Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you guys have squealing brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM
2thfixr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the regular steel brakes and 650 miles on the car. From the other forum It appears that the PCCBs are pretty quiet and everyone complaining has steel brakes. The plot thickens! I never had this issue with my other car. The rotors and calipers are supposed to be the same on the 997S, does anyone know if there a difference in pad composition?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaf996cab
No squealing with my PCCBs afetr 15000 miles but I have heard that they can be noisy also.

Jeff
07 TT
usually the only time i get squeaks with my PCCBs, are always the same conditions. Ill come off the highway from 80 to a red light, then drive a short couple hundred feet, slow down and stop waiting for the gate to my community to open. Then i get the squeak as i stop in front of my driveway just before i back into the garage. Just about the only time i can really recreate the brake squeal.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have the regular steel brakes and 650 miles on the car. From the other forum It appears that the PCCBs are pretty quiet and everyone complaining has steel brakes. The plot thickens! I never had this issue with my other car. The rotors and calipers are supposed to be the same on the 997S, does anyone know if there a difference in pad composition?

The brakes are not the same as the 997S. The turbo's brakes are larger and have different calipers and pads and likely different pad compound.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Per the Porsche website,

"The added horsepower of the 911 Carrera S is matched with bigger, more robust four-piston calipers at all four corners. The brakes are derived from the 911 Turbo and feature the same distinctive red paint finish."

Now I'm confused....
Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 PM
AAHTT
Racer

When I roll to a slow stop the brakes start squealing just before the car actually stops moving. It sounds just like a city bus and is really annoying. I posted on another forum and a bunch of 997TT guys posted that they are having the same problem so I thought I would post it here as well. My prev 997S has the same exact brakes and I never had any squealing, the number of 997TT owners responding is making me think there is something to this.

Like others said there is a bulletin on squeaking rear brakes. Mine never squeaked but when I took the car recently to the dealer for the 20k miles service they decided to change my brake pads which were worn, for free.
I suggest you live with yours until it is time to change them and then you'll get it done for free.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Per the Porsche website,

"The added horsepower of the 911 Carrera S is matched with bigger, more robust four-piston calipers at all four corners. The brakes are derived from the 911 Turbo and feature the same distinctive red paint finish."

Now I'm confused....
I believe they are derived from 996 turbo brakes. The 997 turbo has 6 piston calipers in the front.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 AM

I have had the brake squealing problem with a new MB and my current 997 S both were fixed by the dealer replacing the pads and rotors. I have been told that the supplier of brakes may have produced several batches of rotors just slightly out of tolerance which sets up a vibration causing the squeak. If it was just a pad compound change they would not be changing rotors too.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:23 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Periokid
I believe they are derived from 996 turbo brakes. The 997 turbo has 6 piston calipers in the front.
Thanks for the clarification, another example of Porsche's marketing dept hard at work.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
I have had the brake squealing problem with a new MB and my current 997 S both were fixed by the dealer replacing the pads and rotors. I have been told that the supplier of brakes may have produced several batches of rotors just slightly out of tolerance which sets up a vibration causing the squeak. If it was just a pad compound change they would not be changing rotors too.
Was it as simple as letting them know and it was taken care of? I am a little concerned because it was pretty quiet yesterday and today it came back, I don't want to be a victim of the dreaded, "Could not duplicate" service note.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
ArsenalSC
3rd Gear

I had the same thing happen three times over the weekend and was going to post the same question. Red brakes, 1100 miles and it was raining this weekend.....
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

my yellow brakes(PCCBs) were squeakin like crazy yesterday after the run i did. Maybe it was just the cold i dont know, im going to take it out later tonight to see if they are still squeaky if they are im going to mention it to the service guys at the dealership and see whats up.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
2thfixr
Instructor

Thought I would update you guys, I just picked up my car and there is no more brake squeal. I spoke to my tech when I picked it up and he said the car was quiet when he drove it out but on the way back to the dealership it started squealing and never stopped. He said it was really bad because the squealing made the e-brake rotors ring. so he scuffed the rotors, R&R the rear pads and cleaned everything up. I have my fingers crossed and thought I would share the info with all of you guys that have the same squeal. So far, the service trip was worth it.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There's a little game you can play to help lose the squeal. Brake late at stop signs. Really late. (As you're learning this trick make sure no one is in front of you!)
Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 AM
ToffeGT2
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There's a little game you can play to help lose the squeal. Brake late at stop signs. Really late. (As you're learning this trick make sure no one is in front of you!)
I am with u

Mine have only 300mile brakes already squeal, if I try brake it gentle. I meant really really gentle only.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Car has been squeak free.... knock on wood. As far as the brake late thing, I tried that but it was not the safest thing when someone was behind me.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys have squealing brakes?