Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At last: a confirmed build completion date!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 01:54 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

P40s and a Tubi would be tuff to beat!
Love your car!
Old 12-09-2007 | 02:41 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
P40s and a Tubi would be tuff to beat!
Love your car!

I agree a perfect combination, however I am unsure about the exhaust now. Have made enquiries on the Tubi exhaust but after 3 days of driving the car, the stock exhaust actually sounds quite raucous in 1st and 2nd gear. Not vacuum sounding at all!!

In fact, I was accelerating (only lightly) in 1st gear down a one way street (with no pedestrians or side turnings) last night and an old guy right down the end of the road started waving his arms at me to slow down. I wasn't doing more than 20mph, so obviously the car sounds fast even when it isn't being.

When I stopped (due to traffic) at the end of the road and he caught up with me, he didn’t say anything more. So I reckon he thought I was a ‘boy-racer’ with a big sports exhaust from a distance.

So we shall see. Not going to do anything now until next spring/summer I think. Just enjoy the car as it is run in.
Old 12-09-2007 | 05:28 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Nothing wrong with the stock exhaust, but once you have felt that lag free BANG from a free flowing exhaust it is hard to stay stock. The stock exhaust is weakest at the track where it is nearly inaudible with a helmet.
Old 12-09-2007 | 08:05 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Nothing wrong with the stock exhaust, but once you have felt that lag free BANG from a free flowing exhaust it is hard to stay stock. The stock exhaust is weakest at the track where it is nearly inaudible with a helmet.

I know it's just probably Porsche's way of discouraging aftermarket kits, but I was told that reducing the exhaust back-pressure can have detrimental engine effects.

Frankly, I am highly sceptical. However, I wonder why Porsche deliberately has a OEM exhaust system that has so much back-pressure that releasing it could yield another 20 or so BHP.
Old 12-09-2007 | 08:14 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Eclou has done up upgrades to sqeeze another hundred or so HP including an exhaust and races it on the track...he hasnt had any major problems aside from the clutch that i know of.
Old 12-09-2007 | 09:09 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
I know it's just probably Porsche's way of discouraging aftermarket kits, but I was told that reducing the exhaust back-pressure can have detrimental engine effects.

Frankly, I am highly sceptical. However, I wonder why Porsche deliberately has a OEM exhaust system that has so much back-pressure that releasing it could yield another 20 or so BHP.
The main benefit of a free flowing exhaust is the lower EGT and and less turbo lag. I can't see how these could be detrimental to a turbo engine. Keep in mind the GT2 features a free flowing exhaust with less back pressure (and no heat shields). The regular Turbo has a lot of compromises to keep everyone happy and pass sound checks worldwide.
Old 12-10-2007 | 01:24 AM
atomic80
Pro

Congrats, Alex, you've finally got your baby. I'm shocked however to see that you forgot to get CDZ - gear shift trim in leather. You could always do what I did and order this from your parts department though.
Old 12-10-2007 | 05:52 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by atomic80
Congrats, Alex, you've finally got your baby. I'm shocked however to see that you forgot to get CDZ - gear shift trim in leather. You could always do what I did and order this from your parts department though.
Hey Jason, omission of CDZ was deliberate. I thought it was way over-priced for such a small bit of leather.

It's not like I skimped on options in the first place though! Got everything that I really wanted.
Old 12-10-2007 | 10:54 AM
atomic80
Pro

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
Hey Jason, omission of CDZ was deliberate. I thought it was way over-priced for such a small bit of leather.

It's not like I skimped on options in the first place though! Got everything that I really wanted.
Ironically, I managed to get that particular leather piece for half the price through my parts counter post-purchase. Just took me a while to get it.

Quick Reply: At last: a confirmed build completion date!