
970 Bicolor Interior Instructions
431 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
635 Parking Assist System
XAJ Standard Rocker Panels Painted

640 Sport Chrono Package Turbo
X70 Metal Door Sill Model Insignia

DAJ Exterior Package Painted 1,985.00

Thanks in advance for your input.
Francisco

05 BMW X5 4.8
07 MB CLS 550
Old 11-20-2007, 12:45 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Partial to gray p-cars myself, I had a seal 996tt. Look at meteor in person, it will probably sell you when you see it in shade and sun light. The transmission is a personal preference, I prefer manual due to the the involvement you have with the car. I would add lsd (limited slip diff) if you plan on getting aggresive in the twisties, can avoid tail wagging. Good luck, you will love the car for sure.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,398 Likes on 642 Posts

I like the slate over the atlas personally, with a manual

think about the "red taillights" option, as well as painted headlight nozzle washers- not essential but try and see a car in person and determine if you want a chrome nipple on the front of your car

...oh and if you get the rocker panels painted good chance you're gonna spend some time getting them repainted after a few k miles- rock chips or anything dirty or pebbley is particularly harsh on that angle of the car...I'd rather do the carbon door sills- I got them in my gt3 and am very happy about it. if an extra few hundred bucks isn't a big deal- since you're getting so many things painted- might want to get the "door finishers" painted also- it's a really cool little area to accent on the car.

congrats on your car either way!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

color-your call-it is a personal thing. as far as stick versus tip, i think in the turbo, you gotta get the stick. it is just too good with the stick. why miss that kind of fun? i also agree-get the limited slip. just one more thing-if i could order my car again, i would try and work in the different color stitching on the seats-looks classy. good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:34 AM
franciscoi
Cruisin'

Thank you all for your input. You guys are awesome! I'm sold on the manual transmission now!

I love the suggestions. I will include the all red rear lenses, color match the washer nozle, and get the limited slip diff.

I'll look in to the carbon door sill, painting the door finishers, and carbon door sills. The carbon will probably scratch less. Excellent point about the rocker panels getting chips etc.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

docjackson- I really love the deviating stitching in my car- the only downside on the gt3 is you've also got to order full leather so to get full red stitching I basically had to pay 4500 bucks if memory serves
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM
franciscoi
Cruisin'

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. These are great suggestions! I'm going with the manual!
I'm going to add the red lenses, paint the washer nozzle, add the limited slip diff.

I'll consider the carbon door sill and painting the door finishers. Great point about the rocker panels too.
I thought about the deviated stitching but it only comes in yellow, red and white right? What color thread should I get? It will be a gray car with black interior. Does the thread come in a light gray?

Thanks again. This is great information.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

slate/manual/white stitching.. will be awesome
Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I am partial to the Slate for obvious reasons. But there were two different reasons I bought this car:

#1 - Slate was on my top 3 choices of colors along with White and Meteor.

#2 - The car was ready for delivery and available at MSRP in June of 2006, so I grabbed it and have enjoyed it for nearly 1.5 years.

#3 - The car had all the options I wanted and then some that I didn't need like extra Carbon packages. A CD Changer of all things wasn't on the car, but the dealer installed an OEM one for me.

Here's my Slate:

Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hkim80
slate/manual/white stitching.. will be awesome
white stitching! awesome.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:31 AM
franciscoi
Cruisin'

Mastiffdog, thanks for posting a picture of your car. Beautiful! What interior did you get? I'm thinking of a black interior with white stitching as some folks have suggested. Red may be a little too loud for me. What do you think about that? Will I be disappointed in the wear and tear of that color? What do folks think about a silver stitch?

BTW, do you own a Mastiff? We have two 5.5 month old puppies. They are the sweetest dogs ever. Bothare close to 100 lbs.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:48 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

franciscoi...there was a recent post with a picture of white turbo/ cocoa interior that had white stitching.
I can't attach a link for some reason, but check pg2 of this forum. the title was "My white turbo is finally here!!!" and see if you like white deviated stitching or not.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:56 AM
franciscoi
Cruisin'

Thanks for the lead hkim80. I'll check it out. Sounds nice
Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

If you like Slate or Seal, take a look at METEOR. It is a stunning gray metallic in person with plenty of life.

Atlas is dark, but has some color change aspects, and is quite nice as well, IF you want to go fairly dark.

If you are looking more toward the Seal versions of gray, Meteor is the one:

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts